Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army replacing UH-60 Blackhawk w/ tilt rotor

Army replacing UH-60 Blackhawk w/ tilt rotor

https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tact...k-replacement/

The Army has officially selected the Bell’s V-280 Valor tiltrotor aircraft to replace the beloved UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter that has ferried soldiers into combat for the last half-century.

The V-280 Valor beat out the Sikorsky-Boeing SB-1 Defiant compound coaxial helicopter to win the service’s years-long Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft (FLRAA) competition, the service announced on Monday.

Name:  Bell-V-280-Valor_resized.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  47.3 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I wonder if I’ll live long enough to see these replace the Black Hawks I see every day?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A few years back, took a road trip and ended up one leg spending the night in Amarillo. Next morning on a whim we swung by the air museum. It's right next to the Bell Textron plant at the airport. Museum docent let us know that if we hung around we'd see something special 😀 Bell was conducting VIP demo flights of the Valor prototype mid-day. Watched it buzzing around the field for about an hour. Very cool and similar but different then the Ospreys you see buzzing around Albuquerque all the time. Looks like I lost the photos when that phone died . I'll have to check if my wife still has some photos to share.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

1) What kind of pilot flies that thing? A helicopter pilot? A fixed wing pilot?
    2) How do you train a pilot to fly that thing? You choose a helicopter pilot or fixed wing pilot or de novo person?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I think GJM already has a matching set of them in at least 3 different calibers.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Hopefully its deployment goes better than the crashhawk.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    2) How do you train a pilot to fly that thing? You choose a helicopter pilot or fixed wing pilot or de novo person?
    I don't think finding/training pilots will be a problem. I'm concerned with how they're going to find folks to wrench on them for E3 money. The Army's already having problems meeting enlistment goals.

I'm surprised it's not battery powered.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

What do you want to bet that development and acquisition don’t go as planned, and they end up buying both down the road. The coaxial design has a lot of advantages when doing vertical helicopter stuff. The tilt rotor has advantages when doing horizontal airplane stuff.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "the beloved UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter that has ferried soldiers into combat for the last half-century."

Oh, god, I was not ready to hear the Blackhawk referred to like that. I feel like we just stopped calling it the Crashhawk, like, five minutes ago. You know, around the late Eighties...

*wanders off to yell at clouds*
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List