Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts about Liberty Civil Defense vs body armor.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    So then aside from having to penetrate body armor; what’s wrong with it in that situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve tested it in armor with fake ballistic gel in back and it’s ridiculous. It’s a dumb gimmicky construction. Basically like birdshot shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    So then aside from having to penetrate body armor; what’s wrong with it in that situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Limited penetration depth coupled with a very narrow (sub-caliber width) permanent channel and minimal tissue damage associated with it.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Last edited by the Schwartz; 12-13-2022 at 10:51 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I tested this in 9mm and .357 in clear gel years ago. The fragmenting portion of the bullet would only make it between 3 and 6 inches, and the core in 9mm, would not make 12 inches.

Just another gimmick round with flashy marketing.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Turns out that our .38 Special 158-grain FMJRN would need to strike the armor plate at 3,766 fps (VAT) to do so, but when it exits the rear of the armor plate at ≈860 fps, almost all of its mass will have been consumed by erosion and it will exit as a small flat disc weighing just 1.3 grains with a 'length' of about 0.005''!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That. Is. Awesome!

I visually pictured what that would look like in my mind’s eye and it was glorious!
    For further consideration, the five models' estimate of that thin 1.3 grain disk at ≈860 fps terminal ballistic performance of after it exits the rear of the plate are in surprisingly close agreement with one another.

Predicted penetration depth of the penetrator's residual mass in human soft tissue is, respectively,

1.) A Mathematical Model of Penetration of Chunky Projectiles in a Gelatin Tissue Simulant, Larry Sturdivan (1978) 0.173 inches
    2.) The Mathematical-Physical Model of Wound Ballistics proposed by CE Peters (2001) 0.169 inches
    3.) The WTI (Wound Trauma Incapacitation) Model proposed by Duncan MacPherson (1995, 2005) 0.203 inches
    4.) The QAS (Quantitative Ammunition Selection) Model proposed by Charles Schwartz (2012) 0.170 inches
    5.) The mTHOR bullet penetration algorithm proposed by Charles Schwartz (2014) 0.190 inches

Of course, the spalled armor material being thrown from the rear of the plate during the projectile's exit might also prove to be a bit ''problematic'', too.

I shot some liberty civil defense 9mm through a windshield at some cardboard once. Cardboard was around 3yds beyond the windshield. Only things to hit the cardboard were slivers of stuff, either bullet fragments or glass. Hard pass for me.

User Tag List