Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911s That aren't 1911s

Site Supporter

1911s That aren't 1911s

Greetings gun guys, I'm looking to see what you guys think of guns described as 1911s, but really aren't 1911s. To me a 1911 is .45 caliber with a 5" barrel that looks and functions like John Browning's original design. Nearly every gun manufacturer makes at least one model. I regularly see 9mms advertised as 1911s. they look similar to a "real" 1911 and have the same features and controls, but I don't think such guns should be called 1911s. I can accept the description 9mm styled after the 1911, or maybe 9mm of 1911 design, or 9mm designed after the 1911.

I own a Colt/ Walther .22 auto designed much like a 1911. The gun is cool as ever, but it's certainly not a 1911. The stamp on its slide says: "Colt's Government Model Cal. .22 Long Rifle". This gun should never be called a 1911. It is a .22 that looks and functions much like a 1911. It does have a 5" barrel.

We would never call a four cylinder kit car that looks like a Ferrari a Ferrari! Why would we call a gun a 1911 when it isn't?

Do you guys relate to my thinking on this?

I don't yet own a "real" 1911, but it's certainly on my list of guns to own!

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I can accept the description 9mm styled after the 1911, or maybe 9mm of 1911 design, or 9mm designed after the 1911.
    Right, and then we can shorten those descriptions to "1911" for the sake of convenience.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Nope.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I agree, philosophically; and to a real student of the type, "1911" means only a military sidearm as produced 1911-1925.
    If Grandpa bought a .45 at the hardware store in those days, it was a Government Model.

But, the English language, especially Internet English, is subject to constant evolution and it looks like "1911" for anything vaguely related to that original pistol is a viable mutation.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

We would never call a four cylinder kit car that looks like a Ferrari a Ferrari! Why would we call a gun a 1911 when it isn't?
    Because a 4" 1911 is still a 1911 using the same operating mechanism as a 5" 1911. A 9mm 1911 is still a 1911, using the same operating mechanism, just a different caliber.

A 4 cylinder kit car that looks like a Ferrari is not a Ferrari because it's not using the same operating systems/mechanicals as a Ferrari. An Officer's model is just a variation of a 1911, and a 9mm 1911 is still a 1911 just in a slightly smaller caliber, just as there's several variations among Ferraris.

No. This is one of the more dumb things I've ever heard on the internet.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I surely don't.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

@Danko

You’re new to guns. I get wanting to be a “purist” but it’s possible to go past purist and into “pedantic.”

Would you call a Porsche Cayenne a Porsche? It’s not a 911 but it’s still a Porsche.

What about a 911 4S Cabrio? It’s an abomination of a 911, but it’s still a 911 even though it’s not as the original 911 was designed.

Doesn’t matter to me what it’s called.

I have 45 ACP traditional 1911s, Kimber Micro 380 1911 style, 9mm full size, 1911 double stacks and even a Coonan 1911 that is chambered in 357 Magnum.

They’re all in the same-ish group.

I don’t care if people call Puffs, “Kleenex” either.

How about this:

Wilson Combat still considered their double stack, no grip safety EDC X9 as a 1911 and they’re not full of shit.

The .38 Super was specifically designed for the 1911 in the late 20's, and I'm 99% sure the first Colt Commander in the late 40's was in 9mm.

They're all 1911's.

We don’t need a puritanical thread about nomenclatures; already have one for ammo.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Anything other than .45 just ain't right. TAIN'T RAGHT AH SAY! Except 10mm obviously.

That said, if I got the urge for another it'd probably be a 9mm DW Guardian. Complete with aluminum frame and 4.25" barrel. :shrug:

User Tag List