Thread: If someone only has 15 minutes a day to dry fire what drill(s) should they do?

If someone only has 15 minutes a day to dry fire what drill(s) should they do?

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this because it's not a drill, test etc it's more of a question.

Short version of the question is this:

If you have a new shooter, someone that isn't terribly interested in much practice or just doesn't have the time for it, what is a dry fire drill they should do?

The 15 minutes is kind of aribitary I know so if you think there's something that takes 20 minutes and is dramatically more efficient go for it. I'm mainly looking for the best bang for your buck in terms of time.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but my searching got a lot of results so hard to tell what is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I don't know if this is the right forum to put this because it's not a drill, test etc it's more of a question.

Short version of the question is this:

If you have a new shooter, someone that isn't terribly interested in much practice or just doesn't have the time for it, what is a dry fire drill they should do?

The 15 minutes is kind of aribitary I know so if you think there's something that takes 20 minutes and is dramatically more efficient go for it. I'm mainly looking for the best bang for your buck in terms of time.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but my searching got a lot of results so hard to tell what is legit.
    I would ask the student what they hope to achieve at the end of one month and set your dry fire accordingly.

If they’re looking to just slow fire at a square range at the end of a month, then just red dot sight with trigger presses.

Use a small target like 2” circle at 5 yards and ask them to hold the red dot fully inside the circle of the target before-during-and through the whole trigger press. If they can do it with a DA resetting trigger even better.

Do that for 15 min a day and they’ll be in good shape.

If they then want to do more with indexes / draws / transitions / recoil control / reloads / movement then add those in for subsequent months.

Trigger Control at Speed (TCAS) 2 min freestyle
    TCAS 1 min right hand only
    TCAS 1 min left hand only
    First half of draw 2 min
    Second half of draw 2 min
    Full Draw 1 min
    Burkett reload 1 min
    Second half of reload 1 min
    Full reload 1 min
    Transitions w/out trigger press on a mix of targets for 3 min

This is similar to what I do on maintenance mode. I do other stuff but imo these are your heavy hitters that can be touched on in 15 minutes.

If you are gripping realistically (hard support hand crush) and pushing par times you should be sweating and ready for a break after a session like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    My first suggestion would be to pick up the books "Concealed Carry Skills and Drills" and "Serious Mistakes Gun Owners Make" by the Tactical Professor, Claude Werner. Both books cost less than $15 combined. Read them yourself and then share with your friend. Do what he says.

IMHO,

We're going to treat a "new shooter" that's "not terribly interested" differently than an avid "Student of the Gun." This person's priority ought to be basic, safe handling, not any sort of performance.

Phase 1
    - Learn how to determine if the gun is loaded or unloaded
    - Learn to properly, and efficiently, load and unload the gun. Use dummy rounds.

Phase 2
    - Just handle the gun. Get comfortable with the feel of a (((unloaded))) gun in your hand.
    - Develop trigger finger discipline (Rule 3). (ie finger off the trigger, and in register on the side of the slide or frame)
    - Develop muzzle discipline (Rule 2)

Phase 3
    - If the gun is intended as a "home defense" gun, practice deploying it, including loading if that's the plan, from an appropriate storage container.
    - Work on presenting the gun to a reasonable target from low ready, with no time constraint.
    - If the gun is intended to be carried, practice deploying from holster and presenting it to a target with no time constraint.

Basic proficiency can be achieved in a week or two of active 5-15 min sessions, and then once or twice a week maintenance mode.

If the person want to develop past new and uninterested, I'm sure this crowd can come up with all kinds of shenanigans.
    David S.

I think the dry fire needs to be structured, frequently supervised and confirmed with dry fire, or you risk spending 15 minutes a day burning in incorrect reps.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I use a page from a Rangemaster newsletter, I think it’s from 2014.

TLG published this many years ago: https://pistol-training.com/dry-fire-routine/

@John Hearne recently published this in a handout:

Name:  IMG_1089.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  39.7 KB

I think taking a bit from each as time allows would be beneficial.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List