Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I just Herding Cats? …Technique & Accuracy Gremlins!

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    Is this the Training outfit you’re referencing? They do appear to have some good, informative content.
    https://tacticalperformancecenter.com/
    Yes. Here's a good older video from their YouTube channel:

My understanding is that Ken Nelson doesn't have a lot of grip strength so this approach to grip may work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yes, and I think you gave me some helpful feedback in an earlier thread. Without a tight grip I really struggle with accuracy, and a strong grip helps. But I need to shift away from that a bit and I have been focusing way more on my trigger press.

It still blows my mind though that you get good results with a fairly light grip on the gun. It tells me there is something I need to chase that is not just grip strength.
    I think some clarification of that might help.

I’m utilizing passive recoil control (angle of joints of shoulders, arms and wrists as well as aggressive grip texture) in order to not have to use active (muscle gripping) force for recoil control.

So think about a Quentin Tarantino scenario where you had a gun grafted to your limbs…

You can still influence your recoil control to a large degree even without active hand grip…

Those are the kinds of things that I like maximizing in order to keep my trigger finger loose and fluid.

@Robinson
    @Chomps

Here is a video for you guys. Work on your trigger press separate from your grip as well.

Build your grip around your trigger press.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Did you ever consider that the two might be related?

I use approximately the same grip pressure as I do shaking a 60 year old woman’s hand.

I’m not a crusher at all.

A super crusher can compensate for bad trigger presses.

But a good trigger press won’t need the compensation and a more flexible grip allows speed in the trigger finger.
    After 10+ years of trying to grip the gun as hard as I could and “fight” it, some friends that took a Pranka class and have been reading Stoegers stuff showed me this dumb idea of gripping less with my strong hand. And now I’ve learned my trigger press sucked all along. My dry-fire looks entirely differently now that I’m trying to just press the trigger fast without disturbing the sights.

Weird how all that matters is not moving the gun, the consistently recovering the sights to the same point instead of fighting to make it appear flat.

@Robinson
    @Chomps

Here is a video for you guys. Work on your trigger press separate from your grip as well.

That clip should prove really helpful in helping me diagnose my trigger press. When I get home from work tonight I’ll take a stab at doing a few dry fire presses like that and see how I do. @JCN, Thanks for taking the time!

@Robinson

Here’s what I mean about about passive recoil control.

Example of weak hand only.

Site Supporter
    @Robinson
    @Chomps

Yes. This is a video I needed to see.

It's similar to things taught at a class by jlw -- but it's been a challenge for me to really implement what was taught.

Thanks!

Yes. This is a video I needed to see.

It's similar to things taught at a class by jlw -- but it's been a challenge for me to really implement what was taught.

Thanks!
    Implementing it takes lots of perfect reps with hyper focused attention.

Dry fire is the key for this because there’s too much going on in live fire.

Do you use a red dot? Because that helped give me good real time feedback and my shooting improved a lot when I started working with dots in dry fire.

Site Supporter
    Implementing it takes lots of perfect reps with hyper focused attention.

Dry fire is the key for this because there’s too much going on in live fire.

Do you use a red dot? Because that helped give me good real time feedback and my shooting improved a lot when I started working with dots in dry fire.
    No I shoot irons. I can see that spending more time on dry fire practice will be essential to this effort as you say. I need to consider a good trigger press a fundamental skill and get to where that part of it is no longer a blocker to improvement so I can concentrate more on the big picture.

No I shoot irons. I can see that spending more time on dry fire practice will be essential to this effort as you say. I need to consider a good trigger press a fundamental skill and get to where that part of it is no longer a blocker to improvement so I can concentrate more on the big picture.
    Red dots are hugely beneficial training tools.

You can do it with irons, but you have to be SUPER critical and SUPER observant to notice small iron twitches.

It’s so worth it that I recommend people outfit a dry gun with a cheapo ebay knock off optic for $50 and a dovetail adapter for dry training.

User Tag List