Thread: Loading for a semi-auto Ruger 44 mag carbine, lead/coated bullets

Loading for a semi-auto Ruger 44 mag carbine, lead/coated bullets

I dug out my old Ruger 44 Dearslayer carbine that has not been fired in 15 years, modified a 10/22 picatinny rail for it and mounted my Romeo5 on it. Gonna sight it in later this week.

All my previous reloading for it has been with jacketed hollow pointed XTPs due to recommendations that lead bullets will cause leading problems with the gas port.

My question is has anyone reloaded with powder coated lead like Acme bullets or Blue bullets. I'm not real fond of paying XTP prices for practice and plinking ammo and have had good experiences with Acme Bullets in 45-70 in both 300gr Trail Boss plinking loads and full power 405 grain loads.

I will need to duplicate factory pressures to ensure that it will function in semi-auto. Anyone have any experience with full power 44 mag in a rifle using coated bullets and or lead BHN15 hard cast bullets?

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Ruger warned against using lead bullets in this 44 carbine and claimed that particles from lead and lube would interfere with the gas system. This was before coated bullets, of course. Berry's plated bullets might work.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’d second the thought on the Berrys plated. Can’t see how they could be an issue.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I dug out my old Ruger 44 Dearslayer carbine that has not been fired in 15 years, modified a 10/22 picatinny rail for it and mounted my Romeo5 on it. Gonna sight it in later this week.

All my previous reloading for it has been with jacketed hollow pointed XTPs due to recommendations that lead bullets will cause leading problems with the gas port.

My question is has anyone reloaded with powder coated lead like Acme bullets or Blue bullets. I'm not real fond of paying XTP prices for practice and plinking ammo and have had good experiences with Acme Bullets in 45-70 in both 300gr Trail Boss plinking loads and full power 405 grain loads.

I will need to duplicate factory pressures to ensure that it will function in semi-auto. Anyone have any experience with full power 44 mag in a rifle using coated bullets and or lead BHN15 hard cast bullets?

Gringop
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’d second the thought on the Berrys plated. Can’t see how they could be an issue.
    I actually had a thought they MIGHT be an issue, due to velocity. I checked the Berry's website and they claim a top velocity of 1850 FPS for the 240 grain flat point. Plated bullets that are driven too fast can strip the plating.

According to Joe over at the RealGuns website (you have to be a member to see the load data) he's getting 1850 to 1900 FPS out of an 18.5" Ruger M77/44 with full power loads of things like H110. So a full power load out of your rifle might be at the very top end of what the rifle will handle. So I'd back 'er down a notch or two, use a chronograph, and check for stripped plating in the bore and signs the bullets are unstable.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

After checking my powder supplies, I've got a lot (6lbs) of Universal Clays (yes, it's that old) vs Blue Dot. I will go with Universal for this 44 Mag project and save the Blue dot for 10mm.

I'm gonna order 100 of Acme 240 coated SWC and see how they work. I can always strip it down and poke a straightened paperclip up into the gas port to clear it if needed. If good, I will order another 500 bullets and let ya'll know how it goes.

Kinda funny reloading data:

Speer reloading manual # 10 circa 1979
    44 mag 240 gr jacketed Speer
    Bluedot max 17.2 gr 1373 fps

Speer reloading manual #12 circa 1994
    Bluedot max 13.7 gr 1285 fps

The pusification/Lawyerification of American reloading or Bluedot somehow gets incredibly more powerful???

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    After checking my powder supplies, I've got a lot (6lbs) of Universal Clays (yes, it's that old) vs Blue Dot. I will go with Universal for this 44 Mag project and save the Blue dot for 10mm.

I'm gonna order 100 of Acme 240 coated SWC and see how they work. I can always strip it down and poke a straightened paperclip up into the gas port to clear it if needed. If good, I will order another 500 bullets and let ya'll know how it goes.

Kinda funny reloading data:

Speer reloading manual # 10 circa 1979
    Bluedot max 17.2 gr 1373 fps

Speer reloading manual #12 circa 1994
    Bluedot max 13.7 gr 1285 fps

The pusification/Lawyerification of American reloading or Bluedot somehow gets incredibly more powerful???

Gringop
    Could be better pressure testing or a change in how they made Blue Dot. The difference in that Blue Dot data looks like the point of diminishing returns. 3.5gr more powder for less than 100fps increase in velocity, and you load 20% fewer rounds per pound.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I looked this subject up on the cast bullet forum, theres a number of threads about it, the majority seem to say they shoot cast with no problem in their guns, a couple said they eventually had to take the gas system apart and clean it, some replying theyd been shooting theirs for years/decades/centuries without taking it apart....

Others mentioned it didnt require full power loads to function well, medium loads worked OK. I wish id known all this years ago, I probably would have bought one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cast...t=gws-wiz-serp
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'd like to see a .357 Deerfield

I don't own a 44 mag anything but I've shot coated lead in a gas carbine. I loaded up some 30 carbine with my normal load using 2400. I don't know what the velocity was but Alliant website says around 1750 fps. I field stripped it and didn't find any barrel leading or any issues with the gas block. I ran about 25 rounds IIRC.

That probably doesn't help your situation but it might be somewhat relevant.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List