Thread: Cold blue, paste, or something else?

Cold blue, paste, or something else?

I have these scratches on the MOS plate (not running RDS on this one} and I want to clean them up. I also have wear from sweat on the safety. What's the best way to clean these spots up?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Cold blue paste has worked well for me (follow the instructions exactly) however metal prep is
    ever so important to the quality of the finished product.

Without metal prep...Scratches and other surface blemishes...are still there just darker.

Progressive sanding to remove offending marks (at the depth of the scratch) to match the surrounding surface finish is a must!

If you make it too shiny or dull you'll have to make the whole surface the same to match. A little trial and error will get you there.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Cold blue paste has worked well for me (follow the instructions exactly) however metal prep is
    ever so important to the quality of the finished product.

Without metal prep...Scratches and other surface blemishes...are still there just darker.

Progressive sanding to remove offending marks (at the depth of the scratch) to match the surrounding surface finish is a must!

If you make it too shiny or dull you'll have to make the whole surface the same to match. A little trial and error will get you there.
    So these are surface scratches or just wearing of the bluing. Would that require sanding as well? If so then at what grit? 4k?

Thank you again!

I’ll bet you could find someone here with an unused cover.

For the safety, I would probably take it off and hit it with a buffing wheel to even it out and then paint it.

Or buy a new lever.

Or not worry about it.

Or buy a holster with a sweat guard.

Cold blue wears much faster than any factory finish. You could blow the safety lever and it would look real nice, but it would rub off in 1/10th of the time it took the factory finish to rub off.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’ll bet you could find someone here with an unused cover.

For the safety, I would probably take it off and hit it with a buffing wheel to even it out and then paint it.

Or buy a new lever.

Or not worry about it.

Or buy a holster with a sweat guard.
    I have another cover. I was just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Cold blue wears much faster than any factory finish. You could blow the safety lever and it would look real nice, but it would rub off in 1/10th of the time it took the factory finish to rub off.
    Good to know. They're working guns, but I just don't want rust happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I have another cover. I was just curious. Good to know. They're working guns, but I just don't want rust happening.

Car wax helps prevent rust on guns too.

As far as the wear on the safety lever…is it actual wear or is it material deposits from your holster? I see little deposit flakes on the slide too. If it’s just deposits, try rubbing it with a pencil eraser or hitting it with WD40 to loosen up the deposit. Then keep it oiled to keep the deposits from forming again.

Site Supporter
    Try a permanent fine point black marker after polishing with 0000 steel wool and oil. Then degrease, dry, and use marker. Accept the result and then worry about something else. Minimal care will prevent rust. This suggestion applies to the top scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Try a permanent fine point black marker after polishing with 0000 steel wool and oil. Then degrease, dry, and use marker. Accept the result and then worry about something else. Minimal care will prevent rust. This suggestion applies to the top scratches.
    Markerized finish. That’s my go to.

User Tag List