Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red vs Green?

Red vs Green?

I have been watching videos and reading about this subject for a long time so I am kind of beating a dead horse. But I have never actually held a green handgun dot in my own hands. I am wondering if anyone has any first hand opinions one way or another.

I prefer red.

I know people who prefer red and people who prefer green. I think for most either can work. If you are concerned which is best you need to try them. There’s nothing that can be said here that’s a substitution for that.

I prefer red dots but green lasers. Definitely will take first hand experience to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The terrain and backdrop along with your particular color vision palate Can make a huge difference.

On a grassy backdrop on a bright day, the green dot wasn’t as good as the red for me.

On a red rocky clay and dirt background and setting sun the red wasn’t as good.

I have a piss yellow “gold dot” which works well indoors but not my favorite outdoors.

I’m waiting for blue dot technology to come of age.

In general for my environments, red works best.

I think it is highly dependent on your particular vision and how you perceive red vs. green.

I have used 5 "red" dots with no apparent issues. I've also wondered if green would work better, but I've never seen a "green" dot in use to be able to decide.

I did tape a couple fiber optic rods onto a block of wood once, one green and one red, and held them out at arms length to see if I could tell any difference. As I recall I preferred red more, which is why I will probably go ahead and use red again for my next optic purchase (a EPS Carry Red 6) I have in mind.

The green dot intensity of two Holosun pistol optics didn't seem as bright as with red Holosun optics.

There was a thought that green might be better in a low sun angle, but that did not pan out.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I have both, but prefer red...but oddly, prefer green over red for fiber-optic front sights.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I have both, but prefer red...but oddly, prefer green over red for fiber-optic front sights.
    Yup, I also prefer green FO over red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks everyone for the input. I saw the optic I am looking for, but only in green. My environment is dominated by green. Until I can find a green dot (anywhere) on display I think I should stick to what I know.

Jockeying for almost any product is getting old. I only found one Holosun EPS Carry in stock (MRS version) but by the time they take shipping and tax that particular seller wants $530 for it. Other places have it listed for $399 with free shipping and some don't take sales tax.

The same place has a green version in stock for about $40 LESS which is odd because usually the green is a bit more expensive.

Anyway looks like I need to practice more patience.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Like @SoCalDep said, nothing is going to substitute for actual use of the dots to evaluate how they interact with your vision and environment. I will say that when I was evaluating which color fiber optics to use, I saw that while green appeared slightly brighter to my eyes, it washed out easily. And the reality is that as far as backgrounds go, outside of some areas of the southwest, there is far more shades of green in both the natural world and urban environment than there are red. Red pops because it's not as common in nature.

User Tag List