Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cognitive Conclave - Red Hill Range, GA - 4/29 & 30, 2023

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You're gonna be fine.
    Glad to hear. I'm really looking forward to it!

Only four spots remaining.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Any hotel recommendations ?

Three spots remaining.

The hotels in Lavonia are slightly closer. The hotels in Commerce have more stuff around them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Is there a specific hotel that the crew has chosen?
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Is there a specific hotel that the crew has chosen?
    Hearne & I both ended up at the Fairfield Inn in Commerce, GA

Are there any dinner plans for Saturday night?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Three spots remaining.

The hotels in Lavonia are slightly closer. The hotels in Commerce have more stuff around them.
    This was worth the effort and money. Three solid instructors plus obviously dedicated and competent students made for a very good weekend. The round count was not high, but this was not a class for shooting training, rather a class for thinking about when, where and how to shoot. There were steel targets, turning targets and moving targets, some “engineered” by Lee Weems’ range master, Steve Harvey. He kept the groups moving between ranges-groups of 12 which kept students fairly busy and did a good deal of the admin work also.
    One aspect I appreciated was a cold evaluation each morning. Short and efficient, the tests showed everyone where they were and what to work on to improve. Gelhaus and Hearne each had a morning lecture and the information was very valuable in the context of defensive shooting. Their range programs then illuminated and reinforced their teaching. From each instructor I got some little gems to remember and reflect on.
    I was also pleased to note several women and young(er) students. They will hopefully take some of the experiences and pass them on.
    Since some forum folks are gear centric, everyone shot some make of semiauto pistol. Most I believe had a dot mounted, though I noted one serving LE officer ran an iron sighted Glock-and did well with it. One Sig had several failures to fire, and that student switched to another pistol to finish up. Moral of that story-have a backup gun if possible. I found out a Gen5 Glock doesn’t like a particular dummy round AT ALL, so even adversity can be instructive.
    I sincerely hope this sort of event can be arranged again and would recommend it in conjunction with technical shooting classes.

This was very excellent. Take it !

User Tag List