Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For you Dachshund lovers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I owned a Mal, loved him, no issues whatsoever. Way, way WAY smarter than a Dachshund.
    I haven’t spent much time around dachshunds, but the ones I have been around didn’t seem to have nearly the please the human drive a lot of breeds have. They were mostly interested in food and murdering small animals, which I reckon is what they were bred for.

As for stupid dogs, I don’t know if you’ve been around many Brittany Spaniels, but even even the best trained birders I’ve known wear all dumb as a bag of hammers.

Don't know it this qualifies as stupid.....ok it does.
    A friend of mine was having rooms painted in his house and put his Irish Setter in his large three car garage.
    Later in the day he goes out to let the dog in and discovered the dog had chewed all four corners of the plastic bumpers on his vintage Firebird.
    I never had the heart to ask what the outcome of that was.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I haven’t spent much time around dachshunds, but the ones I have been around didn’t seem to have nearly the please the human drive a lot of breeds have. They were mostly interested in food and murdering small animals, which I reckon is what they were bred for.

As for stupid dogs, I don’t know if you’ve been around many Brittany Spaniels, but even even the best trained birders I’ve known wear all dumb as a bag of hammers.
    Sister has a couple of Dachshunds, and they adore them. I could take one, but I’m probably not going to seek one out.

My experiences with Brittanys are a pair of sisters, Epagnuel Breton bloodlines. The younger is still here, the older is in an urn. Wouldn’t call them geniuses, but far from bags of hammers. Most easily trained, human focused and devoted dogs I’ve ever had.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Sister has a couple of Dachshunds, and they adore them. I could take one, but I’m probably not going to seek one out.

My experiences with Brittanys are a pair of sisters, Epagnuel Breton bloodlines. The younger is still here, the older is in an urn. Wouldn’t call them geniuses, but far from bags of hammers. Most easily trained, human focused and devoted dogs I’ve ever had.
    I grew up with a Brittany and me and a good friend found one wondering alone in the woods that his family adopted. I agree 100% on them being loving, loyal and human focused doggos.

Im seriously considering a Cocker Spaniel if I ever get another Dog. I used to watch one for family when they went out of town. That was a super obedient dog. I could walk her through downtown off leash.
    When we would come to a street corner Id check for cars when it was clear tell her to go and she’d dart across the road get to the sidewalk on the other side, turn around and sit waiting for me to cross. As far as I know she picked that up from just being with me, never previously trained to do that.
    I dont know if thats typical for that breed or not.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

We just took in a 13 year old dachshund. Name is rebel, was my wife's dog growing up. When she moved away, her grandfather took care of him. Well, pipaw is too old now so rebel hangs out by feet and gets all the treats. Low maintenance, loving to the kids, and snuggles my 11 year old German shepherd. Running an old dog home over here

I'm not sure what qualifies as smart or dumb. My mutt is small, doesn't attack or anything. He's not sure if he's supposed to catch the squirrel or if the squirrel is supposed to catch him. A few weeks ago we ran into a deer. Instead of trying to go after it he wanted nothing more than to graze beside it......I filmed it!! His demeanor was more....what's good here and less... I'm a carnivore hunter.

Anyway....not sure what they're supposed to do but this is the best dog I've ever had. Took one day to potty train. Quiet, calm, low maintenance. Doesn't ask for anything, doesn't bark or yep. 3x walk, 2x feed and I don't know how even exists. Doesn't bother anyone, doesn't ask for anything. I can point at something and give a simple command and he does it the first time as if he knew.

Laying beside me in my "office"

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I remember a little story from the course for the German hunting license.

We were taught about different hunting dog races, how they look, what they can do. Then came this picture of a dachshund. A soldier who also participated in the course, nice guy, said: "What kind of sausage is this?" The teacher, an experienced hunter who knew a lot about dogs, replied: Don't judge a book by the cover. They are brave. For example, they go into a badger's burrow and fight the badger. A badger has a big set of teeth and a very strong bite for its size. I understood that these little dogs deserve respect.

One thing I would like to note, having lived with a dachshund for the last fifteen years: people keep saying that they are yappy. Ours isn't, because ours was trained not to be that way. A lot of the negative behavior people associate with smaller dog breeds comes simply from the owners not treating their dogs as dogs and not training them properly.

And since we're sharing dog pictures, this is what a 15 years old weiner dog tends to look like during the winter...

Name:  IMG_20220420_190525.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  100.4 KB

I had a "full sized" Dachshund from the age of 4 to almost 9. For some reason his pic has disappeared from my hosting page...hmmm.
    He was one nasty little guy. I somehow managed to never get bit by Gus, my dad was bitten a bunch of times when he attempted to move Gus off his bed at night. Mom was bit a couple of times, and my sister got a couple of nips trying to keep him from helping her eat. She ate amazingly slowly and he would get frustrated and make moves on her plate. He had to be put down due to failing kidneys, he was only seven. We adopted him from a family who lost their house due to medical bills/bankrupcy, and they knew Gus would get a good home. Even as nasty as he tended to be, my parents were a mess after he was gone. Another reason to get him out of the house was I was really allergic to dogs, and my allergy doc told my parents that the dog needed to go. After he was gone, I had no improvement, and just before I turned 9, I ended up getting the runt of a large litter of Beagles. He wasn't a runt for long, he was the biggest Beagle I've ever seen, and while he never bit anyone, his attitude was not much better than Gus's was. He seemed to enjoy fighting with larger dogs, and his screaming meltdowns when he saw his arch enemy Robby, what would be called a Labradoodle today, are still talked about by my friends who saw them happen. He could really scream. Only pic left of him, the rest disappeared in 1982 when we moved, along with many more:

Name:  farfel.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  27.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

One thing I would like to note, having lived with a dachshund for the last fifteen years: people keep saying that they are yappy. Ours isn't, because ours was trained not to be that way. A lot of the negative behavior people associate with smaller dog breeds comes simply from the owners not treating their dogs as dogs and not training them properly.

And since we're sharing dog pictures, this is what a 15 years old weiner dog tends to look like during the winter...

Name:  IMG_20220420_190525.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  100.4 KB
    Heh. Give him a red coat and take off some years, and we have a very similar lump on the sofa. Is yours a standard size?

I agree with the training part. Ours has a tendency to announce every detected change or movement in the house or when loud college kids are outside, usually with low woofs and hound vowel-chewing. He will knock it off when told.
    We have had to work pretty diligently on leash reactivity due to some “training scars” he developed in formal obedience classes as a pup. He’s a bit soft when stressed, and I had to learn what that meant.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List