Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red vs Green?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Red pops because it's not as common in nature.
    This was my line of reasoning as well but then again I don't have any experience at all to back it up. I am sure a green dot would work fine otherwise they wouldn't be making them. That said I don't want something that is really awesome in perfect conditions but lack luster in others. I want one that will show up on the brightest of days when it's 99 degrees outside while using less than friendly background colors.

As for now it's all still a theory but that's my logic at least.

It's whatever works best for YOU.

I have RDS on rifles that're red/green, and have tried the green, prefer and always use the red, just stands out as brighter and more visible to me.

So when it came time to adopt them for pistol, the choice was clear, for continuity.

Green is brighter in my eyes, and I prefer it for fiber optic front sights on handguns. I thought a green dot would be a good idea, and put one on my 1301. It works great, unless the background is similar in color to the green dot, as I discovered on Kodiak Island. Then dot pretty much disappeared, which was not really good when I just saw a grizzly at a carcass 500yds away.

The brightness advantage really isn't an advantage anyway, because you can turn any quality red dot up as bright as you could ever need.

So, I've settled on red dots. But also green lasers on guns that have visible lasers (Eg. TLR-8).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I prefer green on dots and ACOG's. My eyes just seem to pick it up better. I wouldn't sell a good red dot optic just to get green though.

I've found red better and I standardize on red because I know any optic that comes out whether collimated dot or traditional scope will have a red option. It simplifies training.
    There are 2 main reasons I see for people preferring green:
    1. They have some sort of red color blindness and it makes green better for them.
    2. Green seems to be a little less affected by astigmatism in the eye. Astigmatism is a way overblown issue with dots but it's hard for new users to get past.

That said, when it comes to fiber optic front sights, green has an advantage in low light as it gathers light ambient light better than red, although red will win in broad daylight if you have normal color perception.

Green works way better for me, based on both carbine (comp2 vs acog) and pistol (RMR vs 407k) — especially at night.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I prefer red dots but green lasers. Definitely will take first hand experience to know for sure.
    ^^This right here. I much prefer the consistency of having my RDS the same color across the board and I want to be able to immediately differentiate between my optic and laser.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Partially/mostly colored blind here

red dots and green lasers for me
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have been watching videos and reading about this subject for a long time so I am kind of beating a dead horse. But I have never actually held a green handgun dot in my own hands. I am wondering if anyone has any first hand opinions one way or another.
    It's going to depend on your eyes.

I have trouble with red in general due to my color blindness. I need a typical red dot optic to be set to maximum or very near maximum to see it in bright light.

I can see a green dot much more easily in a wider range of circumstances.

Others have the exact opposite experience.

All of that said, I carry an Acro P2...but set to one notch below maximum. On the P1 I carry it set to maximum.

The open emitter optics I use the most are green.
    3/15/2016

I have less than ideal color vision.

I see green better and more importantly, have more "usable" brightness settings with green. With red, I get about three usable settings in normal daylight with an RMR and two with Holosun and the MPS. With the MPS, I am unable to disable auto-shutoff because I NEED that top setting. With Holosun greens, my "default" setting for all light conditions is three down from the top. It gives me a lot more range.

If you see red fine, there's no need to pay more for green.

User Tag List