Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you push on a Sig Front Sight Blade?

Can you push on a Sig Front Sight Blade?

I have a P365XL slide I want to change the front sight on, from Sig OEM to Ameriglo. I only change sights very infrequently, so my sight pusher is not very sophisticated, but I have had it for several years and it works fine for rear sight dovetails, on a very occasional basis.

I've secured the slide in a vise and tried a steel hammer and both brass and steel punches to move the sight in the dovetail, but it is held tight and will not move. I am moving the sight out, from right to left, looking down the slide from the rear, which is as far as I know the correct direction to push the sight out.

My sight pusher contacts the front sight, but it will not "reach" down into the front sight dovetail to contact the base of the sight. It will however just reach and contact the front sight blade, only. So my option currently to use my sight pusher is to push on the front sight blade, itself, above the sight body.

Is this advisable?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have a P365XL slide I want to change the front sight on, from Sig OEM to Ameriglo. I only change sights very infrequently, so my sight pusher is not very sophisticated, but I have had it for several years and it works fine for rear sight dovetails, on a very occasional basis.

I've secured the slide in a vise and tried a steel hammer and both brass and steel punches to move the sight in the dovetail, but it is held tight and will not move. I am moving the sight out, from right to left, looking down the slide from the rear, which is as far as I know the correct direction to push the sight out.

My sight pusher contacts the front sight, but it will not "reach" down into the front sight dovetail to contact the base of the sight. It will however just reach and contact the front sight blade, only. So my option currently to use my sight pusher is to push on the front sight blade, itself, above the sight body.

Is this advisable?
    I have broken front sights trying that. Make sure it is touching as close to the base as possible.

You may have to sand or file down the sight to fit your dovetail a little.

Doesn't the MGW pro effectively push on the blade, but with equal pressure from the base of the sight on up?

Of course gunsmiths need to eat too!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You’re moving the sight in the correct direction. And you should be fine using the technique you’re describing assuming you fit the sight to the dovetail adequately like mentioned. Factory production sights are generally fit pretty well out of the box IME. But I’ve bent more thin competition sights (Dawson’s specifically) than I can count pushing on them without fitting the sight base enough. Also, using a hammer and punch, you run the risk of breaking tritium viles, so a good sight pusher is definitely your best bet. I use the MGW pro George mentioned also.

Having moved several sig sights in the last 18 months, I am coming to believe there is some element of the front sight being press fit at the factory. S&W did this for a lot of their gen 3 front sights and it required caution and a little more work to get them out.

I say this because in most recent Sig cases something snapped or more or less popped like it was breaking, then the sight began to move under pressure. Using an MGW tool on this in my case. I strongly concur that the file fitting and full length top to bottom support of a front sight is essential not to wreck one and get sideways. I have ruined quite a few over the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Having moved several sig sights in the last 18 months, I am coming to believe there is some element of the front sight being press fit at the factory. S&W did this for a lot of their gen 3 front sights and it required caution and a little more work to get them out.

I say this because in most recent Sig cases something snapped or more or less popped like it was breaking, then the sight began to move under pressure. Using an MGW tool on this in my case. I strongly concur that the file fitting and full length top to bottom support of a front sight is essential not to wreck one and get sideways. I have ruined quite a few over the decades.
    Same.

I use MGW Sight Pro and Rangemaster models and have a similar experience.

Site Supporter
    I agree with others who recommend using the MGW tool and getting as low on the front sight as possible. I have not yet broken a sight using this tool in this manner, although pushing on the dovetail is preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

You can buy the NCStar/Vism front and rear sight pusher for less than $80. They make 2 models… rear only and front/rear, so make sure you get the right one.

Also, try putting a little penetrating lube like WD40 or Kroil on the base before trying to move it. I’d go with the lube/hammer/punch method before ordering the new sight tool. I’d avoid pushing on the blade if at all possible. You might break the blade off or bend it, causing the corners to bite into the slide, which would make removal even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Same.

I use MGW Sight Pro and Rangemaster models and have a similar experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    You can buy the NCStar/Vism front and rear sight pusher for less than $80. They make 2 models… rear only and front/rear, so make sure you get the right one.

Also, try putting a little penetrating lube like WD40 or Kroil on the base before trying to move it. I’d go with the lube/hammer/punch method before ordering the new sight tool. I’d avoid pushing on the blade if at all possible. You might break the blade off or bend it, causing the corners to bite into the slide, which would make removal even harder.
    I have replaced two P365 front sights and agree with heat and penetrating oil and hammer to get the factory sight out.

I have on occasion used a flat head screwdriver plus hammer to hit the base of the side of the front sight in the dovetail. Generally whatever the gun is supported with / against ideally needs to be solid to get transmission of the impact.

Got this knocked out this afternoon. I used my existing sight pusher, and padded the various pressure points with cut-up credit cards. The pusher block ended up almost exactly level with the slide, flat, and bore directly on the bottom-most area of the front sight.

The slide in question was purchased new by me from Proven Outfitters, last month, as part of an "X Change Kit" for making a P365 into a P365XL. As far as I know, the sight was installed by Sig. There was no trace of loctite in the sight dovetail, blue or red, at all. The pressure on my threaded tool (16 tpi) was similar if not exactly the same as a typical Glock rear. I applied a light bit of what I had for penetrating agent (WD-40) and let it marinate for 20 minutes before pushing. I am not sure it was necessary, but I did lock my pusher in my small 4" desk top vise.

The sight slid out with steady, even pressure on the screw. I incurred no damage to the sight nor slide.

Name:  IMG_1739 (1).jpg
Views: 784
Size:  35.4 KB

User Tag List