Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: A300 Ultima Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Looking on Beretta's site the MSRP is now listed at $1720 for the field stock model.
    Within the last month or so, I checked a local store in the SF Bay Area. They wanted over $1800 for a 1301.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Within the last month or so, I checked a local store in the SF Bay Area. They wanted over $1800 for a 1301.
    I purchased a 1301 from scheels this month for 1700, but they price matched Berelis.com at 1400 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    500 rounds through the A300 and the wost thing that happened was the mag tube clamp walked forward.

That video did confirm that rear sling mount is in a terrible place. At one point he had the gun just hanging by the sling and the gun had completely rolled over with the trigger group pointing up. If you try carrying it like you would an AR15 you would have to reach under the gun to grab it and roll it back upright as you bring it up. Beretta should have placed a sling mount on either side of the stock and not on the bottom. I think that will be a deal breaker for anyone who needs to carry it slung.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman514 View Post
    That video did confirm that rear sling mount is in a terrible place. At one point he had the gun just hanging by the sling and the gun had completely rolled over with the trigger group pointing up. If you try carrying it like you would an AR15 you would have to reach under the gun to grab it and roll it back upright as you bring it up. Beretta should have placed a sling mount on either side of the stock and not on the bottom. I think that will be a deal breaker for anyone who needs to carry it slung.
    I've modified several guns to add QD sockets to hollow polymer stocks. It really isn't that hard and I've got a couple more to do in the next month. I like this one the best.

https://grovtec.com/products/hollow-...afa0d97e&_ss=r

Remove the buttplate, decide where you want to put it, make sure you don't have a stock bolt in the way. Measure twice, drill once. On this particular one, as I recall they say use a 1/2" drill. The cup is little larger in diameter so I've used a round file to chamfer the edge and open the hole up just a little. A hex wrench fits a hole in the middle and I bear down and thread it into the plastic. That takes some back and forth, but I think it is more secure than just enlarging the hole. "Screw" it down using the hex wrench, put a little locktite on the threads and then install the nut on the inside. Easy-peasy. I've got a synthetic Ruger GSR stock arriving tomorrow and I plan to add one to each side for flexibility, though I could get buy with just one. I'm going to install a different cup in the forend. I've also got a Fight-Lite that uses a Remington 1100 stock and I'm doing the same for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman514 View Post
    I agree but I don't see it as that big of a deal because you can just buy a QD cup and drill a hole in the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Got a chance to shoot a few Brenneke slugs at 50 yards. A three shot group with two overlapping, about 2.5 inches. I need to do more and compare with my 1301 but this is shaping up to be a competent slug gun. Functioned with an 8 pellet low recoil load but limited rounds fired again. So far, this is totally a good lower dollar choice.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I've modified several guns to add QD sockets to hollow polymer stocks. It really isn't that hard and I've got a couple more to do in the next month. I like this one the best.

https://grovtec.com/products/hollow-...afa0d97e&_ss=r

Remove the buttplate, decide where you want to put it, make sure you don't have a stock bolt in the way. Measure twice, drill once. On this particular one, as I recall they say use a 1/2" drill. The cup is little larger in diameter so I've used a round file to chamfer the edge and open the hole up just a little. A hex wrench fits a hole in the middle and I bear down and thread it into the plastic. That takes some back and forth, but I think it is more secure than just enlarging the hole. "Screw" it down using the hex wrench, put a little locktite on the threads and then install the nut on the inside. Easy-peasy. I've got a synthetic Ruger GSR stock arriving tomorrow and I plan to add one to each side for flexibility, though I could get buy with just one. I'm going to install a different cup in the forend. I've also got a Fight-Lite that uses a Remington 1100 stock and I'm doing the same for it.
    Name:  Ruger GSR 1.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  42.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    It seems like he is being punched by his own shooting hand thumb a lot.

I know I've heard at least one other instructor mention it, but isn't running your shooting hand thumb on the top of the stock a better way to keep from getting kicked in the nose by your thumb?

I've been trying to keep my thumb on the top of the stock since I took a local class in 2016 and my nose got smacked enough times to see the wisdom in not having my thumb in front of my nose. Plus, with a top tang safety on an over-under field gun or a Mossberg it seems like a good technique.

Has placing the thumb on top of the stock fallen out of practice with the Magpul stock?

Here is good video on Louis Awerbuck's take on where to place the shooting hand thumb, at 31:50 in (obviously, his stance and technique is different than what I think is taught now). Still a cool video:

https://youtu.be/GdOJRRlVtwI

Edited to remove embed of video. Don't really like the copyright issue -- but it is on youtube.
    If your Thumb is "Popping" you in the Face, it's likely the Stock is too short, the Comb too low or both...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    If your Thumb is "Popping" you in the Face, it's likely the Stock is too short, the Comb too low or both...
    Most stocks that are properly short, and low enough to use typical shotgun irons or cowitnessed dots, will result in popping yourself in the cheek/nose with your thumb if you wrap it around the grip. Given there's little if any need to do so to control the weapon, I generally advise not wrapping the thumb for just that reason.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Most stocks that are properly short, and low enough to use typical shotgun irons or cowitnessed dots, will result in popping yourself in the cheek/nose with your thumb if you wrap it around the grip. Given there's little if any need to do so to control the weapon, I generally advise not wrapping the thumb for just that reason.
    ...and here I thought the British put to paper everything we needed to know about Shotgun Fit over 100 years ago...FWIW, their dictum of having the forward-most portion of your cheek 1 to 1 & 1/2 inches BEHIND the rearmost portion of the heel of your hand that's likely to touch your cheek was good advice 150 years ago, is good advice today and will be good advice in another 150 years--UNLESS, of course, you LIKE getting "Popped" in the Cheek & want to develop a pretty good-sized FLINCH--Then, by all means, "Knock" yourself out!

User Tag List