Thread: 1911s That aren't 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    … what is a 1911 pistol?
    JRB pretty much nailed it in post #13.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Christ on a cracker.....

Okay, $2 PF dollars for you. I lol’d when I read that because I always picture Jesus on a Saltine.

Site Supporter
    I consider my SIG P938 a 1911 that’s not a 1911. Or really any of SIGs unique adaptations of the 1911 design (non-traditional square slides). WC EDC lines are 1911s that arent. My M&P with a thumb safety pretends to be a 2011!

… mines either with angel wings in the front row of a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert or in a tuxedo T-shirt cause I like to party!…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Greetings gun guys, I'm looking to see what you guys think of guns described as 1911s, but really aren't 1911s. To me a 1911 is .45 caliber with a 5" barrel that looks and functions like John Browning's original design. Nearly every gun manufacturer makes at least one model. I regularly see 9mms advertised as 1911s. they look similar to a "real" 1911 and have the same features and controls, but I don't think such guns should be called 1911s. I can accept the description 9mm styled after the 1911, or maybe 9mm of 1911 design, or 9mm designed after the 1911.

I own a Colt/ Walther .22 auto designed much like a 1911. The gun is cool as ever, but it's certainly not a 1911. The stamp on its slide says: "Colt's Government Model Cal. .22 Long Rifle". This gun should never be called a 1911. It is a .22 that looks and functions much like a 1911. It does have a 5" barrel.

We would never call a four cylinder kit car that looks like a Ferrari a Ferrari! Why would we call a gun a 1911 when it isn't?

Do you guys relate to my thinking on this?

I don't yet own a "real" 1911, but it's certainly on my list of guns to own!
    No. Not at all. It’s a pointless affectation, and the time wasted on things like this is better spent dryfiring.

Successful, gun designs generally become a pattern or general type. This is seen with S&W DA revolvers, the Browning Hi Power, Beretta 92s and most recently Glocks. Now that Glocks have gone off patent you can build a Glock pattern pistol with zero Glock factory parts in it.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-06-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Unless you’re extremely lucky, Llama pistols are very much dramatic.

I do want a 6” .357 Comanche though. My grandfather had one and I didn’t know until he passed in 2014 that it actually belonged to my great uncle. My grandfather had borrowed it shortly before my great uncle passed away in 1986 so it went to my cousins when things were distributed.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The kit car Ferrari comparison doesn't really work.
    Something like a Ford Model A would be a better metaphor. If someone takes a Model A, chops the body, lowers the front end, adds a Corvette engine & transmission, and builds a custom interior- is it still a Model A? Yes it is.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Vending Machine Operator
    For me it's simply a nomenclature of general type.

The British Challenger 3 Main Battle Tank upcoming into service for the British Army will mount an L/55 120mm smoothbore gun.
    The British Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank currently in service mounts an L30A1 120mm rifled gun.
    They are both Main Battle Tanks. They are both Challenger-series Main Battle Tanks. Even with entirely different guns that use different ammo.

Similarly, the HK P30 comes in 9mm and .40 and is still an HK P30 either way.

I think it's fair to personally consider the .45 Auto 1911 the "truest interpretation" of a 1911, I probably agree with that, but a 9mm 1911 is still a 1911. If each small permutation requires its own category, conversation would become even me exhaustively specific than it already is.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Attachment 98114

When I bought a 1911 recently, you can bet it was a Government length in American Communist Perforator. No steenking 9mm for me, that’s for sure.

OP - Kidding, it’s all good. As the guys said much better than me, a 1911 encompasses the mechanics of the JMB design, not necessarily the caliber length etc.
    https://youtu.be/FAx-cVxeRbM?t=133
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Lots of BJJ guys wind up in the same nomenclature type purse fights too. Some guys will only refer to a technique in Japanese, others will only ever say "strangle" instead of "choke" and the guys who do catch wrestling love to jump in with a "well ACKSHUALLY!" when someone calls a double wristlock a Kimura.

It literally doesn't matter. A rose by any other name y'all.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

To be pedantic, it's only a 1911 if it's from the Connecticut region. Otherwise, it's just:

Name:  holiday-jam.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  40.9 KB

:-P
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List