Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the heimlich one handed today

In the 90s at Ft. Sill OSUT we had a Drill Sgt that would randomly pull privates out of the chow hall line and thrash the shit out of them under the guise of doing the heimlich maneuver. It was both hilarious and frightening. [emoji1]

Way to go, brother.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    You legit saved a life.
    This.

Well done.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Both my wife and I , on separate occasions, have had to perform the heimlich to save our own small children. It work’s incredibly well. It’s much more useful than a lot of people give it credit for.

Site Supporter
    Right on. Good job readjusting and getting it done.

Getting that kid up on their toes, you were driving it.

My mother saved my life using the Heimlich maneuver when I was a toddler, even though she'd only heard it described over the phone earlier that week during a chat with one of her sisters. I have no memory of it at all, however.

Great work, Teach!

Site Supporter
    Fuck yeah! Good work man!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I've posted here before that I had finger surgery recently. I'm currently still recovering and have too wear a splint 247, effectively making my right hand useless.

With background out of the way, I was teaching Math today to my fourth graders and gave them a bathroom break before we started a group activity. About 10 seconds later a few of my students ran in and started screaming that someone needed my help. When I say screaming, I don't mean typical kid yelling, but fear in their voice and their eyes wide with fear. I sprinted out of my classroom thinking it was a fight or a teacher was hurt, I was greeted by a group of 5th graders staring at me, the fifth grade teachers who were trying to assist a student, and a student turning purple. The fifth grade teachers quickly explained that he was choking and their attempts at the heimlich had not worked (he is a big fifth grader, guessing 150ish and the teachers are about his height and weigh less.) I had taught him last year so I quickly told him it was gonna be okay and that I was there. He was at the point where I could tell he was about to panic and I needed him to stay as calm as possible so I told him to just listen to my voice. I have absolutely no idea what I said because at the same time that I started talking to him so he wouldn't go into shock (hopefully) I realized I only had one usable hand. So I adjusted my hips a little lower to get more force and locked him into me as much as I could while I told the other teachers I wasn't sure if I could get it one handed and to call the nurse. My first attempt didn't feel as solid as I hoped and wasn't successful, and that is where I started to feel my gut knot up. My second attempt was much more solid and actually lifted him onto his tippy toes and the mint he was choking on shot out of his mouth, followed by quite a bit of vomit and heavy breathing. He is gonna be okay, he has popped blood vessels on his face and a little bruising, but he will be fine.

I needed to write this out because while I was successful, I still have knots thinking about what if I wouldn't of been able to pull it off. Man, what a Friday.
    OH HELL YEAH!!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    If you have been on the fence re buying yourself something nice- GET OFF THAT FENCE!!!

Bless you, Bless you and Bless you.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Damned fine work!

User Tag List