Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack Disables Electrical Substation in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You guys are making me want to invest in that generator. We had a lot of outages in Hawaii but now that we have a toddler and my wife works from home, it feels way more inconvenient to lose power. I was considering it since we moved into hurricane country but had kind of dismissed it since all we got was some rain this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Lots of good options these days with dual fuel, remote control, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You guys are making me want to invest in that generator. We had a lot of outages in Hawaii but now that we have a toddler and my wife works from home, it feels way more inconvenient to lose power. I was considering it since we moved into hurricane country but had kind of dismissed it since all we got was some rain this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What @Tabasco said.

Also, what part of Eastern NC? Some areas are very prone to nasty flooding even though they're multiple hours from the coast.

Chris

@ $3.00 per gallon of propane locally, it's not cheap to run a whole house on a generator...but I'm sure it's nice to have. (And as I get older and wiser, I'll probably break down and get one at some point.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Also apparently attacks, or at least "vandalism", on multiple power stations in Oregon and Washington.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-in-november/
    Interesting that you mention that. Last night, FNC, had someone making the statement that there are nine major electrical distribution points that, if struck in the same manner as the ones in NC, would disable the entire national electrical service grid and plunge the US into darkness. I'm well outta my lane on this stuff, but if there is such centralization that would lend itself to widespread disruption under coordinated attack if the talking heads at FNC know about, then those intent on exploiting the vulnerability probably know about it, too.

It sounds like it might be time for our elected officials to seriously consider preventative measures and how resources will need to be deployed in the event of what seems to be inevitable.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Aren’t those transformers oil-cooled? Where did the oil go? And is it still PCB-based stuff?
    Watching the video there is a containment around the transformer. Typically the containments are sized 1 1/2 times (or greater) the volume of the oil in the transformer.

All the plants I have worked at have phased out PCB’s. However, it isn’t illegal to have a transformer that contains PCB’s but it does need to be clearly marked on the transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Interesting that you mention that. Last night, FNC, had someone making the statement that there are nine major electrical distribution points that, if struck in the same manner as the ones in NC, would disable the entire national electrical service grid and plunge the US into darkness. I'm well outta my lane on this stuff, but if there is such centralization that would lend itself to widespread disruption under coordinated attack if the talking heads at FNC know about, then those intent on exploiting the vulnerability probably know about it, too.

It sounds like it might be time for our elected officials to seriously consider preventative measures and how resources will need to be deployed in the event of what seems to be inevitable.
    I don't know what it means but, it raises an eyebrow. I don't know at what frequency these things occur and if this is outside of the normal rate, or if it's merely a function of increased reporting creating an inaccurate perception. That said, being that it's across multiple states, multiple substations, and with the FBI apparently putting out a notice warning about the potential for more of it, certainly sounds like it might be coordinated.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I don't know what it means but, it raises an eyebrow. I don't know at what frequency these things occur and if this is outside of the normal rate, or if it's merely a function of increased reporting creating an inaccurate perception. That said, being that it's across multiple states, multiple substations, and with the FBI apparently putting out a notice warning about the potential for more of it, certainly sounds like it might be coordinated.
    It'll be solved. My belief is that if more than four people are involved in anything criminal, one's an informant. Even if they didn't start out that way, a sense of self-preservation kicks in and they make the call.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It'll be solved. My belief is that if more than four people are involved in anything criminal, one's an informant. Even if they didn't start out that way, a sense of self-preservation kicks in and they make the call.
    Suddenly, I saw Poirot while reading Stephanie's reply.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Well, supplemental generators in my part of the country are up 'n runnin' at full capacity...

''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

As a former combat engineer, I've always thought the power grid would be low hanging fruit WRT sabotage, but I was thinking of more sophisticated methodology than just shooting transformers. I'm in a semi rural area outside the third largest city in NC and ice storms and hurricanes take out our power at least once a year. We're on well and septic so no power, no water. I've wanted to invest in a whole house generator for a while but until this episode in Moore County my wife thought it wasn't really necessary. But she also poopooed my reloading until 9/11, then she started asking what I had in the arsenal.

User Tag List