Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Louis Green and the modern approach to using your sights

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Ultimately we want to see what we need to hit through the rear sight window, yes?

So make that happen as soon as possible.
    Considering iron sights, when employing this, is there a characteristic of a rear sight that would be beneficial? Dot/dots, plain, serrations, depth of sight cut, shape of sight cut, wider/narrower, etc.?

Great points, and excellent posts. I was thinking about splitting this thread, but there's so much good stuff here in one place.

Once I moved beyond an emphasis on front sight focus, my iron sight shooting skills grew significantly. It's easy to confirm alignment of irons without bringing focal depth back to them. Except for very difficult or high-risk targets, focusing precisely on the target with blurry irons works as well or better for me. I like your 3-part approach below. It's interesting to consider if/when in that sequence a given person would shift from target focus.

• If it's bigger than your rear sight window and your front sight is somewhere in the window, you should have shot already.
    • If it's smaller than your rear sight window, then put your front sight on it and work your trigger carefully.
    • If it's smaller than your front sight, put the very center of the tip of your front sight on it and work your trigger precisely.
    Don't do that.

Ultimately we want to see what we need to hit through the rear sight window, yes?

If your rear sight window is full of asshole's vital organs and your front sight is in that window somewhere, what are you going to hit? If what you're trying to hit is bigger than your rear sight window, it's not a precise shot is it?

Now "see what you need to see" isn't a riddle anymore. And we're not changing mental focus by looking for a front sight then a rear sight. We're seeing the vitals of dude, catching the vitals of dude in our rear sight notch and just checking to make sure our front sight is in there. Straight line from eye to target. The mental process is cleaner, thus faster.

If you present the gun to see what you want to hit through your rear sight window as soon as practicable, your gun will be oriented in a manner that will let you find your dot.

I only focus on my front sight when I need to shoot a precise target. At typical fighting distances (inside 10 yards) if you just drive the top of your rear sight to dude's armpits your rear window is full of his aortic arch. If your front sight is in that window too, you're hitting aortic arch. That'll work.

Todd's technique was based on the traditional dogma of front sight focus...which isn't necessary except on precise shots. You don't need a front sight focus. Get what you want to hit in the rear window, passively see that the front sight is in the window and go. Had he not lost his ability to train and experiment due to cancer, Todd would have ended up teaching that exact methodology because once you noodle on it you realize it's really the only way that works the way we want it to regardless of what's on top of the gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Considering iron sights, when employing this, is there a characteristic of a rear sight that would be beneficial? Dot/dots, plain, serrations, depth of sight cut, shape of sight cut, wider/narrower, etc.?
    There would be a point at which a rear sight window would be conceivably too wide to give you good information...but beyond the size of the window relative to your target size you're not really looking at the rear sight.

This is the point in class where I point at the visual aid and I say that this void in the sight is called a "window". What do we do with windows? We look through them. So ultimately all I care about is that I can look through the rear window and see what I'm trying to hit. So I don't care much about the rear sight.

If you work with dots that have co-witnessing iron sights and you eat your vegetables like a good person and actually work with the backup irons on a regular basis you are going to be presented with a pretty unappealing sight picture most of the time. Take the Ameriglos I have on my Glocks:

Look at how shallow that rear notch is. Look at how narrow it is. That iron sight picture is uglier than Janet Reno in a camshow and 10 years ago I'd have been able to write a dissertation about all the specific ways I don't like the sight picture.

...except it doesn't matter. Because even with that short, squatted rear sight notch and only being able to see a relatively tiny sliver of front sight if you look at a B8 through that notch and you put the front sight in the center of it, maintain your grip and press the trigger like you have some sense you will hit X, 10, or 9 all day at 25 yards.

If the window of the rear sight is so big that you end up seeing almost everything as smaller than your rear window, that would be a problem. Beyond that I don't care because I'm not really looking at the rear sight. I'm looking through the window in it at what I'm trying to hit.

My X count at 25 will never win me a Bianchi Cup that way...but I ain't shooting Bianchi Cup.
    3/15/2016

@TCinVA, this is great. By all means, carry on.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Great points, and excellent posts. I was thinking about splitting this thread, but there's so much good stuff here in one place.

Once I moved beyond an emphasis on front sight focus, my iron sight shooting skills grew significantly. It's easy to confirm alignment of irons without bringing focal depth back to them. Except for very difficult or high-risk targets, focusing precisely on the target with blurry irons works as well or better for me. I like your 3-part approach below. It's interesting to consider if/when in that sequence a given person would shift from target focus.
    The answer would be "when they feel they need more visual confirmation to guarantee the shot."

One of the things I'm getting at here is that the sights are the least important part of firing an accurate shot with a pistol. Sights are taught as if they are what drives the rest of the shot process but in reality they are nothing more than a reflection of what you're doing to the other parts of the gun. What you do to the grip and the trigger determine how the sights look. All they really are is a visual representation of everything happening below them that you can keep track of to ensure you're hitting what you want to hit.

The more you realize what actually produces the location of the bullet hole, the less attention you pay to the sights. This doesn't mean you don't look at them, it means you stop applying inappropriate levels of mental focus on them.

You can see a fucked up sight picture in as little as .005/second. (Tom Givens has excellent presentations on this) In that brief an amount of time you can tell if it's high, low, left, or right. Or if there's no front sight in the window at all. And you can tell that just by seeing more or less the gross shape of how the sights look in relation to each other. Typical teaching approaches it like if you stare long and lovingly enough at your sights the answers to all of life's problems will materialize. In reality it's like the weather channel. You only want to look at it long enough to figure out if you need a coat or an umbrella and then get on with your life.

This is another reason people go apeshit for dots because it's a big glowing ball that allows you to maintain a target focus and yet still follow the bouncing ball. For the first time they're able to passively watch the aiming reference and it allows them to focus more on other aspects of the shooting process that are much more productive. Well, that's what people who know how to use iron sights have been doing all along. It simply hasn't been explained well because being good at the thing is not the same as understanding how to teach the thing to somebody else.

If we could do detailed analysis of the mental processes of top level performers, you'd see that somebody in a police academy getting yelled at by some "instructor" to FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT would have a ridiculous level of brain power dedicated to their sights while someone like a Rob Leatham would have only the tiniest amount of brain power on his sights. Leatham understands what is actually responsible for where the bullet holes end up. The poor soul in the academy only knows what received "wisdom" their instructor can parrot.

Once you realize that all any pistol sight can do for you is tell you to fix it or send it, you stop looking at them for anything else. This is also a process where more time and experience drives you to look for that hard focus less and less until it's something you go for only when absolutely necessary.

Early on people feel the need for that safey-safe a lot more. When I teach this block of instruction in class it's paired with exercises where we work through the key questions and get them comfortable with applying the concepts at speed. In a private session with a tiny lady who is only big enough to actually conceal a Glock 42 that she struggled to shoot at 3 yards before, after going through these concepts with her I had her at 25 yards on a piece of steel and I asked her: What kind of shot is this?

"My window is nothing but white and my front sight is in there."

"So what should you do?", I asked.

BANGTING...BANGTING...BANGTING

She proceeded to stack three shots almost touching each other in the high chest of that piece of steel. At 25 yards. Hell, I couldn't have fired those three shots that accurately if I tried.

Her focus was on maintaining a consistent grip and working the trigger carefully, and all she did was passively watch her sight to see if it was a go. Now we'd spent time working on grip and trigger too, but when she knew where to put her focus her ability to hit skyrocketed.

It all crystalized for her and in 4 hours she went from being mystified about all of it to telling me what she did wrong immediately when she failed to execute the process properly.

A good instructor is in it to put himself out of business. Because if I'm doing this right eventually you can coach yourself and you don't need me. Which is good, because I can't be there for your gunfight.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 12-12-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    3/15/2016

Adding to @TCinVA's point that obsessing over sight picture is counterproductive (unless shooting Bullseye): I think trigger mechanics are not as important as many people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...There are many reasons for a miss, and only one of them is trigger mechanics:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2a. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    2b. Recoil timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    3a. Transition timing: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target
    3b. Transition damping: your transition wasn't 'critically damped', and you overshoot the target.
    4a. Sight alignment: sights misaligned
    4b. Sight placement: sights aligned but aimed wrong (usually looking at the wrong place on the target)
    5. Vision: focus or eye dominance. Looking at the sights through the wrong eye.

In my opinion pushing down on the gun is the main reason fairly experienced shooters have big misses ...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The answer would be "when they feel they need more visual confirmation to guarantee the shot."

One of the things I'm getting at here is that the sights are the least important part of firing an accurate shot with a pistol. Sights are taught as if they are what drives the rest of the shot process but in reality they are nothing more than a reflection of what you're doing to the other parts of the gun. What you do to the grip and the trigger determine how the sights look. All they really are is a visual representation of everything happening below them that you can keep track of to ensure you're hitting what you want to hit.
    Cooper said a LONG time ago sights confirm stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Cooper said a LONG time ago sights confirm stroke.
    Whole lot of data loss from Cooper until now. From the past in general.

Cooper wouldn't have any trouble finding a red dot on his pistol if he had one.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

If your rear sight window is full of asshole's vital organs and your front sight is in that window somewhere, what are you going to hit? If what you're trying to hit is bigger than your rear sight window, it's not a precise shot is it?

Now "see what you need to see" isn't a riddle anymore. And we're not changing mental focus by looking for a front sight then a rear sight. We're seeing the vitals of dude, catching the vitals of dude in our rear sight notch and just checking to make sure our front sight is in there. Straight line from eye to target. The mental process is cleaner, thus faster.
    Thank you for phrasing it like this. This is the puzzle piece I needed for irons.

(Ironically, it’s the same thing that made a dot work for me after trying all kinds of special formulations.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Indeed.

Working with a dot would have driven that evolution cancer cut short.

I could not care less about competition. But in training with Tim Herron he dropped a little tidbit about how he used sights and Ashton, Brett Harnish and I stopped the class right there and engaged him in drawing out his reasoning. We all understood right there and then the potential. The class was worth going to for that tidbit alone. It's why I continue to train with people as often as my schedule allows, because I never know what will cause me to rethink what I'm doing and evolve a little bit.

The elevated front sight presentation works, but it's not optimal. And it's contra-indicated if someone is using a dot as their primary aiming reference.

Edit - This thread gives me old school Pistol-Forum.com vibes and I'm loving every minute of it.

I'm member number 4. Craig is member number 10. Fuckin' OG.
    I went to a class with Tim Herron as well and fully agree that his class was worth that tidbit about what I kinda came to understand as "rear sight focus"

User Tag List