Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver concealed carry holsters

Site Supporter
    I picked up a Summer Special for my 4" model 13. I've got to wear it around the house more as I just haven't been able to get comfortable with it. Not that it's not physically comfortable to wear, I'm just not used to it.

Site Supporter
    Milt Sparks VM2 and a PMK work very well for my Model 69.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    For 3" and 4" N-frames, I have PWL leather pancakes and a very old Comp-Tac Gurkha IWB.

For 3" K-frames I use a Bianchi 3S .
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have worn and concealed a 200 AW quite a bit over the years. Often with a light shirt. That said, it may not be as concealable as a pancake design it certainly works. For a guy who is more stout like you are, I think it would actually not be too hard.

Another option you may want to look at, and may seem outside the norm, but you may want to consider a Summer Special. Recently I had one made for a 4" N Frame, and I can tell you that after just a couple of test runs, getting a feel for it, in terms of how it distributes the weight, and how comfortable it is, that it is going to see a lot of use in the near future.

One of the things I have always liked about the IWB rigs, and Summer Special in particular, when it comes to carrying a 5" Government Model, which is a heavy gun, compared to a lot of others, is that when worn with a good belt, the Summer Special really offset the weight and made carrying a heavy gun far more comfortable.

So I figured I would try it with an N Frame. I was a bit concerned with the cylinder width, but it ends up, that is a non-issue. It is very comfortable and distributes the weight quite nicely for all day carry. I am glad I took a pic of it as it looks new, as I know by this time next year it likely won't look nearly as nice.

Anyways, the 200AW is never a wrong answer for an OWB rig, especially for an N Frame. But for you and all you do and considering your lifestyle and the fact you place concealment as a pretty high priority, you may want to look at a Summer Special.

The one shown is a straight drop, which is not standard. The standard is a forward cant of some degree percentage that I do not know. I am sure its on their website or you could call and ask. I prefer straight drop holsters for a variety of reasons.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I'm not sure I could do the n frame iwb. I can just manage a 1911. Berettas and Glocks cause my sciatic nerve to act up if I carry them iwb behind the hip.

HF3 Revolver Holster - Tucker Gunleather Store

I had this one for a hot minute, it walked off at a public gun range while I was hanging targets,

It was for a 3 inch GP100 and did sit a touch lower than the pancakes that I have. The butt didn't tuck quite as tight as a pancake. The standard flannel over shirt covered it well but I would need a Tall in a pullover.

I'm a bit gun shy on ordering new leather, The Tucker wasn't quite what I was looking for and it may have eventually proved its worth but I only had it a couple of weeks with it. I have a few others in the box-o-holsters that only work in a specific roll. I'm glad they are there when I need them but...

I have a JMCK George for the same gun, it's one of those that don't get much use but fills a roll when needed. It should have been a wing-claw to help tuck the full-size grip and it only works with certain pants with high waists. It's a big package to stick down the front of cowboy cut Wranglers.

One day I will commit to ordering something from Sparks or Barranti

When searching for a holster to carry a 4” N-frame on my trouser belt, I was advised by holster-make Red Nichols to select one that positioned the cylinder on the belt.

I went with Lobo’s rendition of the Avenger:

https://lobogunleather.com/owb-outsi...anced-avenger/

I haven’t used it much and not truly for concealment. It would conceal under a jacket, but that’s not much of a thing here in Texas.

Barranti CCR

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    When searching for a holster to carry a 4” N-frame on my trouser belt, I was advised by holster-make Red Nichols to select one that positioned the cylinder on the belt.

I went with Lobo’s rendition of the Avenger:

https://lobogunleather.com/owb-outsi...anced-avenger/

I haven’t used it much and not truly for concealment. It would conceal under a jacket, but that’s not much of a thing here in Texas.
    This surprises me, because Red recognized the bulk of revolver cylinders and began cutting his Fighting Shucks to have a relieved cylinder opening (no leather covering the cylinder on the body side) and positioned the cylinder face at the top of the belt.

Years ago there was a 'CABO' (Carry-A-Big-One) IWB holster, which positioned 4" and longer revolvers with the cylinder above the belt line. By all accounts it carried very well (I never had a chance to buy one).

The CCR, Sloan, and 200AW are definitely going to be on the farther out from the belt line way of life.

A pancake will be your best concealing holster if you're not wanting to go IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post

The CCR is is actually what started this. The website states
    "Barranti Leather is proud to introduce our new line of concealed carry holsters. These holsters were designed to address issues that can make traditionally styled holsters less than ideal for concealed carry.

What issues? Traditionally styled holsters tend to have a narrow belt loop which concentrates the weight of the over a small area of the belt. This tends to drag the belt down, which then makes the wearer constantly tug at their belt. Additionally, the narrow belt loop doesn’t do enough to keep the gun pulled in snug to the body"

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This surprises me, because Red recognized the bulk of revolver cylinders and began cutting his Fighting Shucks to have a relieved cylinder opening (no leather covering the cylinder on the body side) and positioned the cylinder face at the top of the belt.

Years ago there was a 'CABO' (Carry-A-Big-One) IWB holster, which positioned 4" and longer revolvers with the cylinder above the belt line. By all accounts it carried very well (I never had a chance to buy one).

The CCR, Sloan, and 200AW are definitely going to be on the farther out from the belt line way of life.

A pancake will be your best concealing holster if you're not wanting to go IWB.
    IDK, his specific words were “you want that heavy cylinder on your belt “ (referring to an N-frame).

Now I wasn’t looking so much for concealment as for field and possible IDPA use, so, AMMV.

I can see why you wouldn’t an N-frame cylinder in-line with your belt when carrying concealed.

User Tag List