Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

I finally got to do the month's end run of SWYNTS. Results:

3yard:
    .98 (forgot to record draw and split)
    .93 (.78 and .15)
    1.09 (too ticked at the hitch in the draw to bother recording draw and split)
    1.01 (.86 and .15)
    .92 (.76 and .16)
    Spread was 9 1/4 high x 3 3/4 wide

7 yard:
    1.36 (1.2 and .16)
    1.32 (1.16 and .16)
    1.43 (1.23 and .2)
    1.42 (1.15 and .27)
    1.44 (1.21 and .23)
    Spread was 11 h x 6 1/2 w. That sounds terrible and I'm not happy with it, but if I had dropped one additional flyer, the group would have been 5 1/2 x 4 1/2, so I don't think the actual measurement reflects the overall trend of the shooting. I obviously started off going a bit too fast, and was able to rein that in.

15 yard:
    1.98 (1.57 and .41)
    1.84 (1.47 and .37)
    1.85 (1.34 and .51)
    1.76 (1.3 and .46)
    1.94 (1.42 and .51)
    Spread was 7 h x 3 1/2 w This was a good result, I thought...there is obviously plenty of time in 2 seconds for me to make two good shots at 15 yards. On the other hand, to be honest, I was missing one shot in this group and after looking for a pretty long time, I called one oblongish hole a double. I had a clean backer (full uspsa target) with the paper stapled onto it. I did not miss the whole backer. But if indeed I don't take credit for the double, then the group would be bigger, because the flyer I allowed myself was low left on the paper and would have raised the group size to probably 11x8 or something. But I didn't miss the backer.

Reflections after a month of this: I am definitely seeing the dot better through the process and taking good enough shots, for the most part, at relatively decent speeds. I am not 100% consistent, but it is going reasonably well. I'll add more thoughts when I get a chance in my training journal.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What you’ll need.
    1. Holster
    2. Gun
    3. Sheets of white copy paper.
    4. Black marker or 2” black pasters.
    5. Tape measure.
    6. Shot timer.

Step one:
    Get a baseline. This is about figuring out your speed and mechanics, not about achieving some set standard.

It’s about figuring out what YOUR wobble baseline is at what speed.

String 1:
    15 yards from a holster. Two shots in 2.0 seconds.
    Dry fire it. Then live fire it. Then dry fire it. Etc until you’ve repeated for 10 shots.

You may throw out one flier. Use the ruler to measure the distance from the center. Look at the shot timer to get a sense of what your draw and split breakdown is. Write it on the paper and put it aside.

The goal is to train the dry vision to the live mechanics and Vice versa. Basically what you’re seeing in the quiet of dry and how that translates over to what lands on paper.

String 2:
    7 yards from a holster. Two shots in 1.5 seconds.
    Alternate dry and live until 10 shots elapsed.

Same scoring rules.

String 3:
    3 yards from a holster. Two shots in 1.0 seconds total.

Work this one in dry 5x first. If can’t get the first shot off in dry by par, may extend time to 1.2 seconds for the drill.

But the point of this drill is to develop the index. Even if you don’t see the sights, you’ll be working on hitting using the general silhouette and feel of the gun and over time you’ll get fast enough to get a flash of red on target.

At the end of this, you’ll have a basic sense and data of what group size you can hit at what speed.

AND…. the distances scale. So if you had a 4” group at 15 yards at that pace, that’s what your 2” group pace at 7 is.

You’ll range find off the MOA scaling of the dot on target.

I’m a big fan of alternating dry and live runs to clean up sight picture and give them tools to develop on their own.

@Clusterfrack
    @JohnK
    @TCinVA

Excited for this. Will run this I a few weeks!

Did some more of this in dryfire and it's evident that I have been too lax in what I consider an acceptable sight picture at 15 yards. I am going a bit nuts because I got a blood blister on my hand right where my index finger hits the trigger guard and trying to work around it is driving me crazy and messing up my ability to get a good support hand grip at speed. I intend to live fire this on the weekend but I don't think it'll be productive to keep hammering draws as I keep catching myself subconsciously doing odd things to try and avoid the pain of smashing into the blood blister.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Did some more of this in dryfire and it's evident that I have been too lax in what I consider an acceptable sight picture at 15 yards. I am going a bit nuts because I got a blood blister on my hand right where my index finger hits the trigger guard and trying to work around it is driving me crazy and messing up my ability to get a good support hand grip at speed. I intend to live fire this on the weekend but I don't think it'll be productive to keep hammering draws as I keep catching myself subconsciously doing odd things to try and avoid the pain of smashing into the blood blister.
    Work draw to weak hand transfer and your weak hand index and trigger press (with adjusted time pars).

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Excited for this. Will run this I a few weeks!
    Why wait weeks? Dry fire what you have in the meantime!

Work draw to weak hand transfer and your weak hand index and trigger press (with adjusted time pars).
    I should have clarified it's my weak hand index finger that's messing me up but point taken, I can work everything strong hand only and maybe weak hand only (need to try this to see if it hurts to do at speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I should have clarified it's my weak hand index finger that's messing me up but point taken, I can work everything strong hand only and maybe weak hand only (need to try this to see if it hurts to do at speed).
    Gotcha. Try also wrapping the finger tight with bandage tape.

Why wait weeks? Dry fire what you have in the meantime!
    Excellent point and will do this!

[QUOTE=Clusterfrack;1449886]I practice trigger pulls as a specific dryfire exercise, ...........

I'm curious about your specific trigger pull exercise. I do Stoeger's Trigger Control At Speed just about every day. Any other suggestions?

[QUOTE=Jamesa;1453415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I practice trigger pulls as a specific dryfire exercise, ...........

I'm curious about your specific trigger pull exercise. I do Stoeger's Trigger Control At Speed just about every day. Any other suggestions?
    Trigger control at speed is a core exercise. Of course I also do it in DA mode.

Try starting hammer back on one target, and on the beep, transition to another and drop the hammer.

I like micro drills like this that break shooting into smaller pieces.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List