Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for my guns at home and while travelling

Insurance for my guns at home and while travelling

I have never looked but my guess is that my homeowners insurance doesn't protect my firearms from theft without a rider. And, I am guessing they wouldn't protect me from firearms being stolen from my vehicles. And, then there is rental cars...protected or not? And, then there are airlines and the train.

So if I want to purchase firearms theft insurance, who are the best carriers? The NRA has a program, and other firearm related clubs offer insurance, such as Sporting Clays org, etc.

Does anyone have experience or can I find ratings for my firearm insurance options?

Should I buy extra insurance for my firearms while I am transporting them via airlines or trains?

Anyone?

Thanks,
    CC

Umbrella policy.
    $1M is fairly inexpensive and usually covers everything not covered by homeowners or auto.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

A homeowners or renters policy usually has a separate (read lower) dollar limit that applies to theft of firearms so you are correct that you likely need to supplement that coverage. They typically cover your peronal property while traveling domestically. You should be able to purchase an endorsement to your existing policy to up that coverage to cover yourself. Check and find out what you have for a theft limit (it is usually $500 or $1,000) and go from there.

An umbrella policy is a great thing to have for a multitude of reasons but it may require you to up the limits on the underlying policies in order to purchase. You are probably going to have to talk to whomever you are thinking of purchasing the coverage from to get valid info on the costs.

I always looked at taking the extra insurance (from the airline, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) as motivation for them to get my stuff where it is supposed to go in passable condition but that is most likely me trying to make myself feel better about my chances of ever seeing my stuff again.

Take a look into Inland Marine polices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance
    ...indemnifies loss to moving or movable property...
    The following coverages represent a wide range of the types of coverages typically called "inland marine":
    ...Guns...
    Most all the big name insurances companies will be able to write one.

Ask your current insurer and see what they say. I got a valuable property policy from mine that cover many things, not just firearms. Basically, if you can list it and put a value to it they'll probably insure it.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have mine covered on my State Farm homeowners policy. They're under the same category as jewelry. I just keep them updated with a list of what I have and their replacement values.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I have never looked but my guess is that my homeowners insurance doesn't protect my firearms from theft without a rider. And, I am guessing they wouldn't protect me from firearms being stolen from my vehicles. And, then there is rental cars...protected or not? And, then there are airlines and the train.

So if I want to purchase firearms theft insurance, who are the best carriers? The NRA has a program, and other firearm related clubs offer insurance, such as Sporting Clays org, etc.

Does anyone have experience or can I find ratings for my firearm insurance options?

Should I buy extra insurance for my firearms while I am transporting them via airlines or trains?

Anyone?

Thanks,
    CC
    I am legally obligated to tell you that I am no longer an insurance agent and am not currently licensed to sell insurance in any state.

Generally, homeowner's insurance policies (which include condo and renter's insurance) cover your firearms up to a named limit in the policy, which depending on your carrier is probably 1000-2000 dollars. Some are more and some are less. Your HO policy also generally covers your policy against loss regardless of the location, thus if your wife's wedding ring or your Glock is stolen out of the trunk of your car your HO policy covers that.

As noted, HO policies are weak when it comes to firearms. You have two options: write an Inland Marine (IM) policy which covers your guns specifically, or cover them with a rider on your HO policy. I would generally counsel my clients to write their guns under an IM policy. You can write IM policies that aren't subject to a deductible, unlike a HO policy rider, where you'd have to eat the deductible.

I am no longer an insurance agent, so please do not take that as binding advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Take a look into Inland Marine polices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance

Most all the big name insurances companies will be able to write one.
    In looking at the Wikipedia entry it says that the property that is insured under inland marine coverage is typically one of the following:

* Actually in transit
    * Held by a bailee
    * At a fixed location that is an instrument of transportation
    * A movable type of goods that is often at different locations

I Have a supplimental policy for my guns. After a certain dollar amount the insurance company required me to provide them with copies of reciepts or appraisals.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post

Anyone?

Thanks,
    CC
    Most policies will cover your firearms but only up to a limited amount like 2000 or so. I purchased a rider for mine as I have well over 2k in firearms.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    In looking at the Wikipedia entry it says that the property that is insured under inland marine coverage is typically one of the following:

* Actually in transit
    * Held by a bailee
    * At a fixed location that is an instrument of transportation
    * A movable type of goods that is often at different locations

I Have a supplimental policy for my guns. After a certain dollar amount the insurance company required me to provide them with copies of reciepts or appraisals.
    Took me nearly a week of non-stop printing, and photographing information on the inventory to my insurance agent to get my policy. My HO policy capped at $2k, to which I chuckled, and told the poor, obviously left leaning young lady, that would almost cover the scope on my Sniper Rifle. When I returned with all of the information, photos, and a formalized appraisal from an FFL, she looked like she was trying to pass a chicken from her hind parts.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List