Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack Disables Electrical Substation in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    you forgot...

5) they're waiting for the opportune moment, since they figure crashing the system hard will result in some serious backlash in terms of making it more robust.
    If you got potentially only one of some Big Weapon, wait to deploy it until it can do the maximum amount of damage to your enemy.
    Whoa baby, we have some serious domestic terrorism threats front and center here. J6 style shit. I'm not here to say it won't happen.

I see my local water dept. clearing their sites and building 8' fences to keep the occasional trespasser out.

Power seems to be at risk now. The sub station nearest me is totally unprotected.

We have enough problems with the weather.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

So...heavy rain all day yesterday, high winds today. A random tree falls down this morning just before 1000 and my hood happens to at the southern end of a small, isolated area (263 customers according to the outage map) without power. According to Duke Energy, we should be back up by 2200 tomorrow. WTF. It's 10 degrees outside, 58 in the house, and 60 in my sealed crawlspace. I'm not much on new years resolutions, but by God, next year I resolve to by an f'ing generator.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    So...heavy rain all day yesterday, high winds today. A random tree falls down this morning just before 1000 and my hood happens to at the southern end of a small, isolated area (263 customers according to the outage map) without power. According to Duke Energy, we should be back up by 2200 tomorrow. WTF. It's 10 degrees outside, 58 in the house, and 60 in my sealed crawlspace. I'm not much on new years resolutions, but by God, next year I resolve to by an f'ing generator.
    I have never done it but I saw a video on YouTube that showed you could use an inverter to run your heat temporarily for short periods of time off you vehicle battery. Just a heads up for those in need.

https://youtu.be/kkyPBAz0mLw

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    you know, I need to finish fleshing out an idea to buy a 48v 100Ah (5120W rated) battery pack (rack mount style) and smallish 2000W 120v inverter, just to be able to power up the furnace and some critical loads, and not have to run the generator all the time. Then when the battery is low, kick on the generator and have it charge the battery back up. With any luck hopefully I'd be able to power the furnace for an entire night.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

you know, I need to finish fleshing out an idea to buy a 48v 100Ah (5120W rated) battery pack (rack mount style) and smallish 2000W 120v inverter, just to be able to power up the furnace and some critical loads, and not have to run the generator all the time. Then when the battery is low, kick on the generator and have it charge the battery back up. With any luck hopefully I'd be able to power the furnace for an entire night.
    Curious where you wind up if you don’t mind posting when you finish. It’s not a requirement here but would be a solid nice-to-have.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    Curious where you wind up if you don’t mind posting when you finish. It’s not a requirement here but would be a solid nice-to-have.
    Same - I need to figure out backup options. We have electric heat, but also a LP fireplace that can take a blower. I want to get a transfer switch installed and also have a Generac sales appointment. My concern is that being on LP a whole house generator gives me finite runtime. This may end up being a layered approach.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifep...ery-48v-100ah/
    that battery pack.

and some for of 120V or split phase 240v inverter that can take AC input as well. So I can basically plumb it in-line with the power feed from the panel to the HVAC, let it charge the batteries from AC (or solar if I put a couple panels outside).

the battery pack is chosen because I plan on having lots of them (10-20 potentially) at the new house in a couple years, and would like to not waste that portion of any investment I make right now.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

There was another series of attacks this morning that took out three small substations in WA. Only 7k lost power but it’s an interesting development.

Coincidence? Copycats? Continual probing from some bigger actors?

In all three attacks this morning nothing was taken but equipment was vandalized and destroyed.

Power was quickly restored to the majority of the residents.

I'm gonna say the quiet part out loud, because it needs to be said.

you know, if someone got smart and combined such mischief with say, a major weather event like a bomb cyclone or something, they could put a lot of hurt on a lot of people with little effort. winter is a far far worse time to do such a thing than the summer. the cold is bad for equipment, and even worse for people.

I hope everyone is keeping their provisions up and their preparations in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    There was another series of attacks this morning that took out three small substations in WA. Only 7k lost power but it’s an interesting development.

Coincidence? Copycats? Continual probing from some bigger actors?

In all three attacks this morning nothing was taken but equipment was vandalized and destroyed.

Power was quickly restored to the majority of the residents.
    Probably not this pair, but lots of tampering with important things in that vicinity.
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr...ailroad-tracks

Also this - https://mynorthwest.com/3128303/fede...er-derailment/

User Tag List