Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack Disables Electrical Substation in North Carolina

Also apparently attacks, or at least "vandalism", on multiple power stations in Oregon and Washington.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-in-november/

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    One good thing is that most of the folks in that area are fairly self sufficient. They knocked out basically that whole county, but the total population is less than a quarter of the population in the five largest cities in the state. Most of which would be Thunderdome within 24 hours of a total blackout.

I always thought the same until I lived through the 2003 blackout and Hurricane Sandy in NYC. Maybe that's just NYC (there are some pertinent points about mixed demographic neighborhoods), maybe I was just lucky, maybe things are different now. But it's a data point.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Power outage. No big deal. We heat and cook with propane. Light, that's just a battery powered lantern until daylight. PIA, yeah sure, you betcha, but the freezer stays cold with an old Honda generator.

We don't have a land line or internet at the house but we can live awhile without that. My cell phone works a mile down the road. We just went without power for 3 days a few weeks ago. That's the longest it's been down in 5 years.

I forgot hot showers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I always thought the same until I lived through the 2003 blackout and Hurricane Sandy in NYC. Maybe that's just NYC (there are some pertinent points about mixed demographic neighborhoods), maybe I was just lucky, maybe things are different now. But it's a data point.
    1977 blackout in NYC saw widespread looting and other forms of idiocy. Looting is routinely a problem post hurricane through out large parts of the south. Sans additional hardship, a total blackout in my city for four days would, in my mind and experience with the population, result in plenty of sportiness.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We prepare for such hardships in Transylvania County by having the electric go out on a regular basis.

(Which is the only time I ever get to say that I'm glad the house has propane fireplaces.)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Generac. (One of these days when I find the time to get off my ass.)
    Yeah, my friend Marko lives on a gravel road in the middle of the woods in New Hampshire, way out past where Jesus left his sandals and the buses don't run. Needless to say, any weather event capable of bringing down a tree seemed to unfailingly drop that tree across the power lines someplace between their house and civilization. A half-day or day without power was an event that happened two or three times a year. One of the first things he did when he started making decent author money was install a whole-house generator. Apparently you only notice power outages there now when the flicker of the lights lets you know it's kicked over to the genset.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, my friend Marko lives on a gravel road in the middle of the woods in New Hampshire, way out past where Jesus left his sandals and the buses don't run. Needless to say, any weather event capable of bringing down a tree seemed to unfailingly drop that tree across the power lines someplace between their house and civilization. A half-day or day without power was an event that happened two or three times a year. One of the first things he did when he started making decent author money was install a whole-house generator. Apparently you only notice power outages there now when the flicker of the lights lets you know it's kicked over to the genset.
    ... I'm stealing that.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

1977 blackout in NYC saw widespread looting and other forms of idiocy. Looting is routinely a problem post hurricane through out large parts of the south. Sans additional hardship, a total blackout in my city for four days would, in my mind and experience with the population, result in plenty of sportiness.
    Oh, it was a fine time in NYC in 1977. We had Son of Sam and the blackout to contend with. A glorious time to experience all that the city had to offer.

ETA: The Yankees won their first World Series since the early 60's in 1977...so there was that. And it was also the year I began working for Uncle. So, mixed results overall.
    Last edited by blues; 12-09-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ... Apparently you only notice power outages there now when the flicker of the lights lets you know it's kicked over to the genset.
    Can confirm. I live in the (depending on who you listen to) the fourth largest city in NC, which is rapidly becoming a large metro area. My neighborhood is full of oak grees that are coming to the end of their life. With the inevitable ice storm or three and violent thunderstorms, we lose power three to four times a year. It boggles my mind our infrastructure is so weak. We have lost power for up to five days at a time. I will never be without a whole house genset again.

Can confirm. I live in the (depending on who you listen to) the fourth largest city in NC, which is rapidly becoming a large metro area. My neighborhood is full of oak grees that are coming to the end of their life. With the inevitable ice storm or three and violent thunderstorms, we lose power three to four times a year. It boggles my mind our infrastructure is so weak. We have lost power for up to five days at a time. I will never be without a whole house genset again.
    W, you'll get a kick out of my place when you have a chance to drop by one of these days. Trees? Nothin' but.

I don't wanna talk about it. LOL.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

You guys are making me want to invest in that generator. We had a lot of outages in Hawaii but now that we have a toddler and my wife works from home, it feels way more inconvenient to lose power. I was considering it since we moved into hurricane country but had kind of dismissed it since all we got was some rain this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List