Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PX4 barrel is binding and holding slide out of battery… I think

Yep, in the rotating barrel Berettas it is good practice to run grease around the cam block lug instead of oil. Plenty of friction there. That’s why the SD block is DLC coated.

So I tried it. Even I couldn't assemble the pistol with the recoil spring/guide backwards. Tried it on Compact and Full size. How hard did you have to tap it forward to get the slide to close? I understand the importance of lube and also use grease on the lug also. You were able to repeat the failure by hand cycling? When the slide is all the way back the bottom of the slide contacts/depresses the hammer. The slide moving rearward contacts the hammer, cocks it and remains in contact. Notice anything irregular when repeatedly thumb cocking? Potentially the spring is binding or sometimes binding on the hammer stirrup. Maybe try to recreate the error by hand cycling with the hammer spring removed. If you can recreate the locked up condition, can you depress the hammer or is it fixed and remains in contact with the slide?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Yep, in the rotating barrel Berettas it is good practice to run grease around the cam block lug instead of oil. Plenty of friction there. That’s why the SD block is DLC coated.
    This.

Not to start a lube war, but I use Slip 2000 EWL overall and Slip 2000 EWG on the camming surfaces of PX4s; it didn't start out that way, but that is how it ended up.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    So I tried it. Even I couldn't assemble the pistol with the recoil spring/guide backwards. Tried it on Compact and Full size. How hard did you have to tap it forward to get the slide to close? I understand the importance of lube and also use grease on the lug also. You were able to repeat the failure by hand cycling? When the slide is all the way back the bottom of the slide contacts/depresses the hammer. The slide moving rearward contacts the hammer, cocks it and remains in contact. Notice anything irregular when repeatedly thumb cocking? Potentially the spring is binding or sometimes binding on the hammer stirrup. Maybe try to recreate the error by hand cycling with the hammer spring removed. If you can recreate the locked up condition, can you depress the hammer or is it fixed and remains in contact with the slide?
    probably about the same type of tap you would give a magazine to properly seat it.

On that day at the range I could replicate the slide binding to the rear but I did have to rack it hard. Nothing odd or different feeling about the hammer or cocking the hammer.

After reading through some of the posts made by Storm Tracker (and joining the Facebook owners group) I am gaining a much better understanding of the PX4... Until a few days ago... I basically just knew how to field strip the pistol but didn't really delve any deeper into understanding it. Looking forward to digging in deeper.

Just came home with some Hoppes Gun Grease and a large bottle of Hoppes 9. Going to clean the pistol up as best I can without going past field stripping (I am still not super comfortable breaking it down further but I am going to make that a goal). I'll follow the lube schedule created by Storm Tracker and see if that eliminates the issue I'm currently having. The PX4 is one of 2 pistols I own. The other is a Girsan Regard (92 clone). I need to get an IWB holster for that just in case I run into trouble breaking the PX4 down.. I want to make sure I have a backup for carry.

User Tag List