Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob: The necessity of high capacity magazines.

Massad Ayoob: The necessity of high capacity magazines.

0:00 - How important is capacity?
    2:00 - Multiple, Skilled Invaders
    3:45 - Bad Guys on Drugs
    5:30 - 10 Round Magazine Limits
    6:25 - Carry Enough Ammunition

Useful video.

Hopefully NYSRPA v. Bruen will remedy the 10 round limit unconstitutional laws.

They’re selling new pistols. Massad mentioned flash mobs. Well, Kyle Rittenhouse fought off a mob with 4 shots. I’m not a law enforcement officer looking for trouble. Revolvers have kept me safe for the past few years, and I’ve weened myself down to one “just in case”Glock 19. Former Navy SEAL Shawn Ryan was sitting around with a bunch of other SEALS, and they all carried Glock 43 pistols a few years ago. Ryan had a Delta operator on his show last night, and his EDC is a Glock 43X. There was some mention of shot placement…..

P.S. I believe in carrying as many rounds as you like. 😉

Guntalk's Tom Gresham said it this way several years ago. Average home invasion is 3 bad guys. Average # rounds to stop a bad guy is three so you need 9. But average hit ratio of police is 50% so you really need 18. So our HD Beretta 92s all have 20 rnd MecGars. My and my wife's EDCs carry 15rnds in the gun and the spare is a 17.

With pistols I only start to get the warm fuzzies with capacity if it starts at least at 12+1, particularly in something like a USP 45, or 13+1 in a G21. For inside the home, it’s a carbine or shotgun if I can get to it, but I don’t feel underarmed with a G21 or USP.

If I lived somewhere where I could only have 10 rounds, in a pistol I’d like them to be as big of rounds as reasonably possible so I’d probably get 10 rounders for a USP 45 and drive on (or do they have reliability issues like Glock ban compliant mags do? Seriously interested in this question, not to change the subject), just make sure to have an extra reload or two more than normal.

Site Supporter
    My take, expressed many times, is that you cannot just plan for the average. You have to plan for the small number of more extreme incidents that can and have happened. Many folks focus on the one or two opponent gun fight. Yes, that is modal fight but not the only fight. We have enough horror show examples were more rounds would have been helpful. In my life, twice it looked like 4 bad guys. Could I fight 4 bad guys - who knows but just 5 rounds in my J isn't comforting (carry a J when constrained!). At my best, we had 3 targets, draw and hit with two shots. With a 1911 from the draw - about 3.75 ish seconds with good COM hits. Might that discourage 4 killed exiting their car - it might. Be nice to have some ammo left in the gun.

Second, this is political. If I were a gun banner, I would pick up this constant 3,3,3 mantra and say that's why we need magazine and capacity bans. More rounds are only used by murderous killers. I would quote all the 'SMEs' who carry a revolver and say that's all you need to promote a ban on semis. Did someone just say that? Did Oregon add to the list of mag bans (Not doing so well in the courts!!! Yay!).

In an institution where I worked, the risk was probably not the single mugger, but the maniacally rampager or two. The longest shots in a large room where quite more than 3 and the long halls were 100 yards. One place allowed carry , one did not.

Thus, I don't buy into if I have a belt gun, preferred, having a limited number of rounds or denying things can be more intense than the modal figures. Those are actually NO SHOTS FiRED. I EDC a Glock 26 and an extra mag or two. Knowing Tom, Mas, Karl, Spaulding, etc. I think the 10 round and a mag is the minimum optimal (ban state).

People carry the smaller guns for convenience and comfort then comfort their psyche with 3,3,3 and shot placement. Note I fired a G42 with 42 As and 2 or three Cs in a recent match, so placement isn't an issue (unless I am scared shitless and stressed out).

If we weren't a ban state - I might move up to a G19 (sold mine as redundant in a ban state and my G17s are for the games).

Hi - I'm Joe Biden. Navy Seals suggest you need less than 10 shots and focus on shot placement. That's why I want to ban semi automatic handguns and only allow revolvers IF you take mandatory courses to guarantee your shot placement. However, you can't carry them unless a business opts in and can't carry in sensitive places (Scalia said so!). We banned assault weapons under my previous watch and a recent president banned bump stocks. NO malarkey, get on the Biden Ban Wagon!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Hopefully NYSRPA v. Bruen will remedy the 10 round limit unconstitutional laws.
    While I said earlier that I carry revolvers, I don’t see what a 10 round limit is supposed to accomplish. Ten rounds is safe, but and 11 round magazine is more deadly? The antigun crowd would be comedic, if they weren’t in power.

ETA @Glenn E. Meyer I own J frame revolvers, but once I started carry snubnose 6 round revolvers, the J frames make me feel under gunned. They rest in my safe now….

Site Supporter
    Consider the need to control one or more young children with 1 hand while running the gun with 1 hand. Reloading that gun with 1 hand is much slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My take, expressed many times, is that you cannot just plan for the average. You have to plan for the small number of more extreme incidents that can and have happened.
    There is no such thing as an average gunfight when you are involved in it!

User Tag List