Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

@BWT

1. Good job putting it out there.
    2. See why I said don’t bother with concealment? Have to work on the fundamentals first.
    3. Non related drills might be better off in your journal.
    4. Keep pushing the time and work to learning what it looks like when it’s a pull off paper.
    5. Keep track of how many hits on paper and once that tightens up then you can go to measuring.
    6. Keep working it in dry.

Edit: watched the 3 yard.
    Go for more aggression on the first phases of the draw. You’re losing 3/10ths on the reaction and getting the gun out.
    The splits were solid but keep your vision on. I wasn’t sure if you were looking or tracking the second shot… seemed like you were just throwing a pair out there? Each shot should have some vision of you can.

Also, do the dry on a timer. You’re slow mo-ing the dry draws and that’s not the point. The point is to go full speed and aggression in dry so you know what that looks like without the noise and wiggle of live.

@BWT I guarantee if you practice this in dry and try to make the times (both shots in under the par time, not just the draw), you’ll have a LOT of improvement.

Guarantee if you pound this for a couple weeks in dry you’ll be impressed with how far it comes.

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION TIME? ANYONE WANT TO COMMIT?

My plea / challenge to people out there is:

JANUARY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION:

ONE MONTH DRY TRAINING

Do the SWYNTS training in dry fire 5x per week. It should only take 10 min of time per day (you can do more if you want to).

Scaled it can be:

At 7 yards real distance have pasters sized 1" (for 15 yards scaled), 2" for 7 yards and 4" for 3 yards.

Do 10 reps of 2.0 seconds (total two shots each rep), 10 reps of 1.5 seconds and 10 reps of 1.0 seconds.

Work on trying to get as much muzzle stability before and THROUGH each press (follow through!) for each shot within the time allotted.

If you don't have 7 yards in your house, you can do 3 yards: trace a dime and blacken it in for the 15 yards, 1" for 7 yards and 2" for 3 yards.

Who is in? Would love for people to commit here for accountability and post early baseline runs.

It's only ONE MONTH. And it's winter... what do you have to lose? It's pure dry fire only. You can confirm with live as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

ONE MONTH DRY TRAINING

Do the SWYNTS training in dry fire 5x per week. It should only take 10 min of time per day (you can do more if you want to).

Scaled it can be:

At 7 yards real distance have pasters sized 1" (for 15 yards scaled), 2" for 7 yards and 4" for 3 yards.

Do 10 reps of 2.0 seconds (total two shots each rep), 10 reps of 1.5 seconds and 10 reps of 1.0 seconds.

Work on trying to get as much muzzle stability before and THROUGH each press (follow through!) for each shot within the time allotted.

If you don't have 7 yards in your house, you can do 3 yards: trace a dime and blacken it in for the 15 yards, 1" for 7 yards and 2" for 3 yards.

Who is in? Would love for people to commit here for accountability and post early baseline runs.

It's only ONE MONTH. And it's winter... what do you have to lose? It's pure dry fire only. You can confirm with live as you go along.
    I'll be the first to bite and commit. Although I'll have to do it starting at position 2 from the draw since I'm still waiting on a holster.

This is awesome (whatever happened in the DOTW section?)

Pistol: G19 build (G23 frame, OEM G19 barrel, Aim Surplus slide w/ Swampfox Justice, what I've been carrying lately)

Holster: Blackhawk sporter, open top, NO concealment.

Times written on targets, zoom in if needed (time of string, time for 1st shot/split, and it really helped my analysis to average them).

Name:  20221224_205819.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  20221224_205851.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  20221224_205902.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  18.5 KB

What I found especially helpful was 2 or 3 dryfire runs between strings, not just one. It is great reinforcement, and something I've begun to do on my own already, at times.

No way I can meet these par times without being all over the place....but I found MY center, which is what counts! I actually "floored it" at 3 yd, still can't quite get there.

Discounted one flier (at 15yd, that flier was off the board entirely), measured from next farthest to center.

Cool thing about this is, I see a big group and think "meh", but then compare it to the 5" or 8" COM of a common silhouette, and it's not half bad. See:

Name:  20221225_122918.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  23.4 KB

Similar thing happens when I put 1" pasters in the middle of targets, as "focus dots", really drives home the oft quoted "aim small miss small" concept for me....I can get sloppy and think "hit silhouette", and push to think "hit small part of silhouette!".

This is a really good excercise in balancing speed and accuracy. Chasing the par time isn't GO/NO GO, but a goal to push toward. Great way to find YOUR "center".

My splits are slow at 15yd, but that's how much I need the gun to settle to make another decent hit at that distance. At 7 and 3, I'm really just riding the bounce.

I believe my trigger press is sloppy, due to lack of dryfire over the last 4 weeks or so.

It is revealing to see the groups be roughly the same size. Makes alot of sense, if you're running it right.

Finally, was fun to shoot this way for a change, as I'm always shooting either from retention holsters, or from concealment.

PLEASE, any observations or critiques from you guys "in the know" would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 12-25-2022 at 03:35 PM.

@ViniVidivici awesome job and observations. You absolutely got the point of the drill.

Can I count on your New Years Resolution to dry fire this?

It’s novel to primarily work a par time goal and a secondary size goal, but it’s absolutely necessary to get faster with accuracy. It’s what’s missing in a lot of traditional training.

So can I count on you for 50 min a week of dry fire.

I think you’ll improve a lot and be super happy at the end of a month!

I don't do New Years Resolutions, I just do shit! HA! And hell yes, I will be following this dryfire regimen for the month, I think it'll be greatly beneficial.

One thing I'd already started doing is just that...using a timer in dryfire. I think it's underrated, and can lead to improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

ONE MONTH DRY TRAINING

Scaled it can be:

I’ll do this.

On the second shot, I’m just working my finger as if I’m pulling the trigger if using a gun that doesn’t reset?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I’ll do this.

On the second shot, I’m just working my finger as if I’m pulling the trigger if using a gun that doesn’t reset?
    Yes! The key is to REALLY pay attention to any Micro movement of the sight or dot through the first and second presses. Try and simulate the amount of reset and strength needed for the follow up shots and really try and imagine and visualize the shots going off.

With Glocks, for dryfire, some of the presses I do as normal, to the break. Some, for training multiple presses, you can jam a small bit of material between the barrel hood and the ejection port (keeps the slide from being 100% in battery...I use a piece of credit card stock, 1/8" x 1/4"), and do multiple presses to your heart's content.

User Tag List