Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob: The necessity of high capacity magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    https://pistol-training.com/the-press-out/

That should get you started. It was an ongoing discussion back in the day. I mostly lurked and read back then. I did use the technique to eventually shoot a lot of sub 6 second FAST drills (and a few sub 5 second ones). I'm not sure how the mainstreaming of red dots on handguns fits in with these ideas, but the important thing to gather from what he was striving for is that first shot speed and accuracy is important.

No mater how fast you cast your first lot, and how many you have onboard after that, you can't miss fast enough or often enough to win a fight.
    Thank you, that's a big help. It's already sent me down a rabbit hole searching usernames associated with him to read discussions, and I feel like I'm delving into historical archives. To me, this stuff's like gold.

Not at all beat, all archives are incredibly useful to me. Thank you.

I understand the point but I don’t want every pistol to be a high capacity 9mm Luger with a rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ssc45 View Post
    It would appear we each must decide on our own salvation.
    A quibble but a good one: the actual quote is κατεργάζεσθε (katergazesthe), which is pretty universally translated as ‘work out’ his own salvation. ‘Deciding’ is nice, but Philippians points to a process, and action, which is pretty applicable to the way a lot of us approach this and other defense-related questions.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A quibble but a good one: the actual quote is κατεργάζεσθε (katergazesthe), which is pretty universally translated as ‘work out’ his own salvation. ‘Deciding’ is nice, but Philippians points to a process, and action, which is pretty applicable to the way a lot of us approach this and other defense-related questions.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I never knew anything about the above, but will change my rendition. It was just something I have said for years. I wish I could remember if it was something I read or just something I stated. At least now, I have a reference.

Cheers, Steve

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Decent video but Mas gets an C- in pharmacology on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by ssc45 View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I never knew anything about the above, but will change my rendition. It was just something I have said for years. I wish I could remember if it was something I read or just something I stated. At least now, I have a reference.

Cheers, Steve
    It first got quoted to me by Jim Higginbotham. We were probably talking about 9 versus 45 or something -- this was in the era between coconuts and our current Metaverse -- and I had not spent a lot of time with St. Paul or any much of the bible. It's a neat phrase for sure. It's part of a short essay on humility, which is also a lot like my experience with pistolcraft.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I read an article by Ayoob years(decades) ago about bullet effectiveness re velocity, caliber, weight and construction.
    The money quote stuck with me: "Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
    I think it can be extended to cover all aspects of close combat. Reliability, controllability, on board capacity, reload speed, size efficiency, mode of carry and constraints(like NPE), likelihood of being targeted for attack vs random predatory attacks(women in bad DV situations, crime witnesses, cops, owners of high volume cash businesses) health issues and so on.
    Each attribute of a pistol is only one part of the puzzle, and too great an emphasis on one attribute may fatally compromise others . For example, at each end of the spectrum: too great a concern for stopping power being resolved with a .44 magnum loaded heavy and hot by someone with arthritic hands, or someone constrained by dress codes only owning a Roland Special.
    No one ever wished for a less capable pistol in a fight, but lots of people have wished for any handgun when their very capable gun was left in the glove box or at home.
    You pays your nickel and you takes your chances.

I can help but think the sig 365 platform has kind of solved the old size vs capability problem.

Traditionally a bigger gun is more capable and has more capacity but is more of a hassle to carry for many.

The 365 series solves that IMO for many people. Want to go super small? Carry the standard one with a 17rd reload.

Go with an XL and you have the best of both worlds in a very shootable gun.

Or slap a macro grip on the xl and have a very capable gun in a package smaller than a G19.

In my LE days '76-'87 (between 2 depts.), I carried a model 19, then a 66. Initially carried ammo dump pouches, 12 rounds total. I eventually bought 2 Safariland speedloaders. Don't remember the part number, but when reloading, the center pin of the cylinder activated the release of the ammo into the cylinder.

I was also a flashlight nerd. Ended up buying my personal Streamlight flashlight with in-vehicle charging system. It lit up the night really well.

LE today, for the most part, has standardized equipment through out the ranks. More training and better equipment too. I applaud anyone who chooses LE as a career. To be honest, I wouldn't have the patience to deal with folks today.

User Tag List