Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 shockwave 410

Mossberg 590 shockwave 410

Spurred by the discussion in another thread and medical limitations which mean I will never put a shotgun to my shoulder/cheek again, I visited my local Academy Sports who had one of these things and took the display unit home with me.

I own a TAC14 12ga and after almost a year working with the thing I have found it wanting in my personal use. I cannot stick the thing out in front of my face or against my cheek and fire it for the same reasons I can no longer use a conventional shotgun, so I resorted to the center of chest/sternum type index for that gun. It works well enough at close range but I struggle with vertical stringing and consistently being on target any further than that 7-10 yard range using this index. Even after a lot of practice.

What intrigued me about the 410 version is the very low recoil while retaining the ability to put some substantial 000 buck down range at modest velocities, and maybe getting a better sight picture/index safely because of the low recoil.

Turns out that hunch was right and I can put this thing in front of my face all day long and shoot without any danger of wacking myself, with any available load so far.

I have only had three range sessions, trying various types of 000 buckshot loads for the pattern, ease of cycling.

The Winchester 3 pellet and 5 pellet loads are not patterning well and the 5 pellet Winchester has the worst recoil so far. The 2.5" Winchester shells have produced the only malfunctions so far in terms of cycling the action. However both the Remington 2.5" 4 pellet and 3" 5 pellet produce much tighter groups and cycle easily. The mag tube will take 5 of the 2.5" shells so that is at the moment my go to loading for this little gun. The mag tube will only hold 4 of the 3" shells.

I got one of the pic rails for the top of the receiver and mounted a Holosun 407CO which is a really good choice for me for a rig like this. When I bring the thing up to face level in front of me the dot is right there. This outfit makes an 8 round side saddle perfect for 410 shells (their version sized for rifle cartridges).

Today I patterned that 4 pellet Remington load at various distances, the pictures are my 10 yard, 15 yard and stretching it a bit too far 25 yard groups. This project is a work in progress for me and I will report more observations as I play with this thing and learn more, but my early results are encouraging. I doubt this becomes any more than my basic farm gun that gets throw it over my shoulder to go see what the dogs are barking about duty out here....so next is to figure out a way to mount a light

Name:  m590 410 10 yards.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  23.3 KB Name:  M590 410 15 yards.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  18.8 KB Name:  MS590 419 25 yards.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  25.3 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Have you every thought of a single point sling and using isometric tension to keep the shotgun centered under your dominant eye? Kind of like the old Singleton/HK CQB sling setup.

Being probably the only guy in America who didn't buy a brace to circumvent NFA, I did that all the time when I had AR pistols.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Have you every thought of a single point sling and using isometric tension to keep the shotgun centered under your dominant eye? Kind of like the old Singleton/HK CQB sling setup..
    Thanks I will try that, I have done it before on other platforms with my head and left shoulder/arm inside the sling and then push out (right handed, righty eye dominant). I do think that would make me steadier with this set up.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Spurred by the discussion in another thread and medical limitations which mean I will never put a shotgun to my shoulder/cheek again, I visited my local Academy Sports who had one of these things and took the display unit home with me.

I own a TAC14 12ga and after almost a year working with the thing I have found it wanting in my personal use. I cannot stick the thing out in front of my face or against my cheek and fire it for the same reasons I can no longer use a conventional shotgun, so I resorted to the center of chest/sternum type index for that gun. It works well enough at close range but I struggle with vertical stringing and consistently being on target any further than that 7-10 yard range using this index. Even after a lot of practice.

What intrigued me about the 410 version is the very low recoil while retaining the ability to put some substantial 000 buck down range at modest velocities, and maybe getting a better sight picture/index safely because of the low recoil.

Turns out that hunch was right and I can put this thing in front of my face all day long and shoot without any danger of wacking myself, with any available load so far.

I have only had three range sessions, trying various types of 000 buckshot loads for the pattern, ease of cycling.

The Winchester 3 pellet and 5 pellet loads are not patterning well and the 5 pellet Winchester has the worst recoil so far. The 2.5" Winchester shells have produced the only malfunctions so far in terms of cycling the action. However both the Remington 2.5" 4 pellet and 3" 5 pellet produce much tighter groups and cycle easily. The mag tube will take 5 of the 2.5" shells so that is at the moment my go to loading for this little gun. The mag tube will only hold 4 of the 3" shells.

I got one of the pic rails for the top of the receiver and mounted a Holosun 407CO which is a really good choice for me for a rig like this. When I bring the thing up to face level in front of me the dot is right there. This outfit makes an 8 round side saddle perfect for 410 shells (their version sized for rifle cartridges).

Today I patterned that 4 pellet Remington load at various distances, the pictures are my 10 yard, 15 yard and stretching it a bit too far 25 yard groups. This project is a work in progress for me and I will report more observations as I play with this thing and learn more, but my early results are encouraging. I doubt this becomes any more than my basic farm gun that gets throw it over my shoulder to go see what the dogs are barking about
    For the 12 gauge and sternum hold have you considered laser sight? https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...s/lasersaddle/

They are on sale with Black Friday.

I've used Crimson Trace for decades on J frame, wore one out though it lasted over a decade and over 1000 rounds in the snubby and daily pocket carry.

Visibility in daylight outside might be iffy past few yards, but I have never had problem with indoor visibility ether at home for dryfire or at indoor ranges with live fire.

Now my J frame CT are older Red laser, Green is supposed to be more visable ie brighter to human eye, but if your going to be using it on varmints outdoors around farm might want to stick to Red to see vs green background.

Edited to add:

Looking forward to your 410 experience, though based on my understanding from reading other thread I was thinking 10 yards or less for the 410.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Have you every thought of a single point sling and using isometric tension to keep the shotgun centered under your dominant eye? Kind of like the old Singleton/HK CQB sling setup.

Being probably the only guy in America who didn't buy a brace to circumvent NFA, I did that all the time when I had AR pistols.
    Lot of people did, maybe still do that with hunting revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    For the 12 gauge and sternum hold have you considered laser sight? https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...s/lasersaddle/

......Visibility in daylight outside might be iffy past few yards, but I have never had problem with indoor visibility ether at home for dryfire or at indoor ranges with live fire.
    Yes, I bought one of those a year ago. It is useful in low light from 15 yards or closer but like the pistol versions just disappeared in daylight beyond 5-7 yards or was so hard to see it was not useful. Timer said I was actually faster without it (turned off) at 10 yards using the sternum hold. I think if they made that unit with a stronger laser and maybe green it could be a better solution for sternum hold.

It is on the Tac14 still but I would not even bother to punch it on unless it was night time. That was the other thing, the controls don't work with your grip on the Shockwave type shotguns like they do on all the pistol grip versions of the CT's. For me that switch is either turn it on and leave it, or else not something you will easily activate or momentarily activate......at least I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Yes, I bought one of those a year ago. It is useful in low light from 15 yards or closer but like the pistol versions just disappeared in daylight beyond 5-7 yards or was so hard to see it was not useful. Timer said I was actually faster without it (turned off) at 10 yards using the sternum hold. I think if they made that unit with a stronger laser and maybe green it could be a better solution for sternum hold.

It is on the Tac14 still but I would not even bother to punch it on unless it was night time. That was the other thing, the controls don't work with your grip on the Shockwave type shotguns like they do on all the pistol grip versions of the CT's. For me that switch is either turn it on and leave it, or else not something you will easily activate or momentarily activate......at least I cannot.
    Yeah they aren't perfect, but they work so well on the little snubby's even making up for the short sight radius.

For what its worth they do have green for Rem https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...1.html#start=1 and Mossberg now. Might not have when you first got them.

Good luck, I really do look forward to your progress with the 410.

Following with interest...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If only there were slug loadings closer in weight to the 410 buckshot load, it would really add impressive utility for the 410 IMHO.

If the 5 pellet load is actually OOO size should be ~350 grains.

The 45-60 had 300 grain at ~1350 fps and the 45-75 (chambered in the 1876 Centennial) had 350 grain @ ~1380 fps.

A real slug combined with the buckshot load, plus birdshot would make for lot of utility as camp/trail/etc gun IMO.

Dunno if it would work with a 410 tube, but I like the Streamlight I picked up at the NRA convention last summer.

Name:  Racker 1.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  37.1 KB

1,000 lumens

Name:  Racker 2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  21.0 KB

User Tag List