Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Thanks for the input. I don't feel that hitch, but I sure see it on the video. Looking forward to seeing what I can do about that.
    That’s why video is so important. You can see things you don’t notice.

When critics of non-in person training talk, they really don’t realize how video can obviate the need to be in person.

Feel free to PM me videos if privacy is a concern.

I have probably half a dozen people that text me stuff and I’m happy to help them help themselves.

I do it because it’s fun for me and I like helping people.

Thanks for the input. I don't feel that hitch, but I sure see it on the video. Looking forward to seeing what I can do about that.
    If your phone has slow motion try filming a few reps in slow motion. Also if you upload to YouTube as a regular video and not a short you can slow it down to .25 speed. JCN recently pointed out something to me on my draw that I’m working through that’s saving me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    If your phone has slow motion try filming a few reps in slow motion. Also if you upload to YouTube as a regular video and not a short you can slow it down to .25 speed. JCN recently pointed out something to me on my draw that I’m working through that’s saving me some time.
    I'm sure my phone has it, I just have to figure it out. Not sure why it went to YT as a short, I will have to figure that out too.
    Thanks

Week 3 is in the books. I was able to dry fire five times last week, live fire twice and shot one outlaw match. I seem to be cycling back and forth on seeing what I'm happy with on my dry fire. Some days are good, some not. Some days my index is perfect and some days it's like I've never held a gun. I wonder if the lesser days are due to focus or attitude? Some days I don't necessarily feel like doing the dry fire but I think we all have those days.

I shot the drill for my third time late yesterday after doing lots of physical work. I was tired and it was a rough outing. I had 3 flyers at 15, two at 7 and one at 3. Otherwise, my grouping was actually improved from the previous attempts. Overall it felt slow but I was surprised at what the timer said. My average times at 15 and 7 were actually my best so far and my 3 yard times were about the same as my previous one. The speed is gradually improving.

I consider matches to be my best test of whether or not I'm making progress and I was happy with last weeks match. My speed and accuracy have both improved during this process. I won't ever be a GM or anything close but I'm happy at this point and will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    Week 3 is in the books. I was able to dry fire five times last week, live fire twice and shot one outlaw match. I seem to be cycling back and forth on seeing what I'm happy with on my dry fire. Some days are good, some not. Some days my index is perfect and some days it's like I've never held a gun. I wonder if the lesser days are due to focus or attitude? Some days I don't necessarily feel like doing the dry fire but I think we all have those days.

I shot the drill for my third time late yesterday after doing lots of physical work. I was tired and it was a rough outing. I had 3 flyers at 15, two at 7 and one at 3. Otherwise, my grouping was actually improved from the previous attempts. Overall it felt slow but I was surprised at what the timer said. My average times at 15 and 7 were actually my best so far and my 3 yard times were about the same as my previous one. The speed is gradually improving.

I consider matches to be my best test of whether or not I'm making progress and I was happy with last weeks match. My speed and accuracy have both improved during this process. I won't ever be a GM or anything close but I'm happy at this point and will continue.
    I have days like that where it’s like I haven’t drawn or reloaded the gun before. Sometimes I find it’s because my belt is a little off center which slightly changes the angle of the grip in relation to my body. Other times there’s no reason. That’s just how sports are I think. When I played other sports competitively I had days like that also. Even pros have off days. But I think the better you get the off day skill level improves. Your raising the floor and ceiling of your performance.

I'm sure my phone has it, I just have to figure it out. Not sure why it went to YT as a short, I will have to figure that out too.
    Thanks
    If the clip is under 60 seconds it'll default to that. So I sometimes make the videos longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I have days like that where it’s like I haven’t drawn or reloaded the gun before. Sometimes I find it’s because my belt is a little off center which slightly changes the angle of the grip in relation to my body. Other times there’s no reason. That’s just how sports are I think. When I played other sports competitively I had days like that also. Even pros have off days. But I think the better you get the off day skill level improves. Your raising the floor and ceiling of your performance.
    Awesome insight from your sports experience and dead on.

I also make sure I index my holster the exact same distance from the belt loops and generally try to wear the same type of pant for gaming and practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post

Nice! I'm glad you're seeing the improvement. It's so key for motivation. I also like that people can read through this thread and see all the testimonials of people who were plateaued before despite training in person with famous trainers...

This kind of thinking is different and it works for rapid improvement. You don't just lose your mind and start hosing all targets. You still retain your ability to gauge and judge... it's training vision and mechanics and you still have the cognitive ability to make judgments on how much vision and mechanics you require for a particular shot on different tests or in your case a match.

So stick with it and keep working, ask questions and post videos. It's fun for me to help people and maybe someday legacy mired students can open their minds and put aside their egos and give it a try.

Clipped from my training journal

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I
    Next, a SWYNTS drill.

Attachment 102056

Accuracy was fine. I was generally able to "call my shots."

The gun (M&P 2.0 / 507c) is still new to me which is causing grip inconsistency out of the holster, which is slowing me down.

I'm pushing into the gun with my support hand thumb. It's definitely the reason for the right fliers. The inconsistency of the thumb pressure (as I'm working on reducing it) is causing the dot to show up in different spots in the window. This is another big factor in my being something like a 1/4 second over time on most strings.

Most, if not all of my fliers were on the second shot of the string.

I notice that I start to get "scared" about the 15y line, and 25 yards is especially bad. I definitely notice my tendency to over confirm at those longer distances.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Clipped from my training journal
    Can you talk a little about what you're noticing with vision and how you feel things are or aren't evolving as you work through this?

Or is the change in gun distracting enough that it's consuming most of the bandwidth during the sessions?

Also out of curiosity, why the change in gun and what were you shooting before?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can you talk a little about what you're noticing with vision and how you feel things are or aren't evolving as you work through this?

Or is the change in gun distracting enough that it's consuming most of the bandwidth during the sessions?

Also out of curiosity, why the change in gun and what were you shooting before?
    In the spirit of JCN multi-tasking, I'm learning this gun through a strong emphasis on the the Doubles Drill and SWYNTS, with a minor emphasis in 25 yard bulls.

With both the Doubles Drill and SWYNTS drill, I did notice hard focus on The Spot (on the target) really drew the gun into The Spot. Having listened fairly extensively to Ben Stoeger's free YouTube content, I expected this theoretically. It was nice to really experience it. I was able to identify the body tension that led to vertical stringing and the SH thumb pressure that led to lateral right stringing.

--Inconsistent index and managing a manual safety instead of decocker ==> rush-try-hurry ==> body tension ==> vertical stringing.
    This will go away with more familiarity with the gun.

My "definition of success" for the drill today was to identify those physical inputs into the gun, so I let fly, shooting more Predictively as opposed to Reactively.

I'm calling my shots and diagnosing my errors through my dot. So there's that.

I've been shooting the CZ P-07/09 in DA/SA mode for the last 3 years. Long, boring story short, I'm trying to fix a software problem with a hardware solution.

If that doesn't answers your question, feel free to drag it out of me.
    David S.

User Tag List