Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

I completed day 5 of this practice today. Nothing much to add to my last report. I started out on the 3 yards rushing the first shot and not seeing the dot, but then I remembered I'm taking a little time and seeing the dot on the paper first...after that, things went great and I am fairly confident I was hitting the times today. 15 and 7 seemed fine. Today was slightly rough in dry fire for me, and I felt some stress at these distances, but overall they went well. I am trying to refine my trigger press and this drill is really helping with that, especially at 15 yards. I am really looking to see that dot very stable in the middle of the paper. It seems to be going well.

Thanks again for putting this out there, JCN!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I'm happy to report I'm NOT screwing up my double trigger press. This is pretty cool!

I shot the 3 yard portion today (used the dryfire gun, G19-4 w/ Dagger slide & Swampfox Liberty):

That "disregard" shot in the middle was the first test shot, from cold, to see if it was even worth trying. HA!
    Name:  20230106_142629.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  20.1 KB

Note, times are almost identical (BUT this was shot from concealment, not like the first time), but the spread is better concentrated than the first go-around:
    Name:  20221224_205902.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  18.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I'm happy to report I'm NOT screwing up my double trigger press. This is pretty cool!
    Woohoo! See! Progress!

What did I tell you!

I wish people would just get off their asses and do 10 min a day.

Thing is, we ALL know the value of dryfire, and dry practice with trigger control, draws, reloads, malfunction clearing, and other manipulations, but we don't just get up and DO IT. Me included.

When I shoot I usually do a mini AAR on the results, and I can't tell you the number of times I've identified the need for more dryfire....then gone and NOT done it, day after day.

There have been periods where I've decided not to do anymore live fire until I'd done a certain amount of dry work, and it's paid off. It's just something I'm lazy about.

This new routine is driving me to focus. Thanks for getting us motivated!

I also shot a FAST clean in 6.61. I'm usually in the 7-8 second range. And a Bill Drill in 2.60 w/ 2 shots outside the 8", usually similar in the 3 second range.

There IS progress!

@ViniVidivici I think the difference here is that the goals and observations are directed in a program and I’ll help keep people from practicing the wrong things or coming to alternate conclusions or compensations that will stunt their growth.

I know what’s important for rapid progress and it doesn’t take that much. For people who don’t know how to get there, I’m laying it out as plainly as I can… but still people sometimes don’t want to put in the work.

When I started competition, I gave up television and movies to make room in my schedule to get better.

A couple years into it, I’m much better off for it rather than having wasted time on the latest Marvel superhero flick.

I’m excited for the people who stick with it, the program builds on this basic drill.

Amen to that. I gave up wasting time playing the guitar to make more time for things like working out, and it's MUCH more beneficial than playing "Rooster" for the 10,000nth time. HA!

I'm making the par times at 7&15 with my shirt tucked in and my hands hovering at about belly button level. At 3 l'm pretty close every time. I like to run the 3 yard one twice and really just reeelaxxx the second time through. I can tell a difference in the speed and seeing a dot streak, but sometimes my grip isn't as solid.

Thanks JCN and Moylan for the app recommendation. It has actually made a pretty big improvement in my dry practice.

I'm hoping to hit the range tomorrow to see if i can get some of these gains to carry over to live fire.

Friendly reminder

General friendly reminder that once you get at or near the par times then the goal shifts from speed to accuracy-at-speed.

So try and make the par times… but don’t go faster than that.

Spend the extra time refining sight picture and trigger press, especially at the 15 yard and kind of at the 7.

That’s why this drill is special because it pushes speed but also accuracy.

Having the 3-7-15 yard strings helps scale the context.

I feel some definite improvements. But not sure whats going on at 15. I have a feeling I’m not controlling recoil enough.

I’m just happy to be getting closer to the times without cheating the draw so much.

I still reverted to my older grip (which moves the dot more) a bunch of times. Still noticed my left eye closing sometimes especially when i try to focus on different things.

At 3 yards I did essentially what JCN did in the video where he used the laser gun to demonstrate the index required at so close. I have a feeling i can go faster at 3 especially if I work my draw more.

Overall i really like this skill building, especially the dry fire.

I’ll keep chugging.

@Risto great job. Keep working!

Pay special attention to dry fire dot stability with trigger press at simulated 15 yards. You’re going to have to require a VERY stable dot through the trigger presses to get a good group there. It’s probably more trigger press deficit rather than recoil control at those speeds but hard to say without seeing video. I suspect it’s trigger control so really try for super stable dot without any streaking THROUGH the trigger presses in dry.

Also check your zero. Seems like it might be a little low too.

User Tag List