Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new Phoenix Drake. Will this be the most accurate semi auto pistol?

Congrats!

Very interested in the accuracy you can get out of it. Keep us posted. Have fun and best of luck!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    My excitement and expectation of this pistol is solely based on what I know about the company and my experience with the Redback and even the Fusion. Both models are outstanding shooters and my two all steel Redbacks are honestly two of the best shooting pistols I own. I have some that can match them, but none that outperform them, especially my SAO Redback. The trigger on that model is as good as it gets. The Drake’s trigger has the same feel and is about a quarter pound lighter than the Redback’s trigger on average, with a pull weight under 2lbs. Other than the weight, the feel of the trigger is second to none, including all my top 2011’s. There is simply no creep whatsoever.

The reason I feel it could be the most accurate pistol is because Phoenix went to great lengths to develop the spherical bushing to enhance accuracy. They initially used a Briley bushing during Drake development, but through extensive testing, realized they only last about 15,000 rounds. If this bushing works like its supposed to, the gun should be more inherently accurate than the Redback, which has no bushing. I’ve known the Redback to be as accurate as any pistol I own and I’m quite confident in knowing I have example(s) of all the world’s most accurate semi autos. Its pure theory at this point and will never be easy to prove, but the Drake could very well be my most inherently accurate pistol. Its incredible trigger, awesome ergonomics and adjustable gas pedal will help shooters get the most out of that inherent accuracy too.
    Please educate me on mechanical precision, Brian. (I assume that that is at issue in your hypothesis.)

A differentially bored forward slide opening has one radial set of clearances with respect to the outer surface of the barrel; and likewise for their wear points. A conventional, M1911 type bushing doubles these numbers by adding extra clearances between it and the slide, whereas a spherical bushing triples them. How is the ensuing extra play and accelerated wear supposed to improve mechanical precision of the pistol?
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

When I hear someone is making a “competition version” of something I automatically prepare to cringe at a bunch of transformer milling and windows inexplicably cut into the slide. Phoenix didn’t do that here at all. Everything is done thoughtfully and form follows function, but in a way that results in a very clean, business like aesthetic. Very nice pistol, thanks for sharing!

Any updates on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Any updates on this one?
    No I haven’t shot it yet. Weather has been brutal.

Hoping next week

User Tag List