Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

^^^ It has been great for me too. Try it for 30 days, you will be surprised at the improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    ^^^ It has been great for me too. Try it for 30 days, you will be surprised at the improvement.
    Hey James, humor me and tell me how much more time did you spend per day / week on SWYNTS compared to what you were doing before (that didn’t move the needle)?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If anyone is on the fence about doing this, we can do a relaxed time frame or lower standard version.

Post up, I have some extra mental bandwidth to help in the next couple weeks! Happy to help review and design specific times and mechanics for people who want some help.

@CraigS
    @dogcaller
    OK, here goes...

Name:  IMG_4577.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4578.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4579.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  23.6 KB

I ran it in reverse order--3yds to 15 yds, because, although I had the range to myself, we're not supposed to be in front of the firing line--but I needed to be for the 3yd stage and I figured someone would show up eventually.

I knew the times were tighter than my dryfire times--so I'd be over.

This was my first time ever videoing myself. At 3yds I somehow neglected to record one of my scores, and at 7 yds I only made 4 live runs. At 15 yds I was trying to beat the time and only made half of the hits.

3yds:

1.15 + .25=1.40
    1.08 +.23= 1.31
    1.02 + .24= 1.26
    1.08 + .25= 1.33

I will admit to being surprised that I could make a draw and hit in under 1.2

4" from center, but shots generally centerd

7yds:

1.39 + .29= 1.68
    1.35 + .27= 1.62
    1.37 + .26= 1.63
    1.42 + .26= 1.68

All shots on paper with farthest (after discarded flier) @ 3". I was reasonably successful at calling my shots @ 7yds

15 yds: the wheels fell off.

1.58 + .36= 1.94 (2M)
    1.59 + .41= 2.0 (2M)
    1.69 + .36= 2.05
    1.59 + .29= 1.8 (1M)
    1.52 + .38=1.90

5 misses and 5 hits. The shots looked good in dryfire, but I was not able to replicate in live fire, and was not able to call my shots. 5.5" from center

I don't expect anyone to watch these unedited clips, but if someone wanted to critique, feel free: 3yds. 7 yds.. My 15 yd video didn't come out.

@dogcaller

Great looking fundamentals! You are going to get a lot out of this drill if you stick with it. It's not just a test, but it's training.

You're doing everything basically correctly. The drill will train your muscles to do it faster and more accurately.

I will admit to being surprised that I could make a draw and hit in under 1.2
    You'll do better than that if you keep working the reaction time and muscles to get the gun out faster! But people don't work that part of "shooting" very much and they don't get practice at it!

This video I posted earlier in the thread but it totally applies to you:

If you keep working at the reaction time off beep and aggression out of the holster... AND KEEP THAT LEVEL OF AGGRESSION EVEN AT THE 15 YARD distance but slow down for the visual refinement (and trigger press).

Also for the 15 yard dry fire try and make the best trigger presses of your life. In the 0.30-40 split you have to get the gun back on target but you also have to reduce as much trigger press wobble as you can.

That's why this is a great drill and named what it is.

You're not doing the same thing at different distances, the first phase of the draw should be identical and there should be additional VISUAL and TRIGGER PRESS requirements at each stage.

If you give yourself the goal of 20 min 5x per week for 30 days, with how good your fundamentals are... you're going to see a shit ton of improvement and I'll be here to help.

@dogcaller

A couple extra things I've learned from people in this thread:

1. Make sure you warm up to avoid injury. Max speed draws are like sprints. You don't want to do that cold. At a match, can warm up with some practice draws at the safe table or mocking the movements as you're on deck.
    2. You can do other things / drills / tests during your dry and live fire as well, the improvements in performance will carry over.
    3. Feel free to take extra time to keep working on parts of the drill, keep your brain active and work on what you need working on. It's not a strict structure, it's more of a framework.

Hey James, humor me and tell me how much more time did you spend per day / week on SWYNTS compared to what you were doing before (that didn’t move the needle)?
    To begin with, I actually reduced the time. I did some warm ups then trigger control at speed, then ten reps of the 3 SWYNTS drills. That only took 12-15 minutes. The results became obvious at about 10 days in. That motivated me even more so I increased my time to 30-45 minutes, five days per week. I over did it and developed some hand and finger issues so I've now backed down to about 25 minutes per day, 5 days per week. I'm lucky in that I have at least one match locally every weekend. I try to take one day per week with no gun contact to let my joints simmer down.

To begin with, I actually reduced the time. I did some warm ups then trigger control at speed, then ten reps of the 3 SWYNTS drills. That only took 12-15 minutes. The results became obvious at about 10 days in. That motivated me even more so I increased my time to 30-45 minutes, five days per week. I over did it and developed some hand and finger issues so I've now backed down to about 25 minutes per day, 5 days per week. I'm lucky in that I have at least one match locally every weekend. I try to take one day per week with no gun contact to let my joints simmer down.
    Oh sorry, what I was getting at was:

How much were you dry firing before SWYNTS?

I was trying to make the point that this is efficient practice and practicing something that helps a lot but is often neglected.

People criticize my progress saying it’s because I live in my parents’ basement, unemployed and dry firing 8 hours a day (I don’t, lol).

My point is that I’m so good at parsing out efficiency that I can help others get better quicker than they could or did on their own… without spending a lot more time than they previously did.

That’s my postulate. Haha.

My previous routine was about 30 minutes so my initial stages of SWYNTS cut that time in half.

My previous routine was about 30 minutes so my initial stages of SWYNTS cut that time in half.
    Thank you! That’s what I’ve been trying to convince people. That it’s not just that I’m brute forcing progress. It’s finesse and training you how to train.

Oh sorry, what I was getting at was:

How much were you dry firing before SWYNTS?

I was trying to make the point that this is efficient practice and practicing something that helps a lot but is often neglected.

People criticize my progress saying it’s because I live in my parents’ basement, unemployed and dry firing 8 hours a day (I don’t, lol).

My point is that I’m so good at parsing out efficiency that I can help others get better quicker than they could or did on their own… without spending a lot more time than they previously did.

That’s my postulate. Haha.
    Lol at unemployed living in parents basement dry firing all.day

User Tag List