Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Forestry Service buying Ford Lightning pickups

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post

I'm down with using EVs where they can be safe and effective, and end users have to get their hands on the gear and wring it out. But with a 2027 deadline the tech and infrastructure won't be ready to support use in all conditions.
    I'm told all I need about the feasibility of their deadline given the fact EVs still aren't in widespread use in the roles they make the most sense and have the best bang for the buck such as public transit, school buses, trash trucks, etc. Those uses have the highest gain for the lowest cost, their use schedules are generally amenable to EVs, and they are the easiest to implement from an infrastructure perspective given their centralized storage and service locations.

I'd actually really like to see EVs in these roles.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm told all I need about the feasibility of their deadline given the fact EVs still aren't in widespread use in the roles they make the most sense and have the best bang for the buck such as public transit, school buses, trash trucks, etc. Those uses have the highest gain for the lowest cost, their use schedules are generally amenable to EVs, and they are the easiest to implement from an infrastructure perspective given their centralized storage and service locations.

I'd actually really like to see EVs in these roles.
    Yup and folks have no idea how much time Park Service employees spend driving around doing mundane stuff.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast17 View Post
    On the upside, the truck name opens up all sorts of creative naming opportunities for the first EV forest fire.
    The "Conflagration Reduction Act Fire" would be a good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    The "Conflagration Reduction Act Fire" would be a good candidate.
    Combustion Reduction Act Pyre seems appropriate
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Name:  FEC16B34-50E1-4B4C-A1CE-D7DCFF6D58D9.jpeg
Views: 536
Size:  30.2 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Who's getting the tow-truck concession for these?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

1,200 miles on a Ford Lightning now, operated this summer in Montana. 85 mph on the highway (love MT highway speed limits), dirt roads, and maneuvering on dirt and hills at the range.

First the bad, the Lightning shows a range of 320 miles +/- fully charged, but the real range in our conditions is about 230 miles. We don't have a dedicated charging plug here yet, and charging on 110 is slow.

Now the good. The Lightning is crazy fun to drive. Faster than a 150 Raptor, and the full time AWD and low CG, make it corner like a sedan. So far, nothing has broken. Pretty quiet, although some wind noise at 80+ on the highway. The frunk is a hoot and increases the utility of the truck. Supposedly they are great traction wise in the snow.

Haven't towed with it or run it in the cold yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Our friend bought one and he loves it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Name:  IMG_6599.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  65.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hmmm. I wonder if Ford will sponsor one in the Baja 500. Charging stop should be interesting. Maybe faster to just pop a new battery in.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List