Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI Tactical Shotgun with low recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    It is setup with Federal 30-30 (3030C) 125JHP load that does around 13" penetration in gelatin from ether 16' or 20" barrels.
    My favorite 30-30 load. I wish I could find more. I'm down to like 80 rounds....

You might want to look at @NH Shooter threads

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37084-1187P

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post904323

We are planning on trying NH Shooter's very good idea to use Low Recoil Buck and Slugs in 12 gauge Rem 11-87 that route to replace the 20 gauge 11-87 as primary (shared) home defense long gun, more to simplify logisitics and to get bit less recoil (heavier gun with 12 gauge low recoil loads ~20 gauge recoil).
    The 11-87 with a port opened to use low recoil buck would indeed be a wise low recoil shotgun.

Ruger PCC can be bought for <$600. Add a Primary Arms red dot for $150 more. Buy 5 Glock magazines in your preferred or legal capacity ($100). The remaining $150 can be used to purchase a sufficient supply of Federal HST, Gold Dot, or Barnes JHPs.

I wouldn't consider anything else in your position.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    I spent some time with the search function, and didnt find anything definitive on the question.

Most of my right shoulder, and all of my right collarbone had to be rebuilt last year with lots of titanium. I've reached the point where I don't believe I will progress any further with physical therapy and I'm doing pretty good given the circumstances. The problem is, I broke the first implant they rebuilt my collarbone with clean in half. Doc was astonished, by it, said he'd never seen the like. Im trying to find a quality, reliable, low recoil semi auto 12g shotgun. It's mostly for my wife when I'm not around, but she's a tiny woman (5'0" 115) so I have the same aversion to recoil for her.

Is there anything that meets my requirements under $1k?

Thanks in advance.
    I have to watch the recoil of firearms for different age/health related reasons, and the shotgun has been the toughest nut for me to crack. I have gone the route of reduced recoil loads, better recoil pads and re-configuring my 870P to ADD weight, as well as taking the push-pull technique seriously; it has all added up and works... at least to a point. I suppose some sort of brake or porting will be the next expenditure, but I know that there is going to come a time where I will have to abandon the shotgun and embrace the carbine.

(My wife is already more recoil averse than I am becoming, so the shotgun is a non-starter for her. To prevent massive thread drift, I will keep carbine observations to myself.)

Some flavor of Beretta 1301 seems to be the default answer for a great number of people at present, but I have sampled a bunch of them and am not feeling it (!) with regard to softer recoil. I would suggest finding some kind soul who has one you can try before you make the leap, or renting one if there is an enlightened range near you.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane.

I shot in a tactical shotgun festival for a number of years where much time, talent and treasure was spent on mitigating recoil within a 12 gauge platform- 25 slug/50 buckshot , 4 or bigger. 6 course of fire IIRC.

When we had the occasional female shooter, an exception to the rule was made and let them shoot 20 gauge if they so chose. It was not recommended for the reasons cited above regarding lightness of weapon and a lack of quality tactically oriented ammo.

The few female competitors we had were heavier than your wife, had been to class and still were getting moved about quite a bit.

Bruises and soreness were common place across the board. While I am sure those stronger and/or with good technique had less bruising/soreness.

From the outside looking in, I do not think that the juice remotely worth the squeeze and would recommend a carbine being set up for my wife, daughter, son and myself if I had your reconstruction challenges.

A Confidently welded carbine is going to be far more effective than a tentatively welded shotgun in the vast majority of circumstances.

By way of extrapolation-I am already starting to see this as agencies with whom I have trained are pivoting to back toward 9 mm away from 40 caliber. Tentative 80% shooters are picking up 5 to 10% easily. Because they are freeing their minds and bodies from having to “run” the gun, they have more bandwidth to solve the accuracy/tactical challenge.

If you are dead set on the shotgun despite all the input above, you will bust your budget- buy a 1301 knowing that the training up is going to leave some likely permanent marks on the body for both of you.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Pretty sure friend Hobie mentioned here https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.c...0-and-law.html is Keith Jones who is well known in by those of us a bit older as Officer Survival and related instructor/mentor @Chuck Haggard might still be in touch with him, I haven't talked to Keith in few years but comments on that link match what Keith has told me in the past.
    I can ask Keith about that.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    My favorite 30-30 load. I wish I could find more. I'm down to like 80 rounds....

The 11-87 with a port opened to use low recoil buck would indeed be a wise low recoil shotgun.
    NH Shooter uses a normal vent rib barrel, cut down if needed, so you actually gain ability to use low recoil loads, at least the slugs and 9 pellet OO Federal low recoil loads worked reliably in his gun. But still can use full power loads.

He played around to get 8 pellet low recoil load to work but the 9 pellet loaded worked fine with the Vent rib barrel.

I've shot low recoil buck in my normal slug barrel 11-87 and it always worked with few I fired in it but was noticeably sluggish in cycling.

Site Supporter
    I know you said semi auto, but have you thought about one of those mossberg pump guns set up to run mini-shells? I think Chris Baker recently did a video on revisiting the mini shells and it was thought provoking.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Y'all gave me a lot to consider, and I appreciate the knowledge.

Fortunately, if I do decide on a PCC, I'm very familiar with carbine usage.

I was originally considering shotgun because I live in an apartment and dont want my neighbors dodging 77grn hot shit.

Going to look into a PCC. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    Y'all gave me a lot to consider, and I appreciate the knowledge.

Fortunately, if I do decide on a PCC, I'm very familiar with carbine usage.

I was originally considering shotgun because I live in an apartment and dont want my neighbors dodging 77grn hot shit.

Going to look into a PCC. Thanks again.
    Good luck!

I hear you with apartment, we are stuck in apartment for at least another year or two, AFAIK there really aren't any shotgun loads anyone would really want to trust for self defense that won't penetrate as much if not more than a carefully chosen 223/5.56 load.

IDK if PCC loads would perform significantly different than same load in pistol length barrel?

I don't like going below No.1 Buckshot in 12 gauge or Federal No.2 Buckshot https://www.federalpremium.com/shots...1-P258+2B.html in the 20 gauge. As far as recoil in gf's 20 gauge Rem 11-87 Youth gun nether of us can tell difference between 2.75" & 3" buckshot even if other person loads gun with a mix so it can be fired for perceived recoil without knowing which shot is which shell.

Think there might be a sticky or two here on one of the subforums that might cover 5.56 ammo selection for different missions, my single AR doesn't have fast twist barrel so don't any experience with 77 grain loads.

Personally for that niche, apartments & such, I tend to favor Hornady TAP Urban https://www.hornadyle.com/ or similar Federal load https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/default.aspx though there are certainly good arguments for different loads in that niche.

In the Zanesville Ohio Incident they handled Lions, Tigers, and Bears with TAP ammo, so while I doubt anyone would claim TAP is ideal Bear ammo it worked repeatedly in that incident.

Massad Ayoob and Keith Jones interviewed the police that dealt with that incident in a podcast, Keith has relative that is a member of that department podcast link https://chartable.com/podcasts/proar...nd-bears-oh-my

The 1301 Comp is available 21" and is less than the Tactical, typically just a little over the $1k budget, and probably only ~3" longer.
    Not necessarily saying a shotgun would be the best thing, but that might be the best shotgun.

User Tag List