Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s Time to Start Rethinking Who Educates Our Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    How would that help or otherwise affect teacher salaries?
    Good question. Because the money (voucher) would go first to the parents, then to the teachers the parents have chosen to educate their children. Poor teachers? Propagandize positions the parents don't support? Parents don't choose you and your salary is affected. One aspect of the voucher system, I'd think, would be that the problem of poor teachers would be more self-correcting.

Duces

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Good question. Because the money (voucher) would go first to the parents, then to the teachers the parents have chosen to educate their children. Poor teachers? Propagandize positions the parents don't support? Parents don't choose you and your salary is affected. One aspect of the voucher system, I'd think, would be that the problem of poor teachers would be more self-correcting.

Duces
    Possibly, but patient satisfaction based medicine may be a good example to compare here. From my understanding, it has led to more doctor shopping, not better outcomes, because people aren't actually interested in good medicine...similarly, I can imagine parents wanting teachers to pander to their bullshit even more instead of holding kids accountable. It could create a "pay-to-play" style incentive.

There may be a lesson to learn from there.

@Sensei
    @YVK
    @Nephrology
    @Doc_Glock
    @45dotACP
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I think patient satisfaction is a bit of a double edged sword. Yes, we want our patients to be satisfied with the care they receive and a lot of that involves good communication.

But sometimes a patient hates when we turn them, give them a foul tasting med, make them to therapy, or start IVs or give painful antidotes for vesicant infiltrations.

Basing something solely on the short term satisfaction of a layperson is risky. In some businesses, "the customer is always right"

But in those businesses, the consequences of a customer being wrong isn't often a dead customer.

I too wonder if this is the case for education. Considering I plan to seek a MSN in nursing education and get my dumbass involved in both, I guess I'll find out. I'll let y'all know for sure.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

@TGS, I haven't looked at this at all. "They" measure satisfaction scores all the time and I've not had any issues there so I simply never cared. I have just signed a new contract and somewhere inside is "likelihood to recommend" metric. When I say IDGAF, I mean it.

In regard to the subject of this thread, all I know that I had neither time nor capacity to homeschool my son. He is a product of Illinois public schools and a Utah private school. We're quite far apart in politics and I am fine with that. I sent him to schools for education and that he got, resulting in a perfect ACT and perfect SAT. Apparently, homeschooled kids score better on standardized scores but I am pretty sure that my English, French, and total of 10 AP subjects he took weren't up to speed.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-12-2022 at 09:23 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Sounds like vouchers might be a fit, doesn't it?
    I would like some of my money back for the service I can’t (not don’t or won’t) use, sure. I don’t mind paying taxes to provide a good to fellow citizens. However, I do not expect money back from the government.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I would like some of my money back for the service I can’t (not don’t or won’t) use, sure. I don’t mind paying taxes to provide a good to fellow citizens. However, I do not expect money back from the government.
    I don't want money back. I prefer less of my money be taken by the government to be spent foolishly.

Patient satisfaction (aka customer service) surveys do not work in medicine because our government and 3rd party payment scheme does not incentivize the patient to seek value. The same can be said for our fee for service provider model that predominantly bills government and 3rd party payers. For example, “patients” with Medicaid having minor complaints readily visit the emergency department where costs are highest unencumbered by the fear of a bill because “Uncle Suga” covers it. Emergency physicians and hospitals are incentivized to kiss their ass because a patient satisfaction survey will be sent that may impact the physician’s salary and hospital rankings/reimbursement (20% of my monthly pay was variable compensation tied to patient satisfaction when I worked in the ED many moons ago).

As a home school parent, I do not feel any of these maladaptive pressures at play that drove me out of emergency medicine. This is very much a traditional business-customer relationship. The teachers are running the business; my family is the customer. We are incentivized to to find value and therefore do our research on the teachers who we choose to hire.

FWIW, all of our teachers previously worked in the traditional education system. They all say the same thing - the new frontier in teaching is homeschooling. Apparently, the perks such as parental engagement, creative freedom, flexible schedule, year long employment options, etc. is pulling a lot of experienced teachers out of the traditional system. This is especially true for the ones who are eligible for retirement benefits but are not ready to hang up the chalk and erasers.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Well, the Chester County, PA elementary schools took an interesting field trip.

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/...a-drag-n517290

Alice in Wonderland complete with a twerking drag queen Cheshire cat and and a neon sign that reads, “It’s Not Going to Lick Itself.”
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Well, the Chester County, PA elementary schools took an interesting field trip.

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/...a-drag-n517290

Alice in Wonderland complete with a twerking drag queen Cheshire cat and and a neon sign that reads, “It’s Not Going to Lick Itself.”
    Words do not fail me, but wouldn't be well received here. I don't have kids, but if I did, they would be out of that school system at light speed. This is right up to the edge, if not over it, of criminal behavior in many parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Possibly, but patient satisfaction based medicine may be a good example to compare here. From my understanding, it has led to more doctor shopping, not better outcomes, because people aren't actually interested in good medicine...similarly, I can imagine parents wanting teachers to pander to their bullshit even more instead of holding kids accountable. It could create a "pay-to-play" style incentive.

There may be a lesson to learn from there.

@Sensei
    @YVK
    @Nephrology
    @Doc_Glock
    @45dotACP

Isn't the question really, "Might more kids be benefited by a voucher system or by the current system"?

Not every child, of course. It's unrealistic that any program would result in high academic achievement for every student. But there is, in my mind, a proven program that would yield a better overall result for more children. The program referrenced is home schooling, and vouchers make make home schooling more likely.

If there's a better alternative, perhaps someone could put it on the table where we could look at it.

Duces

User Tag List