Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack Disables Electrical Substation in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    The only regret I have regarding my generac is not buying it twenty years sooner
    Do you mind saying more about your particular choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My belief is that if more than four people are involved in anything criminal, one's an informant. Even if they didn't start out that way, a sense of self-preservation kicks in and they make the call.
    This cracked me up, because it’s so true.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

During Ian, I was without power for 3.5 days. My A-iPower 8200W / 10000W was able to power everything via a transfer switch (to include well, fridge,etc) except for the central air. I used portable ACs for that.

1. I had to periodically tune the generator's governor. This controls the frequency of electricity coming out. Most appliances esp computers need as close to 120HZ as possible. I used Kill-a-wat plugged into the generator to help me tune it. If the frequency was way off, my UPS wouldn't recognize the power and run off of battery.

2. It took approximately 9 - 10 gallons / 24 hours. I started with ethanol free and finished up with regular 89 gas.

3. You can get a larger 13/15k generator that will be able to handle central ACs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    During Ian, I was without power for 3.5 days. My A-iPower 8200W / 10000W was able to power everything via a transfer switch (to include well, fridge,etc) except for the central air. I used portable ACs for that.

1. I had to periodically tune the generator's governor. This controls the frequency of electricity coming out. Most appliances esp computers need as close to 120HZ as possible. I used Kill-a-wat plugged into the generator to help me tune it. If the frequency was way off, my UPS wouldn't recognize the power and run off of battery.

2. It took approximately 9 - 10 gallons / 24 hours. I started with ethanol free and finished up with regular 89 gas.

3. You can get a larger 13/15k generator that will be able to handle central ACs.
    Yes, but you will be ripping through fuel even when the AC is not running. Smaller genny with window unit(s) is the way (in my opinion). And it's not even about the cost of fuel (though that could wind up being significant); it's about getting enough gas to keep the genny running when supplies/access will likely be problematic. And then there is the issue of dealing with all the gas cans one would need.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Yes, but you will be ripping through fuel even when the AC is not running. Smaller genny with window unit(s) is the way (in my opinion). And it's not even about the cost of fuel (though that could wind up being significant); it's about getting enough gas to keep the genny running when supplies/access will likely be problematic. And then there is the issue of dealing with all the gas cans one would need.
    Yeah, a couple built a house next to my parents house and put in a propane-powered large generator system that was powerful enough to do full air conditioning, etc.

During our last hurricane the power went out. Their generator started up and ran the whole house. It was out of fuel in less than a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Do you mind saying more about your particular choice?

This cracked me up, because it’s so true.
    Generac was readily available at the time, and I had great confidence in the vendor. I'm only screwed if the "terrorists" take out the power grid and natural gas pipelines sat the same time

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, a couple built a house next to my parents house and put in a propane-powered large generator system that was powerful enough to do full air conditioning, etc.

During our last hurricane the power went out. Their generator started up and ran the whole house. It was out of fuel in less than a day.
    I have 500 gallon propane in-ground. I think that would run about a week if running most all the time for a whole home setup.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"...My A-iPower 8200W / 10000W was able to power everything ... It took approximately 9 - 10 gallons / 24 hours."

My 2 cents: There is absolutely nothing wrong with a whole house generator. If you need AC, they are the bomb. But a 2000W inverter generator is the J frame of generators. Just as having a J frame is waaaay better than no gun, having a small generator is way better than having no generator.

We had a week long outage a few years ago, in sub freezing weather. Neighbors were really hurting ... houses getting close to freezing, no way to cook, etc.

We used our 2000W inverter generator a few hours a day, with extension cords, to A)run the (nat gas) furnace blower, B)the fridge, and C)charge half the neighborhood's cell phones. We set up the coleman stove on the deck and did spaghetti feeds for the neighborhood. We could carry the generator to neighbors so they could run their furnace for a couple of hours.

We kept the house warmish (i.e. heat to 65, turn off genny until it dropped to 55) on about 2 quarts of gas a day. That means a 5 gallon can lasts 10 days - no trying to find a working gas station.

Again, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with whole house, but a small generator today beats a big one later, or none at all. The Harbor freight ones have gone up a lot - $550 right now - and the Honda's are $1200.

===========

I would add that a solar system that would kinda sorta run a fridge and furnace is could also be had for $1200ish, although for that price you might run out in you get several days of storm, which is unfortunately when the power is most likely to go out. OTOH, it will run indefinitely.

===========

ETA: wells are another great reason for a big generator ... not having water sux.
    Last edited by whomever; 12-10-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    If it’s that easy and our enemies haven’t done it that leads me to the following conclusions:

1) They don’t actually want to hurt us.

Or

2) They have much less resources than I have Ben led to believe.

Or

3) The FBI and intelligence community is REALLY good at stopping these attacks.

Or

4) Our enemies are just stupid.

I have no idea which is true but I find it interesting to think about.
    Immediately after 9/11 I envisioned multiple teams of 3 men armed with cheap thumbhole AKs and a sack of magazines hitting a big mall food court at noon on Black Friday.
    A half dozen such teams spread across middle America could have brought our economy to a halt and killed hundreds for the outlay of a few grand.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Immediately after 9/11 I envisioned multiple teams of 3 men armed with cheap thumbhole AKs and a sack of magazines hitting a big mall food court at noon on Black Friday.
    A half dozen such teams spread across middle America could have brought our economy to a halt and killed hundreds for the outlay of a few grand.
    I have often thought that there was a window back at this time in 2001 where the terror payback would have been extremely high for a very small investment in Jihadi lives. But the fact that none of it happened tells me a lot about how shallow their pool of useful idiots who can actually function and move about and carry something off in our society really was. I think they peaked on 9/11 and pretty much spent nearly everybody they really had. Although terribly effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

How large was their tank? I’m looking at a whole house propane powered generator.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List