Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low ammo and competition

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of improving his performance. Whether that would get him to master or not I have no way of predicting.
    Yes. But that was the exact question asked by the OP.

(Which was kind of my point).

The IDPA matches near me are 110-125-ish rnds per match. So I would say that 500 rnds/month would depend on how many matches he plans to shoot per month. 1-2 matches allows some live fire practice, how much depends on how structured he is with his live fire.

Seems doable when you combine it with a structure dry fire regimen. That being said, when I was new I probably was shooting a lot more to work on fundamentals.

I shoot 2-3 USPSA matches per month right now @ 130-ish per match. Most of my practice range time these days is rimfire/centerfire rifle so 500 rnds of pistol per month is probably what I am averaging in this age of component shortage.

I pointed him to this thread and I’m gifting him some book on training so the rest is up to him.

Follow up question: Again, I’m not a competition guy so I have no idea, but if someone can pass the original federal Air Marshal test cold on demand, what IDPA and USPSA class would that roughly translate to? I get that its not an apples to apples comparison by any means but thinking about competition stuff for my cousin made me curious.

Next range trip I may shoot the IDPA 5x5 just to see where I would rank up. I read an article yesterday where some firearms instructor ran his SWAT class through the 5x5 and 75% of them scored “Novice” and the other 25% scored “Marksman.” Pretty abysmal for SWAT that is supposedly from a big city team.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    I pointed him to this thread and I’m gifting him some book on training so the rest is up to him.

Follow up question: Again, I’m not a competition guy so I have no idea, but if someone can pass the original federal Air Marshal test cold on demand, what IDPA and USPSA class would that roughly translate to? I get that its not an apples to apples comparison by any means but thinking about competition stuff for my cousin made me curious.

Next range trip I may shoot the IDPA 5x5 just to see where I would rank up. I read an article yesterday where some firearms instructor ran his SWAT class through the 5x5 and 75% of them scored “Novice” and the other 25% scored “Marksman.” Pretty abysmal for SWAT that is supposedly from a big city team.

Name:  76B6D00A-A15F-4989-B846-BBFA8046E5B4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  46.1 KB

That’s just a general guideline. Note that when the chart was developed, all USPSA ratings were approximately one step easier than they are now.

USPSA has a very wide and robust set of classifiers that heavily test reload speed but also a fair amount of game specific stuff like draw and transfer to weak hand and table starts.

So IDPA master is a much better simpler thing to train for.

This is a “Hundo” pace CO for USPSA. If you don’t nail the table start and reload you’re DOA.

Most “really good” general shooters will fall in the B class range.

To get higher, there are game specific skills you have to pick up USPSA.

IDPA

This was when I was an M in USPSA, I shot one IDPA indoor match and they ran the 5x5.

I had a really sprained wrist, you can see the brace. I’m blaming the -1s on that.
    Last edited by JCN; 12-11-2022 at 06:42 PM.

How do I know what I know?

In typical PF fashion, all opinions are not created equal and I want to say how I know what I know.

1. I’m a self taught shooter without formal training.
    2. I learned pistol from books and online videos… and a lot of introspection.
    3. I initially started competing as a way to measure myself against a published standard and saw classifiers as the gold standard of that.
    4. I made it to USPSA A class in 6 months from starting competition (about 3 years after starting handgun), Master 6 months after that and GM one year after that. I picked up long guns one year ago and now am a solid USPSA M in PCC on demand.
    5. I can run the 5x5 IDPA and make MA.
    6. I’ve helped train other very ammo constrained shooters get pretty decent @Moylan
    7. In COVID times, I had a “no wasted bullet” training regimen where I would sometimes only shoot 15 rounds in a range session in order to truly maximize each and every round.

Link is here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....aining-program

So I think I get where @Warped Mindless cousin is coming from and have been through it so I know how to get there.

I’ll make a sidebar for @GyroF-16

1. When I started training for a classification goal, I hadn’t shot a match and I didn’t know anybody at the local clubs. I wasn’t thinking about the sport like we traditionally do. I was just thinking of trying to train for the standard, like I would for a FAST or a Vice Card Challenge or some other technical benchmark that would be shorthand for pistol proficiency.

2. I knew it would be paper GM, but that was okay with me knowing that my field course performance would be something that came with more experience and squadding with the people who were crushing it. But I was time limited and I don’t travel to away matches due to family responsibilities.

3. So from that standpoint, I was content with a paper GM card. It was only a goal for proficiency validation of the stand and shoot skills. I see the field course stuff as a separate sport.

4. I didn’t know if I would like the sport per se, that seems to be very club dependent. Turns out I love the guys and gals locally and I love shooting matches. So my field course skills have been working up to my stand and shoot skills. If I had it to do over again, I think I’d still have done it the same way. Paper GM means you’re fast with a killer index and reloads and that’s a great place of foundation to work field course prowess with.

5. So I’m currently doing my field course training alongside my long gun training and a pretty evenly matched M in field course and on demand classifier performance in PCC. Someday when I get to GM field course and classifier in PCC, then I’ll take the field course skills back to CO and I won’t be a paper CO GM anymore….

As a sidebar for @CraigS there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and doing some general improvement training and using IDPA for that. It’s freaking awesome to be able to do it with a spouse both for the camaraderie and for the defensive practice. That is a great use of IDPA and USPSA.

The focused chase of a classification is a different sport, IMO. One that doesn’t happen under a time and ammo limitation without some serious dedication to some things that don’t matter so much in the real world, but for a new handgun shooter trying to prove something to himself / or others, it’s a nice shorthand to describe a certain level of speed and accuracy with a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Jay Beal is the gold standard of someone ammo/budget limited who competes at a high national USPSA level shooting 2000-3000 rounds per year. That’s a little different for someone with more handgun experience, but that’s the example people are going to know.

He has an interesting set of interviews that talk about him maximizing dry fire and doing hybrid dry/live sessions where he doesn’t shoot every shot in a live session and he will dry half the shots in a practice run.
    This was also my first thought when I read the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    This was also my first thought when I read the OP.
    Here are the two interviews I think are the best:

Embedded on this page:

https://firearmsnation.com/jay-beal-...-at-nationals/

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    . . . I’m giving him copies of Ben Stogars books for Christmas.
    It's interesting to note, that I recently took Stoeger's class. One thing that I found very interesting, is he said half of his live fire shooting is done on what he calls the "Practical Accuracy," and "Doubles" drills, in the book "Breakthrough Marksmanship." If time and ammo are limited the rest can be done in dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    It's interesting to note, that I recently took Stoeger's class. One thing that I found very interesting, is he said half of his live fire shooting is done on what he calls the "Practical Accuracy," and "Doubles" drills, in the book "Breakthrough Marksmanship." If time and ammo are limited the rest can be done in dry fire.
    Absolutely agree with this.

User Tag List