Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you push on a Sig Front Sight Blade?

slice of credit card was a nice hack, I will remember that one when using my "universal" version which presses on the sides of the slide

BTW, this is what I am putting on the XL slide, an Ameriglo SG-212-230-O, 0.230" height #6 front Sig sight. OEM Sig on left, Ameriglo on right.
    Name:  IMG_1740.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  97.1 KB

So I finally got this installed, but on my X slide (I ended up with an optic on the XL slide). Took an hour maybe. At first I over did the aluminum punch I ordered from Dawson, and had to dress the end with the file. I also made a couple nicks in the steel, so I dressed them up after with some cold blue. Turned out ok I think, the new sight feels about as tight as the one I pressed out, despite fitting it by hand.

Forgot the link last time:

https://ameriglo.com/products/details/sg-212-230-o

Name:  IMG_2198.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  89.6 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 03-18-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Range visit today with carry mags loaded with carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124+p). After 30 rounds, I noticed my groups were wayyy left. Looked at the slide and saw this. Oopsies.

I’ll knock it out and source some Loctite 262 and refit it this week.

Good example of why it’s important to shoot your carry gun from time to time. I literally pulled it out of my holster and started shooting.

Name:  BD325E58-8961-4A6F-ACB1-EB7A8AF1FE74.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  51.1 KB

I would not trust the loctite alone if it were me, I would also stake the thing. A spring loaded punch and stake the 4 corners around the blade so I had some dovetail deformation. I don't mind touching up the finish after I do that but some people get offended by the punch marks it seems.

My experience with the Sig's has had them move on me as well after a new sight in the front dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Range visit today with carry mags loaded with carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124+p). After 30 rounds, I noticed my groups were wayyy left. Looked at the slide and saw this. Oopsies.

I’ll knock it out and source some Loctite 262 and refit it this week.

Good example of why it’s important to shoot your carry gun from time to time. I literally pulled it out of my holster and started shooting.
    As an aside that’s why I like RDS as a redundant sighting system.

I have had a number of irons have issues as well as dots so I like having both as an internal check.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would not trust the loctite alone if it were me, I would also stake the thing. A spring loaded punch and stake the 4 corners around the blade so I had some dovetail deformation. I don't mind touching up the finish after I do that but some people get offended by the punch marks it seems.

My experience with the Sig's has had them move on me as well after a new sight in the front dovetail.
    Huh, I did not think of staking, that’s a good idea.

I did find some HD Loctite 271 in my toolbox. I looked up the cure time vs 262 (Dawson suggests using 262) and it is hard in like 15 mins, vs 180 for the 262. Even so, it still needs heat to release. I’m not sure I want it THAT permanent, so tonight I knocked the sight back in with some the generic blue I use for optic screws. I’ll let it cure and head back Tue to the range to shoot it again.

If I have more issues I’ll get the red, or stake the dovetail.

On one of my revolvers the front dovetail was oversized. The gunsmith who installed it dimpled the bottom of the sight to make it tighter in the dovetail then locktighted it. This was on a tritium sight.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Got another opportunity today to mount the identical part no. Ameriglo onto my spare XL slide.

Same toolset at last time; 800 grit paper, my Grobet #6 (which mainly I used to dress the punch, when it got peened) and elbow grease. Since I now had two take-off XRAY3's, I could not remember which one was on the XL slide, so I measured both. They were 0.055" and 0.052", top to bottom, on the right (insert) side of the flat. This new Ameriglo measured 0.054", and would not start easily. So I guessed it needed about 0.002" off, and got to sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding some more, fitting some more, rinse and repeat. After maybe 45" I was able to tap it home.

Got lucky on the last tap as it centered up perfectly, at least per my Harbor Freight calipers.

I cleaned up the marks I'd made with some Presto-Mag. I'm not sure if the cold blue solution is a solvent or it covered the bare steel; the coating is pretty tough and I was only using the Dawson punch. I'd guess a solvent? Anyway, I am no chemist, for sure, but I am happy how it turned out.

Name:  IMG_2556.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  103.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Huh, I did not think of staking, that’s a good idea.

I did find some HD Loctite 271 in my toolbox. I looked up the cure time vs 262 (Dawson suggests using 262) and it is hard in like 15 mins, vs 180 for the 262. Even so, it still needs heat to release. I’m not sure I want it THAT permanent, so tonight I knocked the sight back in with some the generic blue I use for optic screws. I’ll let it cure and head back Tue to the range to shoot it again.

If I have more issues I’ll get the red, or stake the dovetail.
    I forgot to post back on this; I had no issues shooting a couple mags of Speer GD 124+p at the range with the X, so I think that slide is good to go. I'll probably take both slides next time, I have new carry ammo this year (Federal 124 HST standard).

User Tag List