Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing empty guns?

Storing empty guns?

No mag obviously...Slide open and locked, slide forward/in place, trigger decocked, etc.? What's best for safety and parts' wear? New guy wants to know, thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    No mag obviously...Slide open and locked, slide forward/in place, trigger decocked, etc.? What's best for safety and parts' wear? New guy wants to know, thanks!
    All springs at rest. I keep a magazine in empty pistols, and in the empty bolt actions, but not in the empty ARs.

Properly manufactured springs operating within their design parameter’s wear out from cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I don't think it matters with respect to parts wear. Closed actions stay oiled longer. A warm, dry safe is best for preventing corrosion.

But, the safety concern is much more important. I keep loaded guns easily identified, and physically separate from guns I dryfire regularly with. Obviously check any gun to confirm loaded/unloaded every time you handle it. But I like layered safety procedures, and keeping my guns organized in storage adds a layer.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't think it matters with respect to parts wear. Closed actions stay oiled longer. A warm, dry safe is best for preventing corrosion.

But, the safety concern is much more important. I keep loaded guns easily identified, and physically separate from guns I dryfire regularly with. Obviously check any gun to confirm loaded/unloaded every time you handle it. But I like layered safety procedures, and keeping my guns organized in storage adds a layer.
    I like the Zerust bags. Easy to put gun in bag in safe.

Smile

Not sure I understand the question.

Safety wise keep loaded guns separate from stored empty guns. Safes are a relatively small percentage of the costs of firearms ownership. It's not really something to economize on. Perfectly serviceable safes are very affordable. Quick access safes aren't going to be as secure as storage safes, just the nature of the beast. If you don't need quick access unload it, clear it, look away, clear it and store it. Quick access safes are just better holsters with the corresponding level of responsibility. I don't care what the advertising says.

Parts wear wise there can be very slight differences but It's unlikely to be noticed unless you're arguing on an internet forum. Clean and meticulously oiled guns properly stored aren't likely to notice even in harsh environments. If storing a gun in a certain condition would harm it I'd be really worried about using it.

Just because I have the habit of letting my house cool to the 50s for days on end if I'm not around....

...why warm? What is the difference between cold and warm? I assumed that humidity was mostly independent of temperature, which is the factor that mattered. I never thought temperature itself had any role.

Not that my guns seem any worse thus far, just curious for the sake of learning.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just because I have the habit of letting my house cool to the 50s for days on end if I'm not around....

...why warm? What is the difference between cold and warm? I assumed that humidity was mostly independent of temperature, which is the factor that mattered. I never thought temperature itself had any role.

Not that my guns seem any worse thus far, just curious for the sake of learning.
    Humidity and condensation from rapid temperature changes are a much bigger factor than the temperatures themselves.

To answer OP I just store everything with closed chamber, no mag, hammer down/trigger pulled. I actually have a gun room. As a general rule if it's anywhere but the gun room it's safe to say it's loaded. If it is in the gun room it shouldn't be loaded; but I'm not an idiot and still treat them like they might be.

Storing empty guns?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Physics. Warm air can hold more water at a given relative humidity. If you take 50F air at 90%RH and warm it to 70F, the RH will be much lower. (The saturation deficit increases with temperature. )

So, it’s best to have your storage container warmer than the surrounding air.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-07-2022 at 10:29 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So, it’s best to have your storage container warmer than the surrounding air.
    Best but not always the easiest option.

Insulating the gear in the storage container is the easiest way, which as is simple as keeping them in their cases if you have the space. Not everyone does. Oiled guns in cases/bags could care less about temperature swings.

It doesn't take much auxillary heat to keep the space warmer but it can be a pain to setup. Still, if you lack the space to keep guns in cases/bags a little drilling can save a lot of grief.

User Tag List