Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man fatally shoots himself in the groin while attempting U-turn

While this is a tragedy, I'm sure there will be some ribbing of Sauce Gardner in the ensuing weeks.

RIBbing of SAUCE....

I see what you did there...
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

ETA: I just picked that Sig model not because I’m aggressively after Sig, but just it is representative of what I’m explaining.
    Yeah it's not just Sig...it's the same thing with other gun companies. Anyone can get this work

I recently tried a Walther Psomething...I don't remember because it was marketed as this Glock 19 sized "carry gun", but the trigger was lighter and shorter than some 1911s I've had (not good ones mind you) and I gave it an immediate "No, I'd never carry this"

And same for HKs VP9 or the M&Ps loaded to the hilt with Apex trigger kits and no safeties or the CZ P10s and so on. It's not even that the triggers are light...they're just so damn short.

Fully cocked strikers means the gun is basically a SAO with zero safeties and a trigger with a super short throw...this guy won't be the last one to shoot himself carrying one of these joints.

I'll pass.

The TDA was famously once referred to as a "solution looking for a problem"

But folks, we found the problem.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

This is brilliant. It took a generation, but you are spot on. I’m old enough to have been around when Glocks first hit the scene, and there were all these stories about the reps going to police departments with Glocks and blanks/primer only cases and throwing G17s end-over-end down the range to prove that the damn things were safe, despite no external levers.

I don’t see a Sig P320 demo—to pick on one obvious example—working out quite the same way. I’ll coin another one:

“Institutionalized normalization of deviancy.”
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    My theory: AIWB, no holster, gun shifted uncomfortably, reached to correct, hit the trigger and boom. Did the gun have a decocker?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Yeah it's not just Sig...it's the same thing with other gun companies. Anyone can get this work

I recently tried a Walther Psomething...I don't remember because it was marketed as this Glock 19 sized "carry gun", but the trigger was lighter and shorter than some 1911s I've had (not good ones mind you) and I gave it an immediate "No, I'd never carry this"

And same for HKs VP9 or the M&Ps loaded to the hilt with Apex trigger kits and no safeties or the CZ P10s and so on. It's not even that the triggers are light...they're just so damn short.

Fully cocked strikers means the gun is basically a SAO with zero safeties and a trigger with a super short throw...this guy won't be the last one to shoot himself carrying one of these joints.

I'll pass.

The TDA was famously once referred to as a "solution looking for a problem"

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I am hoping, and thinking that we will see a pendulum swing just like we do with most other things related to firearms.

When 9 mm first came out it was a wimpy, girly round, then it became the big hotness, then it went back to being get you killed in the streets, and now it's back as the choice of most both law enforcement as well as civilians.

Same kind of thing for triggers. We started off with light, then went heavy, and now we're back in the middle of a light and short as possible swing.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I am hoping, and thinking that we will see a pendulum swing just like we do with most other things related to firearms.

When 9 mm first came out it was a wimpy, girly round, then it became the big hotness, then it went back to being get you killed in the streets, and now it's back as the choice of most both law enforcement as well as civilians.

Same kind of thing for triggers. We started off with light, then went heavy, and now we're back in the middle of a light and short as possible swing.
    Unless there is a massive, massive shift in the way people think about marksmanship, training standards, and the amount of effort we are willing to expend to bring those with 0 firearms knowledge up to the ability to pass a Qual, I don’t see a shift back to DA/SA ever happening in LE.

Cost/Benefit analysis had a hand in the 9mm swing. It wasn’t the only reason, but it definitely put some weight on the scale.

I love me some DA/SA. Even I can’t and won’t deny that it’s gonna take more training hours (read $$) to get someone that’s never handled a gun before up to state minimum standards with one than one of the newer SAO, er, striker fired guns. Last I knew, departments were cash strapped as is and were doing less training, not more.

Then throw in the issues with smaller hands and DA trigger reach. The remedy used to be something like the S&W 3906, but nobody reputable makes anything like that anymore.

Throw it all in a pot, simmer for a bit, and it all adds up to me to a recipe for LE staying with strikers for the foreseeable future.

Hey Ahmad, that's not what we mean by "blow job".
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    5 is enough when you have two balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Unless there is a massive, massive shift in the way people think about marksmanship, training standards, and the amount of effort we are willing to expend to bring those with 0 firearms knowledge up to the ability to pass a Qual, I don’t see a shift back to DA/SA ever happening in LE.

Cost/Benefit analysis had a hand in the 9mm swing. It wasn’t the only reason, but it definitely put some weight on the scale.

I love me some DA/SA. Even I can’t and won’t deny that it’s gonna take more training hours (read $$) to get someone that’s never handled a gun before up to state minimum standards with one than one of the newer SAO, er, striker fired guns. Last I knew, departments were cash strapped as is and were doing less training, not more.

Then throw in the issues with smaller hands and DA trigger reach. The remedy used to be something like the S&W 3906, but nobody reputable makes anything like that anymore.

Throw it all in a pot, simmer for a bit, and it all adds up to me to a recipe for LE staying with strikers for the foreseeable future.
    Agree with your points.

Not really not saying I'm expecting a swing all the way back to da/sa, but at least back to Firearms with slightly heavier and longer pull triggers.

Kind of funny to think that now a Glock is considered a heavier and longer and more difficult to pull trigger. When they first came out everyone was so scared about how easy they would be to go off unintentionally.

If they ever can get a time machine to work, I'd love to take a P320/ vp9, Etc back into the late '80s, early 90s and show up when Glock was presenting their gun to Major law enforcement agencies. After their presentation is done then I could stand up and say hey, check out these cool handguns with even lighter and shorter triggers!

User Tag List