Thread: Help troubleshoot an 80% G19 clone.

Site Supporter

Help troubleshoot an 80% G19 clone.

I’m trying to figure out a problem with a G19 build for a friend. It’s a parts build with Glock small parts but the rest is stuff from Brownells; can’t get any more specific. He built two; one with a threaded barrel and agency comp with a rds cut slide and the other with a standard slide. The one with a comp and dot was failing to eject but firing. The standard one was working correctly. I diagnosed some of the reason the gun with the compensator was having so many issues ejecting as needing a lighter recoil spring. I dropped from 18 pound spring down to a 15 pound spring and was not having as many ejection issues but was having failure to fires, then I dropped a 14 pound spring and was having even more failure to fires. I dropped to a 13 pound spring and could not get any fires at all. Thinking about all of those misfires they all had one thing in common. They were light strikes on the primers and were off-center. It looks like the reason for the off-center and light strikes is that the slide is slightly out of battery when the striker is dropping. One working theory is the stock striker spring is overpowering the lightweight Wolff spring and forcing the slide slightly out of battery. I especially think there’s an out of battery problem as forcing the barrel into battery will fire a primer with a centered strike. (See picture). He says the problem is the recoil spring is too light but I maintain it’s more likely a barrel or slide fitment issue. Any thoughts from our Glock armorers? The pic below shows an off-center light strike and a centered full-strike.

Name:  438545CB-D362-4502-8DF1-63E138596C4D.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  45.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I especially think there’s an out of battery problem as forcing the barrel into battery will fire a primer with a centered strike. (See picture)
    How hard to force it into battery?

Does the threaded barrel go into battery w/o the comp attached?

Is the chamber on the threaded barrel within spec?

Stock spring is 18 pounds. IMO you need to get it functional with the stock spring before you start tuning for slide cycling characteristics and/or ejection pattern.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    How hard to force it into battery?

Does the threaded barrel go into battery w/o the comp attached?

Is the chamber on the threaded barrel within spec?

Stock spring is 18 pounds. IMO you need to get it functional with the stock spring before you start tuning for slide cycling characteristics and/or ejection pattern.
    I don’t have answers to those questions but that’s good troubleshooting advice. Thanks

I'm trying not to shit on his guns but that’s the number one reason I’d buy parts made to work together or a complete gun from the manufacturer rather than random parts.

@TOTS yes to all of the above

It’s exactly what you’re thinking. Too strong RSA for the comp.

Too light RSA for whatever else is going on.

The question is whether the gun is returning fully to battery after shooting or if the gun never makes it fully back (more likely).

You can test for the stock striker spring being too strong for the RSA by seeing if the slide moves when you pull the trigger in dry.

In general 13-14 pound recoil springs have been sufficient to hold the slides closed against trigger pulls for me.

My leading theory is that he might have screwed the comp on too far and it’s binding and preventing the barrel from fully seating with enough wiggle. There has to be a gap between the comp and the slide so that the comp doesnt pull the barrel forward into the slide and prevent it from seating fully after recoil. Try having him back the comp out one or two threads and try again with the 14.

Site Supporter
    Have y’all made sure that there isn’t a too-long RDS mounting screw projecting into the extractor channel and impeding the extractor or extractor spring?

Glocks have 3 springs and they have to be in balance with one another. What weight are the trigger and striker springs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Glocks have 3 springs and they have to be in balance with one another. What weight are the trigger and striker springs?
    Stock Glock springs

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @TOTS yes to all of the above

You can test for the stock striker spring being too strong for the RSA by seeing if the slide moves when you pull the trigger in dry.

In general 13-14 pound recoil springs have been sufficient to hold the slides closed against trigger pulls for me.

My leading theory is that he might have screwed the comp on too far and it’s binding and preventing the barrel from fully seating with enough wiggle. There has to be a gap between the comp and the slide so that the comp doesnt pull the barrel forward into the slide and prevent it from seating fully after recoil. Try having him back the comp out one or two threads and try again with the 14.
    Pulled the comp off and pulling the trigger with the stock striker spring and 13 lb recoil definitely pushed the slide forward. He put the stock assembly back in and will shoot some through it to break it in and then get some lighter striker springs and try again.

User Tag List