Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Features of a 870/590 Shotgun WML

Design Features of a 870/590 Shotgun WML

We know what we don't like...Do we know what we want?

Integrated into the forend or add on WML?

Ergonomics?

Activation method and location?
    How would you turn it on and where would you place the activation?

Constant on or momentary only?

Lumens?

Will it work with SBS models?

Anything else?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

I think it needs to be integrated into the forend, or mounted to the forend. A switch needs to be easy to hit while the hand is in firing position, which means a remote switch, and running a cable between a pump handle (which moves) and the barrel (which doesn't move) is always gonna result in too much loose wire IMO.

On my 870, I have a Streamlight HL-X mounted to a GG&G adapter right now, using the tailcap switch. It works but it's less than ideal. I can turn it on, shoot things, and then turn it off, but using momentary switching is obviously a no-go. It's kind of awkward to reach the tailcap currently, but the light is also far enough away from my hand that the light doesn't hit my hand on recoil so I think that's an acceptable trade-off.

The purely utilitarian choice would be to get something like the Vang railed forend and mount a light directly to it, but I can't bear to take the police wood off the gun.

I have no opinions on lumens/candela worth listening to. I need more low-light experience first.

Any advantage regarding battery configuration, side by side vs. in line? I remember TCinVA mentioning batteries getting smashed in the in line configuration. I imagine with the back and forth action along with recoil, it might be more of an issue than with an auto.

Given that all the available options are sub-optimal I'm disappointed there are no suggestions for what an optimal light set would be.

In reverse order ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Given that all the available options are sub-optimal I'm disappointed there are no suggestions for what an optimal light set would be.
    Let's see, it was a match day and we aren't even twelve hours since the thread was posted ...

We know what we don't like...Do we know what we want?

Integrated into the forend or add on WML?

Ergonomics?

Activation method and location?
    How would you turn it on and where would you place the activation?

Constant on or momentary only?

Lumens?

Will it work with SBS models?

Anything else?
    Looking at what the SF 618 line became, I'd prefer something that was not integral unless (& I'll come back to this).

Regardless of where it attaches to the forearm, I want to be able to activate it with both the thumb and the finger tips of the hand working the forearm;
    I want both momentary and constant-on capability;
    A clicky tailcap with a wired rocker switch at the end of a 6-8" cable would make me very happy. Hit the clicky with my thumb and the rocker with my finger tips. Limiting the cord length would hold it close to the forearm without much slack.

Lumens? 600+ but 70K+ candela from a reflector that'll give some spill but enough throw to get positive ID beyond 50 yards;

The set-up I envision with the above would work with a SBS.

I'd have the raised, curved mount that was recently shown here with a wired clicky switch. This requires a forearm (like the Magpul or the new Vang model) with Pic rail sections at both 3 and 9 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    In reverse order ...

Let's see, it was a match day and we aren't even twelve hours since the thread was posted ...

Looking at what the SF 618 line became, I'd prefer something that was not integral unless (& I'll come back to this).

Regardless of where it attaches to the forearm, I want to be able to activate it with both the thumb and the finger tips of the hand working the forearm;
    I want both momentary and constant-on capability;
    A clicky tailcap with a wired rocker switch at the end of a 6-8" cable would make me very happy. Hit the clicky with my thumb and the rocker with my finger tips. Limiting the cord length would hold it close to the forearm without much slack.

Lumens? 600+ but 70K+ candela from a reflector that'll give some spill but enough throw to get positive ID beyond 50 yards;

The set-up I envision with the above would work with a SBS.

I'd have the raised, curved mount that was recently shown here with a wired clicky switch. This requires a forearm (like the Magpul or the new Vang model) with Pic rail sections at both 3 and 9 o'clock.
    Do these components currently exist?

Do these components currently exist?
    Yes. Though maybe not in the form I'm envisioning. But yes, they do.

Integrating my "design" or vision into a forearm might not be too doable. However ... The Pic rail and pressure switches could be molded into the forearm. I'd like to see an integral electrical connection in the mount between the pressure switch and the light body. Think the "good" features Olight has without the bad outcomes they are known for.

And all of this might be vapor ware currently.

eta: Alternatively, mold a channel above the surface of a Magpul or Vang forearm with tabs that would take and hold the cabling as it ran from the light mount to the switch mount.

Yes. Though maybe not in the form I'm envisioning. But yes, they do.
    I tried the mount you're referring to on a magpul forend with a surefire M300.

The light extended beyond the barrel on the SBS.

I tried the mount you're referring to on a magpul forend with a surefire M300.

The light extended beyond the barrel on the SBS.
    I can't recall if the SF P2X/P3X Fury I used on my issued SBS sat just behind, flush, or IFO the barrel. Regardless, it was not an issue for me and I probably used that for at least 10 of the 15 years I carried it.

User Tag List