Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob: The necessity of high capacity magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This is, IMO, one of the biggest but least talked about benefits of carrying a reload. It's psychologically satisfying to put the gun back in "full ready condition" at a time when that sort of satisfaction is at a premium. I did not reload, I knew I still had 28 rounds at my disposal, but the mere thought I could was satisfying. I've spoken to many who describe either wishing they could reload "just in case" or how the reload was the "beginning of the end" for them, though never worded that way. It was a signal to the brain that this particular hard part was over and while vigilance was still required and more hard parts were likely coming, the survival stress could start to ease.
    I think the part in bold is my biggest reason for not liking the "tactical reload". I will gladly leave a few live rounds in the mag and have a fully loaded gun to continue if need be. If I have to reload due to having fired rounds, the "emergency reload" will require less fine motor skills to accomplish, than a "tactical reload".

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That is almost enough to have me start carrying a reload. Great point and not one usually presented to “regular Joes” in our meager CCW training.
    Agreed that it not something I've considered as a reason for extra ammo, but I feel like breaking contact and getting out of dodge (somewhere far but safe) is a better solution if the threat is incapacitated

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Latka Gravas View Post
    1) What is the purpose of carrying more ammo. 2) What is the purpose of carrying reloads. 3) What is the purpose of Ayoob's video-the topic of this entire thread.

1) replaces a failing magazine and 2) provides additional ammo if needed. 3) to help people plan ahead, in case they find themselves in a horrible situation-maybe, just maybe help them to do more than simply survive a gunfight-but to win a gunfight.

Calling a viciously violent, reprehensible felon a "target" is because proper decorum precludes me from saying what I really think about anyone putting innocent people in grave danger.

In spite of your comment indicating there is no real reason for doing so, I guarantee you carry a gun that carries more than 6 cartridges and is not loaded with a speed loader.......why else would you even be replying here.
    This isn't personal but I've had these conversations so many times I just don't feel like breaking it down like Barney again. Maybe someone who has the time or energy can direct you to one of a multitude of prior threads, but as a quick synopsis: Because it doesn't cost you anything to carry extra ammo assuming everything else is equal, which it generally isn't. If I can carry a G17, why not, so I do. I'm a cop in a state where nobody gives a shit I have a gun and there's no penalty for "getting made".

But then I sometimes do activities that carrying a G17 is not really feasible and my threat level is exceedingly low. I went for a jog in my neighborhood today. I've needed a gun while jogging exactly once, a pitbull latched on to my forearm, and I shot it in the chest with an LCR to end the attack (revolver, the thing you were sure I wasn't carrying...). Then I got confronted by the owner, who was unsurprisingly a shitbag and was locked up for burglary about a week later. I was pretty glad to have my little LCR that I could easily carry while jogging vs having nothing if I was stuck in the capacity fetish. Or, I could not jog and increase my risk of heart disease which is much more likely to kill me than not enough ammo...

When I travel out of state, especially by airplane, I routinely take a revolver. I don't have to concern myself with mag restrictions, I can silently load and make ready in an airport bathroom on my way out and be armed by the time I hit the taxi stand (no slide to run, a rather distinctive sound nobody wants to hear in the airport...) and I can run a padlock through the window to easily secure it in a nonfunctioning state when required.

So it depends on the context.

Mas and I are well acquainted and he's invited me to collaborate a few times, I've helped him a few times, etc. I say that to say I both like and respect Mas and understand that he needs things to talk about to a very wide audience and it's impossible to delve deeply into given context in that sort of format. He's talking to "the masses", not any given individual with a given skill set and a given threat assessment.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Agreed that it not something I've considered as a reason for extra ammo, but I feel like breaking contact and getting out of dodge (somewhere far but safe) is a better solution if the threat is incapacitated
    It's not either/or.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's not either/or.
    I do not disagree

One thing that I did not mention, IIRC, in my early reply, is that I know that I may have to wait a while, after a defensive incident, for “my cavalry” to arrive. “Their cavalry” may well arrive first. If I have not yet opted to make a tactical withdrawal, to a safer location, before that happens, well, life could get interesting. This is the age of mobile communication devices, that are also navigation devices. I live in a small city, with a well-staffed PD, with a reputation for arriving quickly, but, I often find myself in nearby Houston, where response times can be lengthy.

This is not so much an argument for large capacity in individual magazines, as it is a plea to carry some amount of ammunition beyond that needed to engage one or two attackers. If a revolver, carry enough to completely reload the cylinder at least one time. 2+ is better. If an auto, carry at least one spare magazine.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-18-2022 at 07:15 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Latka Gravas View Post
    I think the part in bold is my biggest reason for not liking the "tactical reload". I will gladly leave a few live rounds in the mag and have a fully loaded gun to continue if need be. If I have to reload due to having fired rounds, the "emergency reload" will require less fine motor skills to accomplish, than a "tactical reload".
    Have you had much recent training? The concept of being concerned with ‘fine motor skills’ when we know that fine motor skills such as sight alignment and trigger press can be accomplished in a fight seems a little outmoded.
    Ignore Alien Orders

As if the horse isn't dead enough, we're going to keep beating it with a new stick by bringing up "fine motor skills"?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Have you had much recent training? The concept of being concerned with ‘fine motor skills’ when we know that fine motor skills such as sight alignment and trigger press can be accomplished in a fight seems a little outmoded.
    Yes I have. I also understand which reloading technique is more likely to delay being ready to defend myself and which technique will not. I don't need to ask you this question because your comment already tells me what I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    As if the horse isn't dead enough, we're going to keep beating it with a new stick by bringing up "fine motor skills"?
    It's the horse zombie apocalypse

User Tag List