Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    In the spirit of JCN multi-tasking, I'm learning this gun through a strong emphasis on the the Doubles Drill and SWYNTS, with a minor emphasis in 25 yard bulls.

I've been shooting the CZ P-07/09 in DA/SA mode for the last 3 years. Long, boring story short, I'm trying to fix a software problem with a hardware solution.

If that doesn't answers your question, feel free to drag it out of me.
    Awesome!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the software problem you were having? Inconsistency with the initial DA press? Context helps me in case you encounter a milder version of it with the Smith and Wesson.

With a stock P07 without lighter hammer spring and without reach reduction kit, the initial stretch ergos of getting to the trigger can be tough... especially without long fingers. It's easy to side load the trigger in the initial phase of the prep and the trigger weight itself is quite substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN
    Awesome!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the software problem you were having? Inconsistency with the initial DA press? Context helps me in case you encounter a milder version of it with the Smith and Wesson.

With a stock P07 without lighter hammer spring and without reach reduction kit, the initial stretch ergos of getting to the trigger can be tough... especially without long fingers. It's easy to side load the trigger in the initial phase of the prep and the trigger weight itself is quite substantial.
    I don't want to derail the thread. In the unlikely chance that anyone else is interested, my rambling response is here.
    David S.

Name:  PXL_20230304_220412692.MP.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  34.8 KB

I was a little sloppy today. Was I trading speed for accuracy? Maybe, I did make my par times at 15 and at 7 and actually made it once at 3 for the first time. That tells me there is hope. I was back to seeing more in dry than in live. Hmm.

One thing I noticed with this drill is it drives home just how important your initial index is and how much that can affect you at different distances. If I could get myself to consistently draw with 3 yard speed at 15 yards I would have more time for refinement.

Something that is giving me problems is getting my support hand on the gun correctly when pushing the draw speed. I don't remember having this problem in the past, so maybe I have never really pushed in the past.

@MVS with work you’ll get both speed and accuracy!

But this is the way to get there. Make the times and keep working the mechanics and you’ll have more time within the time if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @MVS with work you’ll get both speed and accuracy!

But this is the way to get there. Make the times and keep working the mechanics and you’ll have more time within the time if that makes sense.
    Yes. It makes sense and I am already seeing a little bit of that.

@MVS you're verbalizing exactly what I'm experiencing. The index from draw is crucial in making the par times. If I have a good index, the 2 second and 1.5 second times seem like an eternity. At the 2 second I usually have time to micro correct, less at 1.5 and 1. I guess I'm stating the obvious but like you, I see a lot more in dry than live. I had a long range session yesterday with a couple friends. One is a better shooter, the other a beginner. We were there to do a little coaching with the beginner and as we worked through several different drills, I noticed the gap in vision between my dry and live began to shrink.

I also notice the slightest imperfection in my grip. After some previous comments upthread I changed my holster mount and am paying closer attention to having it in the exact same spot for every draw. That seems to be helping my index issues. As I work through week 4, I am improving. Its been a long time since this old man has made that statement!

Well this thread seems to have died a sudden death. I appreciate the initiative and input from @JCN and also @Clusterfrack. I am now about 5 weeks into the process and I am definitely seeing much more than ever. I have not done the specific live fire "test" in a couple weeks but I have shot several matches and I'm seeing the results there. If I can make it to May, I will be 70 years old and I never thought I would be doing 1 second doubles. Like him or not, @JCN's instruction was good for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    Well this thread seems to have died a sudden death. I appreciate the initiative and input from JCN and also @Clusterfrack. I am now about 5 weeks into the process and I am definitely seeing much more than ever. I have not done the specific live fire "test" in a couple weeks but I have shot several matches and I'm seeing the results there. If I can make it to May, I will be 70 years old and I never thought I would be doing 1 second doubles. Like him or not, JCN's instruction was good for me. Thanks!
    Glad to hear it @Jamesa. I'm working on getting Pistol-Forum coaching back up and running, but it may take a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to help as needed.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Not dead, just resting.

Copied from last weeks TJ entry. I'll be hitting the range today or tomorrow for another run at it.

SWYNTS drill

Attachment 102323

15y strings were about a 1/4 sec slower than previous attempt. 7y and 3y strings were just over time. Overall accuracy improved and flier dispersion was somewhat smaller.

I'm observing my inconsistent grip and visual focus drifting back into the dot and the negative effects of both. Live fire grip pressure doesn't match dry fire grip pressure. SH isn't fatigued after the 1 - 1.5 hours of shooting like it is after 20 min of dry practice.

My mind was wandering and I was generally shooting lazy today.
    David S.

I've been paying close attention to the initial grip out of the holster. As mentioned. the grip and the resulting index makes all the difference in achieving the par times. My mount is not completely stable but is as good as I can get it with my current belt and holster. At this point, par times from 7 and 15 are easily met in dry fire and leave space for micro corrections. 3 yards is a different story. I find that I'm often rushing the first shot before I even get a glimpse of the dot. At three yards, it doesn't matter with a decent index but I struggle with the idea that I could be ingraining bad habits. A little live fire will either confirm or dispel the worry.

User Tag List