Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob: The necessity of high capacity magazines.

Site Supporter
    I guess I'm a compromise. When I pocket carry a J frame, it is one of those few SW 432 J frames with 6 shots. Tamara has one and few other folks do. I bought it when SW dumped them, when they were discontinued. The gun show had quite a few for $335. I should have bought two but was sending my kid through college.

As mentioned other times, I also have a SW 632 3 inch, hammered, comped, fiber optics revolver. If my Biden Ban went into effect that would be my EDC belt gun. I found the SW 19 just a touch bigger for my stubby little hands and a 686 was also. I've also mentioned that when I let loose a full power 327 mag as an outlaw gun in a match, the SO thought I blew up as did the spectators. You felt that in your palm. It sits, locked up waiting for it's times.

I might sound like a capacity zealot, but I worry more about the nut than the mugger where I live and work. Only a few miles from the Buffalo Tops. Some of my places of attendance have received credible FBI warnings (which didn't make the national news but we got emails).

I'm going to shoot my 642 in our next carry match. Can't shoot the 32s as USPSA has some religious ban on the smaller calibers. Reading a debate about why they don't have a 22 division was mind numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Consider the need to control one or more young children with 1 hand while running the gun with 1 hand. Reloading that gun with 1 hand is much slower.
    I should have mentioned that my wife always has a Glock 19 in her purse, and next to her (in a holster) at home. So I get a free 15 round reload most of the time. lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    There is no such thing as an average gunfight when you are involved in it!
    Amen!

I taught statistics for many years and risk, distributions, outliers were always part of it. That's why I seize up on the 3,3,3 and posted that the recent old farts chortling about the possible vs the probable was absolute BS.

That one handed problem is sensible! Years ago, I broke my wrist. I was signed up for an gun class with Karl Rehn and Mas' Stressfire. I took them with my non dominant hand and other in cast/brace. It was interesting. Carried my G19 on the nondominant side till I healed. Interesting, when my hand came out the case, I will it to move and it did nothing. Off to rehab. It came back but still gives me aches.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    They’re selling new pistols. Massad mentioned flash mobs. Well, Kyle Rittenhouse fought off a mob with 4 shots. I’m not a law enforcement officer looking for trouble. Revolvers have kept me safe for the past few years, and I’ve weened myself down to one “just in case”Glock 19. Former Navy SEAL Shawn Ryan was sitting around with a bunch of other SEALS, and they all carried Glock 43 pistols a few years ago. Ryan had a Delta operator on his show last night, and his EDC is a Glock 43X. There was some mention of shot placement…..

P.S. I believe in carrying as many rounds as you like. 😉
    Please understand that I'm not picking on you, Frank, I'm only seeking clarification. In "the past few years" how many times have you had to employ the "revolvers that have kept (you) safe" in a defensive situation? And under what conditions? Knowing that may assist in evaluating the concept that six (or possibly 5) rounds is sufficient to repel boarders.

As a sidebar, I'm not now and have never been a Special Operations guy. I don't know, but it's possible that Shawn Ryan and his collegues possessed concealed weapons they didn't display. In any event, I presume that those men have acquired skill sets that I can only admire from afar. So the reference to SEALS doesn't just resonate with me.

Cordially,
    Duces

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Please understand that I'm not picking on you, Frank, I'm only seeking clarification. In "the past few years" how many times have you had to employ the "revolvers that have kept (you) safe" in a defensive situation? And under what conditions? Knowing that may assist in evaluating the concept that six (or possibly 5) rounds is sufficient to repel boarders.

As a sidebar, I'm not now and have never been a Special Operations guy. I don't know, but it's possible that Shawn Ryan and his collegues possessed concealed weapons they didn't display. In any event, I presume that those men have acquired skill sets that I can only admire from afar. So the reference to SEALS doesn't just resonate with me.

Cordially,
    Duces
    Hi Deuces,
    I don’t want to answer that question here, but I’ve never shot anyone. I should add that I’m 6’2”, and still in physically good condition. Would that ward off one of Glenn’s lunatics? Probably not. Trust me when I say that 4 years ago, I owned at least 30, 15 rounds pistols. I just don’t feel the need to carry that much firepower now. I like shiny revolvers, so that’s what I carry. Shawn Ryan had a Delta guy on last night, and like so many of his guests, he emphasized avoidance and evasion. I’ve seen all of the door bell camera, surveillance video self defense stuff on the internet, and have never seen a citizen mag dump ANY number of bad guys.

I like the Wilson Combat guys, and I’m subscribed to the channel. It is a business, and the Bill Drill still involves getting 6 rounds on target.

"Multiple skilled invaders". Your ass is cooked.I don't care how many rounds you have.
    Some situations you can't win.

Like someone, somewhere said, "You will run out of time before you run out of bullets."

Vending Machine Operator
    I don't put too much thought into it, but I will say I do much prefer my modern capacities (Shield Plus 9mm at 12+1 with 12 reload, LCP Max at 10+1 with 12 reload) to what I used to carry (G43 or Shield at 6 or 7 +1 with 7 reload, LCP with 6+1 with 6 reload). Emergencies happen fast and I'd prefer not to worry about counting.

However, in my years of paying attention to defensive gun uses in the news and in my professional capacity, it does seem like the vast majority of situations a J-frame you can shoot well would be perfectly adequate.

While it's an interesting conversation to have ad infinitum (that's why we have it ad infinitum) the oldest and truest wisdom is that someone with a 5-shot J-frame they shoot like an expert is likely better prepared than someone with twice the capacity but half the training.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Sure, if the injustice League attacks, I'm screwed. However, two rampaging nuts is not unknown in several instances. Having a few more rounds would be nice. Cars with 4 racists used to patrol Portland, Oregon looking for minorities. Just give up? Just want one shot each?

This looney went down with two shots. I love that channel.

P.S. @Glenn E. Meyers
    I’m not advocating that anyone on Earth carry a limited number of rounds, even though 15 is still a limiting factor.

Site Supporter
    I know but certainly the antigunners are proposing that. The 10 round ban is popular. NYS dodged the 7 round ban. I'm surprised the antigunners haven't proposed a ban on carrying extra mags or reloads. 3,3,3 for you and me! Show me a case where an upstanding citizen has had to reload!

The good guys at Trolley Mall and the Kenya shopping center, all commented that they realized not having extra ammo was a mistake. That sort of incident is possible and probable (the p value isn't high but its not zero)/

User Tag List