Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reduced highering standards

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Do a stint in Internal Affairs/Professional Standards for real enlightenment. I thought I knew the folks I was working with. Nope.
    Hard pass. It's been tough enough being a supervisor. The exposure to "why in the actual fuck would you do that?" is high enough already.

What's worse it as the pressure rises on the good ones, and it is, more crack. I'm not surprised we're losing people at the rate we are and I'm (as shitty as this sounds) somewhat surprised suicides tapered off. I think our department's wellness office has been instrumental in that, but many departments don't have that resource.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Story in our local newspaper today about the yuge shortage of veterinarians. Seems the animal hospitals here are turning people away daily. Our local vet had two veterinarians leave in the last year so they lost half their staff. Burn out and increased work load due to the pandemic was sited as a cause. Shut ins bought a lot of pets during the pandemic. Hiring bonuses of 100K with a 3 year contract are being offered by large companies, according to the story.

I'm watching the 60's game show What's-My-Line on YT to learn how to speak English properly. Won't help my spelling though.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Came across this yesterday, mirrors what I've seen. The agency I retired from used to run two academy classes per year. They haven't held one in about a year and a half. The Peter Priniple in promotions there has gone into whatever comes after light speed. The two agencies I do PT work for struggle with recruitment and retention as well. To many things have to change which are not even allowed to be brought up in discussion for there to be any hope on the horizon. Personally, I'm frustrated and disgusted on many levels. I'm praying as a society we can pull our collective heads out of our asses.

https://www.police1.com/police-recru...mallest-one-si
    Last edited by CWM11B; 12-13-2022 at 12:56 PM.

A nearby county - geographically larger than the state of Delaware - has completely stopped daytime patrols due to a severe staff shortage: https://www.appeal-democrat.com/teha...6e8d3481a.html

One of the state's big academies has been struggling to adapt to the times. They are having to become less "militaristic" with discipline because too many cadets were literally crying and quitting when yelled at. They've also cut classes to rush cadets to the streets (like Spanish - in a state where 38% of the population speaks it at home).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Yep. When I tested for my agency, there were 3,000 of us competing for 30 spots. These days, with hundreds of vacant officer positions, 30 people show up to the test!
    Out of the 30 who show up for the initial test, how many graduate from the academy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    A nearby county - geographically larger than the state of Delaware - has completely stopped daytime patrols due to a severe staff shortage: https://www.appeal-democrat.com/teha...6e8d3481a.html

One of the state's big academies has been struggling to adapt to the times. They are having to become less "militaristic" with discipline because too many cadets were literally crying and quitting when yelled at. They've also cut classes to rush cadets to the streets (like Spanish - in a state where 38% of the population speaks it at home).
    Academy Spanish is next to useless anyway, honestly. At least it was for us. A few rote commands was all most people remembered.

I question what's not being cut, though. How much sensitivity/bias hours?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I believe that was creeping into the other classes rather than being one of its own. My cousin has since promoted away from the academy, but last I heard the big causes of failure were:

Inability to respond appropriately to stress
    Inability to write legible/accurate/professional reports
    Inability to pass the high speed driving course

I was suprised in a state where so many households don't have guns that marksmanship was not one of the big disqualifiers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I question what's not being cut, though. How much sensitivity/bias hours?
    Yeah... I get that. Even when I went through the academy in '98 the sensitivity/bias stuff was beyond education and very far into activism.

That said, in today's environment....

I used to think I would enjoy an Acaemy Coordinator position, no, nyet, nope, not gonna happen.

And the two hour academy class in survival Spanish sucks. "How to do a High Risk Stop"... blah.

Around here, I actually liked the USBP's approach for a lotta years...around here, 2.5 months of Spanish language training, before or after, but not concurrent with the academy seemed to hit the sweet spot.

Thank God for Babel and Rosetta Stone....

pat

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I believe that was creeping into the other classes rather than being one of its own. My cousin has since promoted away from the academy, but last I heard the big causes of failure were:

Inability to respond appropriately to stress
    Inability to write legible/accurate/professional reports
    Inability to pass the high speed driving course

I was suprised in a state where so many households don't have guns that marksmanship was not one of the big disqualifiers.
    So I'm guessing you're in NorCal. CA POST standards for firearms training are still woefully inadequate, and most Academys treat POST minimums as maximum attainable skill. It is a constant race to the bottom.

Emergency Vehicle Operations were the number one attrition driver for our Academy for several years. The EVOC instructors noticed and looked into it, including by asking the students. The reality is none of these kids drive in the Bay Area. They don't have cars (up front cost, insurance and gas is too prohibitive. Plus no place to park). They have no plans to get a car. A significant number show up to the Academy in the morning in UBER (I shit you not). It's hard to teach emergency driving skills to folks who've only had their license for 6 months....and again don't own a car.

Second biggest failure for us was Sims....Scenario testing. That was largely due to stress management issues. We always knew stress management was at the core of most failures, and they tried introducing stress classes and 'mindful meditation' classes. None of it helped, and everyone just threw up their hands. We saw stress issues as one of the main causes of failure at the range as well. Kids who shot decently would lose their minds when you said 'Test', and shoot like morons. That kind of stress is invariably due to a lack of confidence. They don't really believe their skills are up to the task before them, even if they are. We started introducing more difficult shooting problems earlier, and pushed them harder in training. The last class I supervised training for had a 100% pass rate on all the qualifications. But all the instructors commented on how calm and confident the recruits were. They didn't sweat the tests at all. During the 4 years I was there, we managed to raise qualification standards, tighten time standards, and still reduce the failure rate. It can be done, but your instructors have to be knowledgeable and committed. I always considered a recruit failure at the range to be at least as much our failure as the students. Thats the kind of thinking you have to have to continually advance a program.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The word your looking for is "hiring."
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    He has it correctly in the body of his O.P., so maybe cut him a little slack in the spirit of the season.
    What if your holiday is Festivus?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List