Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: A300 Ultima Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    You jest, but I would legit love to have a DA/SA trigger with decocker on a shotgun.
    I really dug the 590DA1 T&E gun that I bought for a former agency....wish I could've keep it. Maybe I'll run across another someday.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Redhat, as far as preference, I'm still vetting and haven't put a lot of rounds through. The Beretta ran great the one time I got it out, upthread. Very nice gun, and I like it, but I don't have many rounds through it at all.

Personally, I have a greater faith in my ability to manipulate the top tang safety on the Mossberg under stress: on-target, safety off; off-target, safety on. Forward to fire.

It's just decades of carrying top-tang safety shotguns in duck blinds, in the field etc. (One of those guns being a Franchi over-under, so it's not like I'm a Mossberg die hard.).
    Last edited by idahojess; 04-16-2023 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Redhat, as far as preference, I'm still vetting and haven't put a lot of rounds through. The Beretta ran great the one time I got it out, upthread. Very nice gun, and I like it, but I don't have many rounds through it at all.

Personally, I have a greater faith in my ability to manipulate the top tang safety on the Mossberg under stress: on-target, safety off; off-target, safety on. Forward to fire.

It's just decades of carrying top-tang safety shotguns in duck blinds, in the field etc. (One of those guns being a Franchi over-under, so it's not like I'm a Mossberg die hard.).
    Thanks for figuring out my post after I made a mess of my reply.

The ambidextrous safety on the Mossburg is nice to have.

The problem is the 930 was a POS so the 940 has to start from behind the curve. I hope it’s a good gun. However, the Beretta will always have good resale value, and will likely be as good or better than the Mossey.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The ambidextrous safety on the Mossburg is nice to have.

The problem is the 930 was a POS so the 940 has to start from behind the curve. I hope it’s a good gun. However, the Beretta will always have good resale value, and will likely be as good or better than the Mossey.
    Such a turnaround isn't unprecedented, though. The Beretta 1201 wasn't a great gun by any stretch, but the 1301 has become a gold standard.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I really dug the 590DA1 T&E gun that I bought for a former agency....wish I could've keep it. Maybe I'll run across another someday.
    I remember reading about those, but I've never actually gotten my hands on one. I'd heard horror stories about the god-awful long/heavy trigger, which frankly isn't a good thing when you want to train heavily with a gun. That's why I want DA/SA with a decocker. But I might as well wish for a true and proper gov interpretation of the 2A, I'd have about as much chance of it happening.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

I had the stock shortened and a tritium XSBD mounted. I was able to bust a few clays with it, but it might have gotten tiresome in an all-day affair.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

LHS - getting off-topic to some extent with this, but do you see Mossbergs complete classes without breaking, as often as 870s, Berettas and Benellis? I’m guessing not, but you’ve been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    LHS - getting off-topic to some extent with this, but do you see Mossbergs complete classes without breaking, as often as 870s, Berettas and Benellis? I’m guessing not, but you’ve been there.
    500s and 590s seem to have about the same breakage rate as 870s, maybe less, it's hard to say given the vast differences in age, generation, maintenance, and round counts on guns that come through our classes. Mostly what I've seen are the plastic safeties wearing out/coming loose. They're generally pretty solid guns, depending on when they were made. Recent years have seen a few QC issues much like Freedom Group-era 870s, with sketchy feeding.

930s have had an abysmal success rate, most of them haven't made it through a full weekend class without significant issues (not necessarily parts breakage, but failure to run). The ones that have tend to be run by people who put a lot of time and effort into keeping them cleaned and lubricated. They do not seem to run well when dirty and/or dry. We haven't had a 940 come through class yet so I can't speak to those.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    500s and 590s seem to have about the same breakage rate as 870s, maybe less, it's hard to say given the vast differences in age, generation, maintenance, and round counts on guns that come through our classes. Mostly what I've seen are the plastic safeties wearing out/coming loose. They're generally pretty solid guns, depending on when they were made. Recent years have seen a few QC issues much like Freedom Group-era 870s, with sketchy feeding.

930s have had an abysmal success rate, most of them haven't made it through a full weekend class without significant issues (not necessarily parts breakage, but failure to run). The ones that have tend to be run by people who put a lot of time and effort into keeping them cleaned and lubricated. They do not seem to run well when dirty and/or dry. We haven't had a 940 come through class yet so I can't speak to those.
    Interesting, thanks.

User Tag List