Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

Site Supporter
    I put some numbers in excel to keep better track of things. I definitely have room for improvement but its good to see progress. I think in dryfire I need to slow down my splits since they are probably not matching reality. I wonder too if there is any delay in electronic hearing protection hearing the beep. That's probably wishful thinking though.
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  62.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by R_Shackleford View Post
    I put some numbers in excel to keep better track of things. I definitely have room for improvement but its good to see progress. I think in dryfire I need to slow down my splits since they are probably not matching reality. I wonder too if there is any delay in electronic hearing protection hearing the beep. That's probably wishful thinking though.
    Nice progress!

I wouldn’t slow down your splits too much in dry because you want your live to improve and not to slow down to where you currently are!

3 yard split should be sub-20 (preferably 15-19).
    7 yard split could be 20-26
    15 yard maybe 40-50

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    [MENTION=12588] Pay special attention to dry fire dot stability with trigger press at simulated 15 yards. You’re going to have to require a VERY stable dot through the trigger presses to get a good group there.
    This is good for me to hear, too. I am working hard on this. I've been doing a version of Ben Stoeger's trigger control at speed drill for the last couple of weeks, doing pairs or even Bill Drills to watch the dot in between shots as well as during shots. I have been very sloppy on trigger control up to this point, without really noticing it, and the SWYNTS training is really helping put the results of the trigger control at speed work into context. I'm seeing much greater dot stability at 15 yards, despite the fact that I'm shooting both shots double action, which means with the SP01 that the second shot is from the hammer fully down. I have high hopes that this will make a huge difference for me.

Will hope to do the live fire version of SWYNTS for my second time at the end of this week.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Great job guys!

To people on the fence it’s not too late to get started.

The next drills that build on this will REQUIRE that the basic SWYNTS is locked down in your mind’s eye in dry and live in order for it to be effective.

But for the people who do it, you’ll see a ton of added improvement with the next steps.

This takes less than ten minutes of time. I think we can all find ten minutes in the day. I had to check myself tonight because I got home way late but I made myself do it anyways. It was this or watch reruns of The Office which I've seen a half dozen times a piece....

Yep, it's just like working out, as master Yoda would say, "do, or do not...there is no 'try'."

Risto, if you're having trouble keeping both eyes open when running a dot, occluded eye drills can help. Blue tape, or in my case, a magnet and piece of paper. It is very helpful.

Hi, sorry I've been out of touch, but I have had a few sessions working on fixing my reloads since I last posted on here. A lot of re-learning has been happening. I find that once my sessions start getting too long and I get fatigued, everything falls apart, so I need to be better about ending sessions while I'm still feeling good.

Anyway, the difference in getting back on target between reloading high vs low is like night and day. I'm immediately back on target when flicking out after reloading high, but I'm still less consistent with my reload angle than I used to be (since it's still new), so there are still a lot of misses. I've found that my strong side elbow needs to be bent at around 90 degrees to put my magwell at the right angle to match the source of the ammo (mag pouch), but sometimes the angle is more obtuse and screws things up. A few more short practice sessions should see continued improvements of course.

SWYNTS at 3yds was much easier when I dryfire it the way I'm supposed to and not forcing it to be in the 2" target. I can tell where my dot is for every trigger pull, and I see what it's doing during the press. Over time, with that awareness, the index improves and the speed is maintained.

Just keeping you posted and saying thanks for the help. Your comments have been really helpful and have been pushing me to fix the inefficiencies I know I've needed to deal with but never wanted to put in the time.

More analysis to come later.

All fouled up today 1st time through, so I did it a second time. Second time was very good on 15 and 7, but slow on 3. The thing about 15 and 7, the second time around, was that I was able to tell myself that I could take my time and make the shots well--I don't need to rush. When I rush, of course, I get all fumbly, which I suppose is what was going on the 1st time today. (Actually, this was probably caused at least in part because I decided to run my metronome the 1st time through, to track my splits. And I think that's what created that extra sense of stress, to make the split times. I did not run the metronome the second time!) Anyway, on the 3 yard, I can't really tell myself that I can take my time, although that's what I'm going for, to make sure I see some dot as best I can before the 1st shot. But I'm still getting tight. Usually it works itself out, but today I just didn't quite get fully up to speed. I mean, it was close, and I had decent visuals, but I just need to put it all together.

Still working on trigger control, which also adds a bit of stress, because I've got this extra voice in my head telling me to make sure I grip right and press right, but I feel like that is coming along well. Still, it adds a layer. But this is part of the joy of taking a month to do the thing. I have plenty of time to get this new stuff really down before the end of January. And I can always keep doing this drill as needed, whatever JCN puts out there for next month!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

@Moylan that is a perfect description of the learning process as you transition from conscious to subconscious competence.

You’ll eventually get to a point (before the end of the month) where you just KNOW with 100% confidence what your cadence and vision should look like with each time and target difficulty.

That’s why it’s so important people get to that point before we move on.

Q5shooter, you said:

"I find that once my sessions start getting too long and I get fatigued, everything falls apart..."

And that is an excellent point. I think it's VERY important to consider that in dryfire.

Once you get fatigued, you can begin to cut corners and slack, and end up doing reps wrong. Heck yes, quit while you're ahead!

Thank you for bringing that up.

ETA: by the way, I did some completely unrelated low-light shooting last night, some pistol work with and without light. And I must say, my shots were tighter than usual, this specific dryfire routine is definitely paying dividends.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 01-10-2023 at 11:57 PM.

User Tag List