Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Army replacing UH-60 Blackhawk w/ tilt rotor

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    From what I've read, compared versus the Osprey, lower per unit cost, easier maintenance, longer range, lower weight, and a slightly smaller footprint.
    It took multiple years to get the kinks out of the Osprey. I suspect this aircraft, the 280, will have its share of developmental challenges too. I don't think this acquisition has a high probability of success.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    It took multiple years to get the kinks out of the Osprey. I suspect this aircraft, the 280, will have its share of developmental challenges too. I don't think this acquisition has a high probability of success.
    Entirely possible it has significant challenges, maybe even likely. Then again, the Valor has a couple decades plus of learning from the Osprey. The Osprey was an unprecedented production aircraft (give or take prototype tilt rotors going back a ways). The Valor isn't because the Osprey already broke the trail.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I suspect there will be some issues, but the flight control software and the training programs that were at the heart of most of the Osprey’s issues I feel are pretty well solved. At least I hope so.

Ok, correct me if I’m wrong, but because the whole engine pod rotates with the tilt rotor system on the Osprey, it angles the exhaust at the ground. And tends to light the LZ on fire. Bad juju when you are trying to land there. So the new design splits the power pod, keeps the exhaust horizontal, and mitigates this problem.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Army Aviation is trying to figure out how they'd play in the Pacific. Much longer ranges.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Ok, correct me if I’m wrong, but because the whole engine pod rotates with the tilt rotor system on the Osprey, it angles the exhaust at the ground. And tends to light the LZ on fire. Bad juju when you are trying to land there. So the new design splits the power pod, keeps the exhaust horizontal, and mitigates this problem.
    Ospreys also tended to melt the decks of amphibs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Ospreys also tended to melt the decks of amphibs.
    And asphalt. And the Helicopter Support Teams that are underneath it hooking up external loads when it’s hovering. All our commonly used LZs are now brown spots of dead grass and then dirt.

Even more humorously, when they have an abnormal start, the fuel control aborts the start, dumps fuel which runs down the exhaust due to gravity (nascelle is vertical at this point) onto hot ceramic plates. Which ignites the fuel, creating a fire. Which burns back up the engine cowlings because that’s how fire works. Now you have a nascelle fire! I’ve done five mishap investigations on these now.

See why I shit on V-22s just a little? Crackpipe stuff, sometimes.

User Tag List