Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USPSA sourced data of CO division growth and participation

Yeah, I still think Production is the best game. I am sold on RDS for carry. So even if I went back to Production, I'd still shoot CO to stay in practice with a dot. But I'm having fun with CO, even though the 23+1 mag capacity requirement is annoying for multiple reasons.

I am seeing a lot of people getting good fast with CO. That wasn't the case with Production, which seems to require more work to be competitive--at least at up to A class. At M/GM, CO is highly competitive and I'm still struggling to get to where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Clusterfrack felt like that… but now he’s seen the light, lol.

I think he still likes production though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    CO is boring, I can't wait for some "retro nostalgia" to come back and make the game interesting again
    The past few locals have been 30+ dot shooters to myself and one other dude shooting either limited or production.
    At this point I might just say F*** it and either take a break for a season or switch to revolver...
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I am seeing a lot of people getting good fast with CO.
    Because undeniably, it’s a better training tool.

This was a recent local match for us.

Note that I think almost all the “Open” shooters were actually CO shooters with some small thing that put them in Open like a magwell or something like that.
    Who wants to shoot limited and have to deal with .40? Open guns are cool in an of themselves, but again, who wants to deal with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Who wants to shoot limited and have to deal with .40? Open guns are cool in an of themselves, but again, who wants to deal with them?
    The analogous situation was in SCCA autocross 10 years ago when they went from Hoosier race tires in the “normal” divisions to a street tire based classing.

They still had race tire divisions but they atrophied away to novelty level because of the PITA factor plus all the driving talent was in the more accessible class.

That’s what’s happening to USPSA now and it’s not a bad thing. The sport IS becoming CO.

CO was the thing that got me to start shooting USPSA...in 2015. I got a G34 milled for an RMR in 2013 or 2014, and I was annoyed that I couldn't shoot it in IDPA, so when USPSA announced the CO provisional division I started shooting USPSA instead. Then I changed to Limited for awhile because I'd shot IDPA for a long time and at first CO only allowed 10-round mags like Production, and dammit I wanted to compete with more than 10 rounds in a mag for once. Then after I moved to Limited the BOD changed CO to 140mm mags, so I moved back and I've been shooting CO ever since.

I really think the mag capacity thing is a big part of why so many people have moved away from Production to CO. If Production 15 was a thing, I don't think CO would be nearly as popular as it is now.

Ancient history.
    In the early 1990s an IPSC shooter here was using a Glock 24 with a very low mounted red dot, I think a Tasco.
    No bovine sights, just place the dot and shoot.

That fell in Open, even without a compensator but the race gun market was not fully developed and she was not at a great disadvantage.

Nothing new under the sun.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The analogous situation was in SCCA autocross 10 years ago when they went from Hoosier race tires in the “normal” divisions to a street tire based classing.
    That’s pretty interesting. It was about 15 years ago that I wanted to dip my toes into autocross but the tire thing was what ultimately turned me off. I probably could have afforded it, but it was enough ongoing expense and hassle that I decided autocross probably wasn’t for me. I wonder if there are people in that mindset that are more likely to pick up USPSA shooting 9mm and a slide ride dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    That’s pretty interesting. It was about 15 years ago that I wanted to dip my toes into autocross but the tire thing was what ultimately turned me off. I probably could have afforded it, but it was enough ongoing expense and hassle that I decided autocross probably wasn’t for me. I wonder if there are people in that mindset that are more likely to pick up USPSA shooting 9mm and a slide ride dot.
    Absolutely yes.

High cap CO was what let me start USPSA in 2019 and as someone that doesn’t reload, having Syntech as competitive ammunition meant a lot to me.

There are a TON of parallels between autocross and action pistol.

Visualization being the main one. Knowing the course by walking it and executing it just like you walked it.

The better the driver, the more fleshed out and detailed the visualization is.

Instead of knowing what your car can do, it’s knowing what your gun / shooting mechanics can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    …But I'm having fun with CO, even though the 23+1 mag capacity requirement is annoying for multiple reasons.
    Can you say more about this? By “requirement,” do you mean in order to be competitive at a high level, or something else?

I’ve shot IDPA and similar outlaw matches over the years and I’ve decided to take on USPSA—my first match in 25 years is tomorrow morning, actually — shooting my LTT RDO in CO. My (standard -sized) MecGar mags hold 18 rds. I’m not expecting to be any master competitor, but I’m just wondering how big a deal 5 more rounds will be. I don’t know what I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Can you say more about this? By “requirement,” do you mean in order to be competitive at a high level, or something else?

I’ve shot IDPA and similar outlaw matches over the years and I’ve decided to take on USPSA—my first match in 25 years is tomorrow morning, actually — shooting my LTT RDO in CO. My (standard -sized) MecGar mags hold 18 rds. I’m not expecting to be any master competitor, but I’m just wondering how big a deal 5 more rounds will be. I don’t know what I don’t know.
    You will want 140mm mags.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List