Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

@JCN I'm in. I need to get a base line with my new setup. I will run a few drills after I get some familiarization with it towards the end of this week once I have everything, and I am done getting my son setup for steel challenge. I would love to hear thoughts on what you'd like to see drill wise in order to grasp exactly where I am at with the current setup.

I will be running open class as recommended. I know I may not be as competitive with the equipment delta but we can address that later as skill set develops more. I think you are right it is the absolute best way to keep the wear down to a minimum and continue to improve at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I’ll tag along. Life got in the way these past two weeks so I haven’t made five days per week, much less posted. I found this beneficial.
    You are very welcome to! Happy to have you along! It’s okay to post even small updates even if life gets in the way.

Just like we did earlier sometimes even just talking out the context to help break through can be super helpful.

I’m here to help people get better but I can’t if they don’t talk to me.

@JCN I'm back (mostly)! I injured my back but am finally healed enough to painlessly stand up straight and dry fire. I've also been traveling for the past week without my rig, so I'm going to be about two or three weeks-worth of rusty. Regardless, the motivation is there and I'm ready to get back at it.

I agree 100% with what you said about the shooting sports being key to motivation. The idea of being ranked and having to earn your way up is, unfortunately, even better motivation in my case than any other reason. It probably Shouldn't be that way, but it is, so I'm going to take advantage of it.

Also unfortunately, I think I'm going to be traveling again for work through all of the next two or three matches, and there's not really anything I can do about that. But I'll look at that as just more time to come back in the new season even stronger.

I'm looking forward to whatever else you have in store, while still continuing to work on the drills you've already given us. Thanks!

Ran this again in live fire. I've been experimenting with lower par times in dry and I wanted to see how it would translate to live fire. I thought I would go faster, but really what happened was I just saw less and the hits showed that. However, it was a good learning experiment because I can get away with seeing less at 7 than I thought I needed, but seeing less at 15 was a disaster. I do need slightly more confirmation than what I used this time at 15. Now I have a better idea of what I do need to see at 15 to get the hits.

3 yards
    1.01/.21=1.22 (short stroked trigger on the first pull)
    .83/.17=1.0
    .85/.18=1.03
    .82/.17=.99
    .84/.19=1.03

Very consistent. First one would've been around the same time except I short stroked the trigger and ended up doing 3 trigger pulls total haha

7 yards
    1.12/.24=1.36
    1.21/.25=1.46
    1.10/.27=1.37
    1.20/.26=1.47
    1.11/.26=1.37

This was all alphas. I pushed the vision just a bit to where there was less dot stability, more of a blur than a settled dot. Hits were all there so this was good to learn from. The only difference in the first shot times is the higher ones I am not getting as good of a grip. It's a slight adjustment costing me a tenth.

15 yards
    1.35/.40=1.75
    1.52/.37= 1.89
    1.44/.37=1.81
    1.30/.36=1.66
    1.52/.29= 1.81

4a 4c and the charlies weren't close to being alphas. 1.52 draws were poor indexes. The 1.30 draw was a very good index and required very little adjustment. I've been using a 1.8 par in dry and now I just need to dial the vision in. A poor index at 15 yards is costly.

SWYNTS

I'm a little late to the party. I saw this thread early on and got distracted with who knows what. Dry fired this last night and must say, it is just what I need. I dry fire 3-4 times per week and my process has gotten a little old. This seems to be just what's needed to allow me to measure, track and improve.

Thanks @JCN, I plan to tag along one month behind you guys. Should I post updates here or is this thread being replaced by month two?

May I suggest that Phase II get split into a different thread? I suspect there may be a few late starters, and it might keep things better organized.

I'm getting some new gear in this week and I intend to start Phase I next week.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    I'm a little late to the party. I saw this thread early on and got distracted with who knows what. Dry fired this last night and must say, it is just what I need. I dry fire 3-4 times per week and my process has gotten a little old. This seems to be just what's needed to allow me to measure, track and improve.

Thanks @JCN, I plan to tag along one month behind you guys. Should I post updates here or is this thread being replaced by month two?
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    May I suggest that Phase II get split into a different thread? I suspect there may be a few late starters, and it might keep things better organized.

I'm getting some new gear in this week and I intend to start Phase I next week.
    Woohoo, welcome guys!

We can definitely do another month of Phase One here and I’ll have @Clusterfrack split Phase Two posts into a new “SWYNTS PHASE TWO” thread.

Thanks for posting up. Anyone else want to start a month of Phase One? This is your chance and as always, post up your impressions and I’ll try and help contextualize.

SWYNTS

OK, I guess today was my official Day 1. It was dry fire only and I hope to do my first live run tomorrow. I'm using a full size 4" PDP from OWB at 3:00. Today I used a credit card sliver to keep the gun out of battery so I had light but repeatable trigger pulls. I printed the 3 yard targets from post #40 above (thanks @BWT) and programmed the dry practice app to run each stage for 3.5 minutes. Here are my observations.

First up was the 15 yard dot with a 2 second par. Making the par time was easy and my index seemed to be better on this than the shorter distances with bigger dots.

Next was the 7 yard dot at 1.5 seconds. Making the par time here still didn't cause much problem and my indexing was OK, not great, just OK. I think they would have all been A Zone hits.

Last was the 3 yard dot with a 1.0 par. I had to hustle to stay at or below par and was successful 90% of the time. My indexing seemed to get worse. I don't know if it was visual, mental or fatigue?

My takeaways are to reduce my 15 yard par by 0.1 and run that for the time being. Since the indexing seemed to falter on the other two distances, I will leave those times as is. The live version of this will be interesting.

@JCN, @Clusterfrack Do you guys recommend keeping the gun out of battery for the trigger pull or do a real first pull and a fake second? I'd love to hear your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    @JCN, @Clusterfrack Do you guys recommend keeping the gun out of battery for the trigger pull or do a real first pull and a fake second? I'd love to hear your comments.
    I have done it both ways and I'm not sure that it matters as long as you have a faithful trigger press in real life.

That being said, I usually will reset the trigger and do a real first and use the trigger return springs to mock a second. Because I really want to observe how the sights move with the real first press.

For the 15 yard string, the indexing isn't the challenge... it's the meticulous trigger press. That's what you're really watching. You have to have a very, very neutral and stable press to hit small target doubles. I don't know what your shooting background or level is, so I don't mean to be presumptuous or betlittle. It can be pretty challenging.

That being said, use the live to dictate what your cadence and vision are. Try for the smallest groups you can get in the allotted time. If you don't need the whole time, you don't have to take it.

Ideally you're looking for a 4-6" circle at speed.

@Jamesa just as a point of clarification...

The 2.0 second par is to get two quality shots off on the 15 yard target. So approximately a 1.5 draw and 0.5 split.

The 1.5 second par is about a 1.2-1.3 second draw and a 0.2-0.3 split.

The 1.0 second par is about a 0.8-0.85 draw and a 0.15-0.20 split.

If that's what you were doing, carry on!

User Tag List